Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Most significant result in Norwich City's history?

Following on from my post on the Michael Theo thread, what are people''s views on the most significant result in the Club''s history? When I say significant, I mean long term historical significance.

Norwich 1 Colchester 7 must be up there: a real low low point, which led to the sacking of Gunn, the appointment of the architect of our downfall and 2 successive promotions followed by a succesful year in the premiership. Without that humiliation would Gunn have been given the push so early, would we have picked up the momentum that took us on that giddy journey thereafter? I think not?

Don''t think so because the boardroom changes had already been made. I can''t believe that one result was Gunn''s downfall. I believe he only got the job because all efforts were going on getting the new CE and Chairman. Being relegated to League One was what drove those changes but I don''t think you can put that down to one individual result.

No more than you can point to one goal that afternoon as the cause of our defeat.

There are usually over things going on and one event similar to that result is more an effect of those changes, than any cause

That''s why Hughton has not been sacked after Saturdays defeat

The great debate of history. Anybody remember the exam question: The assassination of Franz Ferdindand caused the Fist World War - discuss. The Colchester result was surely the trigger that allowed other contributing factors to come into play. Without it, would things have transpired in the same way?

Against us - any of the 3 fa cup semisor 7-1 at home to Colchester (lambert)For us - beating Town in 1985 league cup semisDrawing 3-3 at Middlesborough to secure 3rd in 1992Pompey 0 - 1 Norwich to send us up

if my granny had bollox would she be my grandad, who knows ?

Arguably it will prove to be Cardiff bottling their game and losing 3-0 (was it?) to allow us to clinch promotion with a 1-0 victory against Portsmouth.  That result may mean we remain solvent and afloat when the day of financial reckoning for football clubs comes.

Communist. Actuallly, if truth be known i''m a bit of a Hobsbawm man myself.

it was a case of where he was coming from, rather than where it lead him

I know he didn''t have a good word to say about Cowling either

The 1-7 is a good shout.

Trouble with most league games is that they''re only really significant in the context of all the others, but there''s little doubt in my mind that the Colchester result brought things to a head much more quickly than might otherwise have been the case. If Gunn had lasted 10 games it might have been too late for Lambert to take us up.

On a much more minor note, I nominate the draw with Northampton in the League Cup in 2003. Worthington seemed to pick a team designed to show the board just how short of firepower we were.

Three days later, enter Hucks. A year later, the promised land for the first time in nearly ten years.

The Arsenal-Wednesday game is a great shout too. How appropriate that the winner was scored by Andy Linighan. Past Chris Woods (can that be right?)

I was watching a piece on Hillsborough last week and I thought I heard somebody (I think it was Ray Houghton) say something along the lines that if Man Utd (?) had won their FA Cup Quarter Final the venues for the FA Cup semi finals in 89 would have been the other way around and Norwich would have found themselves at Hillsborough.

I dont know how accurate that is?

[quote user="Brucie"]

I was watching a piece on Hillsborough last week and I thought I heard somebody (I think it was Ray Houghton) say something along the lines that if Man Utd (?) had won their FA Cup Quarter Final the venues for the FA Cup semi finals in 89 would have been the other way around and Norwich would have found themselves at Hillsborough.

I dont know how accurate that is?

[/quote]I would guess we probably wouldn''t have taken as many fans as Liverpool did, so it is possible the disaster would not have happened (at least not in the way it did). However, as many have pointed out, it was a disaster waiting to happen, so if not at Hillsborough, it would eventually have happened somewhere else.