Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Bent

I like firm management. The manager is boss and players with big egos sometimes have to be taught that essential fact.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]not bad going so far....worst Villa start in the Premiership and now alienating your top striker?!?[/quote]

PL is a "we''re all in it together" kind of man. In Villa''s case it could mean "we''re all in the sh*t together"..............

[quote user="paul moy"]I like firm management. The manager is boss and players with big egos sometimes have to be taught that essential fact.[/quote]

Lets see if the Villa fans see it that way if Lambert continues to play that £7m "Heskey Mk II" up front instead of their top scorer?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="paul moy"]I like firm management. The manager is boss and players with big egos sometimes have to be taught that essential fact.[/quote]

Lets see if the Villa fans see it that way if Lambert continues to play that £7m "Heskey Mk II" up front instead of their top scorer?!?

[/quote]

Lambert is showing that nobody is an automatic choice. That''s good for squad morale, team spirit and individual effort, things that he is a master at achieving. 

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

Lambert is showing that nobody is an automatic choice. That''s good for squad morale, team spirit and individual effort, things that he is a master at achieving. 

[/quote]

i think Villa fans can accept this of the likes of underachievers such as Hutton,Warnock and to an extent Given but Bent is an different matter, you can get away with making calls like that if you''re winning but as I''ve said this is Villa''s worst ever start to a Premiership campaign and if they''re scraping 1-1 draws at home to the likes of WBA whilst their best striker sits on the bench, I can see one or two becoming restless??

I will also add that ''alienating'' his main striker worked as he came on as a sub and scored. [:D]

[quote user="paul moy"]I will also add that ''alienating'' his main striker worked as he came on as a sub and scored. [:D][/quote]

I''d argue that had he had started they may not have been in the position of chasing a late equalizer with 10 minutes to go?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i think Villa fans can accept this of the likes of underachievers such as Hutton,Warnock and to an extent Given but Bent is an different matter, you can get away with making calls like that if you''re winning but as I''ve said this is Villa''s worst ever start to a Premiership campaign and if they''re scraping 1-1 draws at home to the likes of WBA whilst their best striker sits on the bench, I can see one or two becoming restless??

[/quote]

Well, from what I''ve heard from Villa fans phoning in to the radio, they seem very happy and are giving Lambert a lot of leeway because they realise he is a fantastic manager who has made a raft of signings that need settling in, as opposed to the awful defensive McLeish from Brum they had last season.  I''ve no doubts Lambert will succeed there, unfortunately !! [:(] 

[quote user="paul moy"]I will also add that ''alienating'' his main striker worked as he came on as a sub and scored. [:D][/quote]

I''d argue that had he had started they may not have been in the position of chasing a late equalizer with 10 minutes to go?

[/quote]

We''ll never know, but I like Lambert''s style.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]It was just what was needed. Bent looked a lot more focused when he came on at the weekend. Nobody is too good to be dropped and it''s great that all our players are finally realising that. Bent will now know that to guarantee his place he needs to play at the top of his game.Benteke is nowhere near being a ''Hesky Mk II. He''s scored for a start and has been unlucky not to score more. His decision making against Albion could have been better but he''s still settling in and the signs are very positive.As for drawing with "the likes of Albion", this is Albions best start in the top flight for thirty odd years and a win at the weekend would have seen them go third. They''ve got a squad built over a few seasons and have brought in someone to continue the building not to start from scratch, which is what Lambert is doing at Villa.

[quote user="Ghost of Pongo Waring"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was just what was needed. Bent looked a lot more focused when he came on at the weekend. Nobody is too good to be dropped and it''s great that all our players are finally realising that. Bent will now know that to guarantee his place he needs to play at the top of his game.

Benteke is nowhere near being a ''Hesky Mk II. He''s scored for a start and has been unlucky not to score more. His decision making against Albion could have been better but he''s still settling in and the signs are very positive.

As for drawing with "the likes of Albion", this is Albions best start in the top flight for thirty odd years and a win at the weekend would have seen them go third. They''ve got a squad built over a few seasons and have brought in someone to continue the building not to start from scratch, which is what Lambert is doing at Villa.

[/quote]

hence the reason why you need your best players on the pitch?. There''s making apoint and then there''s cutting off your nose to spite your face whilst dropping points in the process during what is , as previously stated, your worst start to a Premiership season.

Lambert likes players who have something to prove.

With Bent''s attitude and arrogant, high, self opinion of himself, he obviously thought he had nothing to prove.

To be fair to Lambert, he has pumped Bent up, to make him believe he has something to prove!

Time will tell but it could be another Lambert master stroke!

My gut feeling is Bent will be gone by the end of January.There are some players who just wont take to Lambert''s management style, IMHO.

[quote user="Billabong"]Lambert likes players who have something to prove. With Bent''s attitude and arrogant, high, self opinion of himself, he obviously thought he had nothing to prove. To be fair to Lambert, he has pumped Bent up, to make him believe he has something to prove! Time will tell but it could be another Lambert master stroke![/quote]

Indeed, Lambert sees the bigger picture, rather than just one game. He is more than just a coach. [;)]

hence the reason why you need your best players on the pitch?. There''s making apoint and then there''s cutting off your nose to spite your face whilst dropping points in the process during what is , as previously stated, your worst start to a Premiership season.

[/quote]I doubt very much whether it was done just to prove a point. Bent has not been playing at his best so far this season. Benteke and Gabby had played very well in the win against Man City and didn''t deserved to be dropped. Bents response is what we''d want.Of course he was disappointed to be dropped, I''d be more worried if he wasn''t, but he knows what to do to make sure that he''s not disappointed like that in the future.

[quote user="Billabong"]Lambert likes players who have something to prove.

With Bent''s attitude and arrogant, high, self opinion of himself, he obviously thought he had nothing to prove.

To be fair to Lambert, he has pumped Bent up, to make him believe he has something to prove!

Time will tell but it could be another Lambert master stroke![/quote]While this shows everyone who''s boss I think this is a big gamble by Lambert.Someone like Bent who scores goals for fun is a very valuable commodity. Not only has he lost the captain''s armband he''s now clearly really p*ssed off at being dropped and no doubt will soon be  hammering on the manager''s door for an explanation.Unless Lambert has brushed up on his ego-massaging techniques I expect to see a transfer request winging it''s way into his '' In '' tray rather sooner than later.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Billabong"]Lambert likes players who have something to prove. With Bent''s attitude and arrogant, high, self opinion of himself, he obviously thought he had nothing to prove. To be fair to Lambert, he has pumped Bent up, to make him believe he has something to prove! Time will tell but it could be another Lambert master stroke![/quote]

While this shows everyone who''s boss I think this is a big gamble by Lambert.

Someone like Bent who scores goals for fun is a very valuable commodity. Not only has he lost the captain''s armband he''s now clearly really p*ssed off at being dropped and no doubt will soon be  hammering on the manager''s door for an explanation.

Unless Lambert has brushed up on his ego-massaging techniques I expect to see a transfer request winging it''s way into his '' In '' tray rather sooner than later.
[/quote]

That''s Plan B, probably. At worst get a highly paid primadonna off of the wage bill in January and money in the kitty for a splurge in the transfer market for targets he has already identified.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Lambert did something similar with Hoolahan. That turned out very well. Lambert is the real deal, he knows what he''s doing.[/quote]

That''s all right then.