Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Re: Would Darren Huckerbys make a Permanent Deal

dream on i''m afraid - his wages are at a level that we just can''t commit to in the long term - we''ve already broken the clubs wage structure to bring him in. A 2 or 3 year contract would cost us around 2 million before we even forked out a transfer fee.

I dont think anyone who was a the game on saturday would complain if Huckerby became permanent. His workrate and running was superb, its a shame he didn''t get more support.

Maybe offer less, then extra with appearances, and a bonus for promotion.

Still need steal in the midfield and a new centre back but the team is starting to take shape, with harper providing good competition for rivers.

I would have bet that all Nottm Forest fans were saying exactly the same thing whilst he was on loan there and what happened he returned to Man City. Why did he return ? Probably because of two reasons. His wages were too high for Forest to even think about and also Man City probably wanted about 3-4 Million for him. We can dream of course but I bet he will be heading back in December and that will be the last we see of him. That is of course unless he decides to take a drop in wages of about 15-20 grand a week. Would you.

Man City paid £3m for him and they don''t want him. We might get him for £1m in the current market. He''s on about £17k so he''d have to drop by about £10k. Someone in the bottom 10 of the Premiership will probably buy him or loan him in January.

Agree. Utterly. And I think most City fans appreciate the facts so succinctly put by Bomber - doesn''t mean we cant enjoy Hucks in a Norwich shirt while he''s here, tho!

2-0 to City tonight.

I dont know what the exact rules say but I know we cant loan him out for the whole season but is there a chance that we can loan him again this season say for the last month? Personally the whole three month thing seems a little stupid as there doesnt seem to be any real reason to stop older players being loaned out for the season, especially in the current financial climate.

It would be fantastic if he came here but the consensus above seems right to me. I doubt very much we could afford him. But the combination of him, Crouch and one centre back would be the big gamble to take us up. If they have done the stuff by Xmas the Borad really have to consider if they are brave enough to make teh signings and go all out for promotion. At that stage if we are anywhere near the top two it may be a gamble worth taking.

And another thing. If we paid £1-2m for Huckerby and didn''t go up, what will he be worth if we then have to sell? The same amount. So we would have effectively paid his wages but should get back the transfer fee if it fails. Same as Crouch, but we might get hime for less and if he works out with us his value could actually increase.

But realistically I just can''t see the board and Doomcaster taking the punt. Anyway Middlesbrough would probably buy Huckerby, they seem to go for anyone not headed for Chelsea. Or Southampton. But if Keegan refuses to sell him to a rival and Huck likes it here, you never know...................

Another thought crosses my mind regarding the financing of a permanent deal for Darren Huckerby. This is surely the last season for Iwan Roberts, who is reportedly on £8K per week, so this could well bridge the financial gap needed to bring a class replacement to the club.

All very good points.

Anyone with the mental capacity of an Ipswich fan can tell huckerbys good and would be a great addition. The free role that he has been given, seems to be what we need from paul Mcveigh. Hopefully in the months he is here Mcveigh can learn a lot and improve his game. Then even if Huck doesnt stay Mcveigh may be able to step into his place.

I must agree with most of what Tumbleweed says, however we MUST sign Darren Huckerbys at all cost. Worthy has thrown down the gaunlet to the board, now lets see them match his ambition!. Of course its a risk, but faint heart never won fair lady after all. Otherwise its going to be yet another year in this awful division, do they REALLY want that?.