Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Why haven't we discussed how good Liverpool were?

I thought Liverpool were awesome on Saturday, they are certainly starting to play with the Rodgers mentality with the wing backs bombing forward and the passing was exceptional.

Gerrard and Allen bossed midfield, I think they will be a force to be reckoned with this season and could easily finish Top four.

It''s all very well acting all ''doom and gloom'' and slitting our wrists and yes I accept we were poor but I think Liverpool made us look poor by how well they played.

For what its worth I feel Hughton deserves at least until xmas to work his magic...if we haven''t improved by then I think we need to get someone in before the January transfer window, but I don''t think that''s going to be necessary...

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "] I think they will be a force to be reckoned with this season and could easily finish Top four.  [/quote]

I''m sure they''ll give everyone a game but finishing in the top 4 is going to be huge ask for them and I think they''ll struggle to do it.

2 of the 4 places are going to be taken up by the Manchester teams and at least 1 of (if not both of) Arsenal or Chelsea will be up there. Then you''ve got Spurs and a strong Everton team to compete with.

Top 8 quite possible but top 4 unlikely, I think.

They were good, but, I think our set up allowed them to be that good. sahin, Gerrard, Allen, Suso...all more than comfortable on the ball, Sterling has pace and Suarez is simply world class.

I thought we were overrun in midfield from about 5 minutes in, Allen, GerrardandSahin/Suso had it far too easy, we needed to go like for like...BUT.... Once we are behind there is no point changing tack to contain them, we need to score twice.

I don''t have the answers, but then I''m not paid to have them, I just think we set up in a naive way on Saturday.

Oh, and we miss Kyle Naughton.

Agree with Timmah here.

No doubt Liverpool made us look decidedly average however I also think we allowed them to look that way better than they are.

The disappointing thing is that we didn''t seem to have a Plan B or C or be able to change things around when we saw the way they were playing or the counter some of their attacks. We looked bereft of ideas!!

Agree with the sentiment on here.

They were good but not great, and we contributed greatly to their performance, as opposed to Liverpool influencing our performance.

Suarez was awesome, but take him out of that side on Saturday and they were definately not a top 6 side. I certainly would worry greatly that Reina looks at EVERY possible opportunity to roll the ball out to his defenders, a very dangerous game. Don''t forget that they made 2 mistakes and we scored from both.

We have our own failings,(detailed in many different threads on here!) but we, at times, had them very worried, so a much better side could make them pay big style.

Did anyone else (Chris Hughton?) see ''Being Liverpool'' on Channel 5 on Friday night? BIG clue given when they said Rodgers likes to press teams!!!!

If Hughton had lined five up in midfield and lost, people would have screamed he was negative.  Despite the lack of wideman options, he went two up front to have a go, and it didn''t work because Liverpool have world class players, plus we gifted them two goals.Long way to go yet.

I refuse to get cariied away with the result on Saturday.   Liverpool were allowed to look good, almost as good as Chris Hughton talked them up to be in his press conference!   Crowd out Suarez, fully test Wisdom and bombard Reina is a good starting point.   Reinas'' confidence is at a low ebb just now and he''s not as safe a keeper as he used to be.   Results show that for Liverpool to win a match they must score at least 3 goals!   (apart from pre-season and Europe)

However, the result was a good booster for the Redmen and may put them on a run.   Once they have three consecutive wins under their belt I will be more willing to think their is a recipe for a good league position.

On paper all Chelsea have to do is turn up!   And that could well work in Norwich''s favour - a great thing about football is no match is a foregone conclusion and everyone has a punchers chance

Disagree with this entirely, McVeigh said Liverpool were exceptional on Canary Call after the game and I couldnt believe what I was hearing.

Bloody excuses, Liverpool were good, there were far from the wonder team people are making them out to be, watch them lose next weekend.

It was simply a case of coming up against a quality forward line in Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling and Sahin. We have papered over the cracks with the QPR and West Ham games as there attack was woeful. Newcastle we did very well, depsite losing.

These 3 games, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal will show us where were really at.

Why haven''t we discussed how good Liverpool were?I didn''t need to discuss how good they were, Chris Hughton could not stop talking about it before the match !

We made them look good by giving the far too much space to play a passing game by failing to close down, just as we made Fulham look good, who incidentally went on to get thrashed by newcomers West Ham who also easily beat QPR last night. More and  more excuses will only serve not to solve our own problems of lack of good tactics, poor fitness of some individuals and motivation.

I think as other have said to a degree we made them look good by standing off and giving to much respect.

That said it was always dangerous that so many people seemed to expect us to beat them in the lead up to the game. They may have been in the bottom three but they are not a bottom three side and will finish in the top 7 or 8. Put simply if both sides played well they would beat us 8 or 9 times out of 10 because they are a better side than us. On Saturday they played well and we didn''t. Throw in the sort of shambolic defending we served up on saturday and a heavy defeat is almost inevitable.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Disagree with this entirely, McVeigh said Liverpool were exceptional on Canary Call after the game and I couldnt believe what I was hearing.

Bloody excuses, Liverpool were good, there were far from the wonder team people are making them out to be, watch them lose next weekend.

It was simply a case of coming up against a quality forward line in Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling and Sahin. We have papered over the cracks with the QPR and West Ham games as there attack was woeful. Newcastle we did very well, depsite losing.

These 3 games, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal will show us where were really at.[/quote]

No they won''t. These three games are largely irrelevant in terms of where we are really at or where we will finish because we could play well in all three and still lose all three comfortably. Games against the top 6 in the premiership are pretty much all write off with any wins being a bonus except for the notable exception of Wigan last season. If we lose to Chelsea and Arsenal it doesn;t mean anything really other than we will have lost to two very good sides who will be in the top 4. Liverpool is slightly different but on their day they are still a good side. I think, however, had we done ourselves justice it would have been a pretty close game.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Disagree with this entirely, McVeigh said Liverpool were exceptional on Canary Call after the game and I couldnt believe what I was hearing. Bloody excuses, Liverpool were good, there were far from the wonder team people are making them out to be, watch them lose next weekend. It was simply a case of coming up against a quality forward line in Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling and Sahin. We have papered over the cracks with the QPR and West Ham games as there attack was woeful. Newcastle we did very well, depsite losing. These 3 games, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal will show us where were really at.[/quote]

No they won''t. These three games are largely irrelevant in terms of where we are really at or where we will finish because we could play well in all three and still lose all three comfortably. Games against the top 6 in the premiership are pretty much all write off with any wins being a bonus except for the notable exception of Wigan last season. If we lose to Chelsea and Arsenal it doesn;t mean anything really other than we will have lost to two very good sides who will be in the top 4. Liverpool is slightly different but on their day they are still a good side. I think, however, had we done ourselves justice it would have been a pretty close game.

[/quote]

I agree, but if we capitulate in these games without a fight, I want Hughton out. We have to put in a performance that shows 100% commitment such as we did at Tottenham. I reiterate, it''s performance that counts, not result !!!

I can accept that we will lose matches. I can accept that there are teams who have technically superior players. I can accept that the decisions of referees will occasionally !! go against us. What I cannot accept is my team not giving 100%, lacking passion and not playing for the shirt. Two questions:- 1) Really how bad is Suarez'' hygiene problem as none of our players wanted to go anywhere near him?   2) Are our subs really allowed to have their mobile ''phones with them on the bench?

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]I thought Liverpool were awesome on Saturday, they are certainly starting to play with the Rodgers mentality with the wing backs bombing forward and the passing was exceptional. Gerrard and Allen bossed midfield, I think they will be a force to be reckoned with this season and could easily finish Top four. It''s all very well acting all ''doom and gloom'' and slitting our wrists and yes I accept we were poor but I think Liverpool made us look poor by how well they played. For what its worth I feel Hughton deserves at least until xmas to work his magic...if we haven''t improved by then I think we need to get someone in before the January transfer window, but I don''t think that''s going to be necessary...[/quote]

I''d like to have some of what you''ve been taking. I''ve been trying to escape from the world of reality for years.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Disagree with this entirely, McVeigh said Liverpool were exceptional on Canary Call after the game and I couldnt believe what I was hearing. Bloody excuses, Liverpool were good, there were far from the wonder team people are making them out to be, watch them lose next weekend. It was simply a case of coming up against a quality forward line in Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling and Sahin. We have papered over the cracks with the QPR and West Ham games as there attack was woeful. Newcastle we did very well, depsite losing. These 3 games, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal will show us where were really at.[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree, but if we capitulate in these games without a fight, I want Hughton out. We have to put in a performance that shows 100% commitment such as we did at Tottenham. I reiterate, it''s performance that counts, not result !!!

[/quote]

Paul - on this you and i agree. Performance and pride is paramount on Saturday (and again against Arsenal) and who knows, if we play as we know we can then we will be in the game and may well spring a surprise to kick start our season.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Paul - on this you and i agree. Performance and pride is paramount on Saturday (and again against Arsenal) and who knows, if we play as we know we can then we will be in the game and may well spring a surprise to kick start our season.

[/quote]

If we attack without fear, as we used to do with Lambert , then I agree, yet again, we could get a result.  I only wish Hughton could see that.

Mate we made them look good, the result for them was never in doubt always easier to play in those circumstances, they had 2 points at start of play their worst start since Shankley was a choirboy, we were rubbish, sorry no plaudits for Liverpool from me.

[quote user="Webbo118"]I can accept that we will lose matches. I can accept that there are teams who have technically superior players. I can accept that the decisions of referees will occasionally !! go against us. What I cannot accept is my team not giving 100%, lacking passion and not playing for the shirt. Two questions:- 1) Really how bad is Suarez'' hygiene problem as none of our players wanted to go anywhere near him?   2) Are our subs really allowed to have their mobile ''phones with them on the bench?[/quote]

Webbo - I think point 1 was down to Suarez''s footballing brain, and point 2, couldn''t believe what I was seeing! How can that be a good thing in any shape or form?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

[quote user="Webbo118"]I can accept that we will lose matches. I can accept that there are teams who have technically superior players. I can accept that the decisions of referees will occasionally !! go against us. What I cannot accept is my team not giving 100%, lacking passion and not playing for the shirt. Two questions:- 1) Really how bad is Suarez'' hygiene problem as none of our players wanted to go anywhere near him?   2) Are our subs really allowed to have their mobile ''phones with them on the bench?[/quote]

Webbo - I think point 1 was down to Suarez''s footballing brain, and point 2, couldn''t believe what I was seeing! How can that be a good thing in any shape or form?

[/quote]

Well, I don''t remember seeing many tackles or other attempts to stop Suarez. Other teams stop him, so why do we have to allow him a hat-trick every game at Carrow Road ? If he was that good he''d be scoring hat-tricks against most teams throughout the season. He doesn''t because it''s only us that are rubbish at handling him by backing off and not pressuring him!!!!

They are good, but not that good. If they lose Suarez to injury, they could become pretty toothless. He was by far the best player on the pitch, through his clinical finishing.

They were good, but about three or even four goals came because we did not close them down quickly enough or committed other errors, and one came from a deflection which could have gone anywhere. Defensively they were not not much better than we were, and with any sort of decent finishing we could have scored four or even five. They may improve, but we shall meet much better opposition in the next two matches, even if they lack a rampant Suarez.

The manager has to do something about laying off - Martin, I think it was, actaully turned his back on Suarez for one of the goals. Where was the blocking and close marking we saw at times last season? We more or less let him shoot when he wanted - very poor defending.

[quote user="Shankslad"]

I refuse to get cariied away with the result on Saturday.   Liverpool were allowed to look good, almost as good as Chris Hughton talked them up to be in his press conference!   Crowd out Suarez, fully test Wisdom and bombard Reina is a good starting point.   Reinas'' confidence is at a low ebb just now and he''s not as safe a keeper as he used to be.   Results show that for Liverpool to win a match they must score at least 3 goals!   (apart from pre-season and Europe)

However, the result was a good booster for the Redmen and may put them on a run.   Once they have three consecutive wins under their belt I will be more willing to think their is a recipe for a good league position.

On paper all Chelsea have to do is turn up!   And that could well work in Norwich''s favour - a great thing about football is no match is a foregone conclusion and everyone has a punchers chance

A good post.

I do think we made Liverpool look better than they have been all season although they played very well against the Mancs the previous weekend and were unlucky to lose that match. I agree that Chris Hughton has an annoying habit of '' bigging-up '' the opposition too much and that needs to stop.

Suarez is a very good player and troubles teams better than ours. We did manage to shackle him at Anfield last season but he certainly loves the Norfolk air !!

Regarding Chelsea I really can''t see anything other than a convincing home win. Our last four results at Stamford Bridge were three 4-0 reverses and a much closer 3-1 defeat last term. As you say matches aren''t played on paper but I don''t think I''ll be putting the house on getting anything on Saturday.

[/quote]