Sign in to follow this  
Dexx

Holt & Co

Can some one please explain to me what gary holt do on the pitch all he seem to to do is run around pointing at players , yesterday he did not even touch the ball for nearly 20 minutes.

I thought i midfield have played very poor in the last few games they dont even close the opponnats down or chase back to defend just plenty of ball watching , i think the midfield has been a major fault this season as well as poor defenders we dont have a player that can just take control of the midfield and spray the ball about  should have gave safri more of a chance.

[quote]Can some one please explain to me what gary holt do on the pitch all he seem to to do is run around pointing at players , yesterday he did not even touch the ball for nearly 20 minutes. I thought i m...[/quote]

Hi Dexx. Everyone position had their specific job to do, Gary Holt is a defensive midfielder and his job is mainly marking people, defending, or filling the gaps at the back, if you not forget on Saturday when Adam Drury went forward to do the overlap and cannot get back in time, it was Holt in left back position, to fill in the important space, slow their attack; remember Luis Garcia''s goal against us at Carrow Road, there was nobody to do it for us to cover Charlton''s left back position, that''s why I always said Gary Holt was importance to the team.

However, I would also like to point ths passing and skill of Gary Holt was surely not the best, or you can say below average, you can see in the first half, near the left of the center circle, when Gary Holt had the ball, then lost it liked a schoolboy by lost concentration, there was nobody around him, and nobody pressure him! It was very poor; but you had to know his job on the field was not making "killer pass" or go forward. You can argue there are much more players can do a "defensive midfielder" job better than Holty, Yes I agree, but we should also look at our money box -- can we afford it?

The midfield was poor this season and it''s no time to do the finger pointing now, I think we are mostly miss was someone to boss the mifield, Holty was the defensive midfielder and Damo was the attacking midfielder, but between them, there was nobody to boss it. It was what we miss more, not always slaming Holty.

I would love to see Safri get his chance but we are not the manager, we did not know how well the players can do for the team because the manager nearly face the players everyday.

Compare and contrast the performances of Makelele and Holt and you will realise how poor our man is. Makelele read the game, swept up most threats that we created but rarely moved very far at all - on the other hand Holt was all over the pitch but only to chase the ball, which had gone by the time he got there.  Makelele was quiet but had a very positive influence on the game and rarely lost the ball - 5th amendment pleaded on behalf of Holt.  However Holt will be an important member of the team again next season.

It summed up the difference between us and premier teams, & as Andy Gray has said Norwich and their manager are naive in their approach.  Chasing a ball is what dogs do - players need to read a game, be organised and tackle to retrieve the ball.

The side has too many ball (or is it shadow) chasers and not enough ball users.

OTBC