Sign in to follow this  
Jonzey

Michael Theoklitos

My mind was wandering today and I got to thinking about Michael Theoklitos, our keeper on the day Colchester drubbed us 1-7.

I think his part in the history of Norwich City FC is extremely interesting; his one and only game for Norwich was a game that acted as the fulcrum for the clubs phoenix like rise through the leagues over the next two and a half years.

He is seen by many now as a cult figure after quite possibly the worst display of goal keeping not only for Norwich, but in the history of football in this country. Is this fair though, how was he rated before he arrived, who signed him up, would he have settled in if that day had gone differently and perhaps still be our keeper, where is he now? What are his thoughts of that day, how did it affect him, does he still wake in a cold sweat thinking about that day?

This is surely an ideal interview opportunity, unless of course it has already happened. Does anybody know him, has anyone seen an interview, is anybody planning one, does anyone care? I for one would love to know what he thinks and I really think it is a fantastic story. How about you?

It was not the worst GK display in history of football.

He wasn''t even that bad. Obviously he was no where near good.

But two goals were just great goals, a Fox FK and another long range effort (I don''t remember him flapping at it, or it being an easy save, although I could be wrong). The first was about 70-30 Otsemebors fault. Why on earth would you kick the ball up in the air towards your keeper? And at least one other goal can be blamed on the defence, I seem to remember Nelson falling over and letting a player walk past him into an easy shooting position.

He was one of, if not the best GK in Oz before he joined us, and I think is again since leaving us. Obviously their game is well below ours in terms of quality. But he''s not a rubbish GK.

He''s not Theoklitos anymore, he''s legally changed his name to Michael Theo

And I believe now he is one of the A-League''s best goalkeepers keeping one of the best clean sheet records in the league

[quote user="Gingerpele"] But two goals were just great goals, a Fox FK and another long range effort (I don''t remember him flapping at it, or it being an easy save, although I could be wrong). . [/quote]

John Ruddy or any other good ''keeper would have saved Fox''s freekick all day long. It was at a nice height and it wasn''t in the corner. Unfortunately Theo didn''t have the reach or the reactions to make it.

The long range short later in the game was fair enough, it would have taken something special to save it.

Most of the goals in that game could have been dealt with considerably better by the ''keeper, even if it was mistakes infront of him that created the opportunities.

It''s good to know he''s doing well, and I know he can''t have been that bad if we signed him. He was a victim of circumstance, in the centre of a perfect storm that day.

My interest in the story is how or if it affected him, does he believe it to be his fault, does he think it was unfair he was never given another chance, is he embarrassed by that day. I''d also like to know if fans of other football clubs are aware of the story, as it is bizarre, after all everytime Norwich are featured in anyway on TV that scoreline is mentioned. Do they know the impact Michael Theoklitos had on the club?

Does anybody else think there''s the makings of a very decent story/interview here?

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

I remember a performance in the mid 90''s for City by Simon Tracey (I think against Liverpool???) which was at least as good.

[/quote]

Everton away in the FA Cup????? - Absolutely bloody dreadful!

I don''t think you can judge a player on one match. Certainly not a goalkeeper.

If that was the case the 10 goals Ruddy has conceded in 2 games alone this season would see him moved from between the sticks.

I''ll stick to what i''ve always said, You can be the best Goalkeeper in the world, but if you don''t have a defence backing you up, you''re nothing.

In other words, sack off Barnett and get Bennett playing. But thats for another time, and another forum

That''s partly the point Canary1902, you can''t judge a player one performance. So how does Michael Theo (klitos) feel about being dropped and never playing again? The guy moved from Melbourne to play for us, (did he buy a house, live in a hotel?) played one infamous game giving what he describes as his worst ever performance, and disappeared back to Australia six months later, apparently not getting another professional contract until 2010.

I''d love to see a writer do a piece on this. I think it''s a great story, not only from his perspective, but also in general given the infamy of that match and what happened afterwards.

I see where you''re coming from, it was a massive move for him personally and he must have anticipated being here a few years and not just coming all the way here to be playing one game. Nothing''s ever really been said from him since that day I believe.

[quote user="Canary1902"]

I don''t think you can judge a player on one match. Certainly not a goalkeeper.

If that was the case the 10 goals Ruddy has conceded in 2 games alone this season would see him moved from between the sticks.

I''ll stick to what i''ve always said, You can be the best Goalkeeper in the world, but if you don''t have a defence backing you up, you''re nothing.

In other words, sack off Barnett and get Bennett playing. But thats for another time, and another forum

[/quote]

You can let in a lot of goals and still have had a good game, even be mom. For instance, szczesny had a very good game against man united last season, it wasn''t his fault the rest of the team didn''t and he let in 8. However my recollection of the game in question is theo was as easily as culpable as any other player that day.

Can''t remember what happened afterwards. Was his contract terminated immediately? Must have cost us a pretty penny to get shot. However, given the events thereafter, would have been worth every cent. As was the pain of the match itself.

Has ever the history of the club been so influenced by one result?

[quote user="dpit"]Can''t remember what happened afterwards. Was his contract terminated immediately? Must have cost us a pretty penny to get shot. However, given the events thereafter, would have been worth every cent. As was the pain of the match itself.

Has ever the history of the club been so influenced by one result?[/quote]From what I remember his contract was terminated about December 2009.

I also recall that Lambert fined him after he failed to turn up as sub keeper for a cup game or something?

Not sure when we got rid though.

The problem we had with Theo was that it wasn''t an isolated incident. He made some very bad errors in reserve fixtures after that. But admittedly his confidence must have been very low and deep down he must of known Lambert was very unlikely to give him another shot after he had signed Fraser Forster.

He did have a bad game but I there is no way he can carry the blame for everything that happened. Doc and Nelse were dreadful and given the absolute runaround by the Platt/Lisbie combination. 3 members of the midfield have never played at that level again and Hoolahan has (until last Saturday) never played on the left wing again.

We can argue about the standard of the A league all day long but his performances there indicate he is a decent goalkeeper. I would imagine he feels pretty upset and bitter about the whole thing. It was a big step coming to England and it led to him being humiliated, whilst wasting about 6 months of his career in the process. I for one would also find it fascinating to hear his few on that day. Was it a freak performance? Or was the preparation suspect meaning this result was on the cards.

[quote user="Canary1902"]

[/quote]Would that be the Ryan Bennett who partnered Michael Turner away at Fulham where we lost 5-0 and looked all over the place?Surely you''d prefer Barnett and Bennett to Turner and anybody?

(Although Turner and Hooch would be mildly funny until we went 9-0 down)

I''ve always said that Theo never got a fair shout and was horribly ridiculed on the back of a single game where our entire team (and particularly our defence) were terrible.I didn''t blame him for half of the goals and although he should have done better with the others, it was his first game over here in a completely different league, thousands of miles away from his home and he simply had a poor match.This was clearly held against him by PL and he wasn''t treated very well (if you believe rumours) and then came the cup debacle where he missed the team bus...I''m sure I''ve read an article where Theo is asked about his time here and he was clearly unhappy and disappointed with how things panned out and the way he was dealt with, I just can''t find it at the minute [:(]

Article here, with a brief interview in which he seems to have put it all behind him

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2011/1/14/the-curious-case-of-michael-theoklitos.html