Sign in to follow this  
e10_yellow

£30 for Spurs League Cup game

[quote user="nulli secundus"]I suppose if I look at it as a business I shouldn''t feel bitter. It''s like a luxury product being discounted for a couple of weeks and then returning to its proper price. I then might have to wait until I buy it again, thing is, I don''t need to buy it. It''s not a necessity.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="morty"]I know this is not going to be popular, and I''m seriously not trying to troll.This is life. Norwich City is a business, not a charity.Whilst I can understand the wailing, the fact is they have a product that you want, if you can''t afford it, well thats sad, but a fact of life I''m afraid.Its like whining about the price of going to the cinema, if you can''t afford it, you can''t go.[/quote]

To a degree I get what you are saying but its not the same. Most of us are not wailing because we can''t afford to go. I can afford to go but at that price i will choose to give it a miss. The reason I am upset/concerned about this is that our club has been built up in recent years on the back of a very steady and loyal support base. Although it did not necessaruilky manifest itself in success at the time much of the credit for this must go down to the likes of Andy Cullum whose ticketing initiatives got a whole generation of young fans into the "habit" of attending Carrow Road, week in, week out. Once fans are in that habit they keep going and it therefore ensures that the support base will stay strong for years to come.

Now I do understand that mcNally had to come in and do something about some of the discounted tikets that were on offer. Some peopl, particularly in the older generations were watching games for unbelievably good value prices when they could and should have been paying more. We were struggling financially and I therefore understand why we had to return ticket prices to something more approaching the norm.

My concern now though is we are straying too far the other way and the pricing policy is going to start deterring a generation of fans, particularly the 16-20 somethings who on turning 16 suddenly have to start paying full adult prices. The Cup games have also always been a chance for some fans who perhaps can;t afford (or aren''t able) to go every week in the league to go but at £30 for adults i''m sure many of these fans will be put off. I know the club is a business and ultimately businesses are about making profits but lets be honest football clubs are not normal businesses and there needs to be a balance. Sc*wing the fanbase out of every penny possible is not in the long term interests of the club because people will eventually vote with their feet.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="morty"]I know this is not going to be popular, and I''m seriously not trying to troll.This is life. Norwich City is a business, not a charity.Whilst I can understand the wailing, the fact is they have a product that you want, if you can''t afford it, well thats sad, but a fact of life I''m afraid.Its like whining about the price of going to the cinema, if you can''t afford it, you can''t go.[/quote]

To a degree I get what you are saying but its not the same. Most of us are not wailing because we can''t afford to go. I can afford to go but at that price i will choose to give it a miss. The reason I am upset/concerned about this is that our club has been built up in recent years on the back of a very steady and loyal support base. Although it did not necessaruilky manifest itself in success at the time much of the credit for this must go down to the likes of Andy Cullum whose ticketing initiatives got a whole generation of young fans into the "habit" of attending Carrow Road, week in, week out. Once fans are in that habit they keep going and it therefore ensures that the support base will stay strong for years to come.

Now I do understand that mcNally had to come in and do something about some of the discounted tikets that were on offer. Some peopl, particularly in the older generations were watching games for unbelievably good value prices when they could and should have been paying more. We were struggling financially and I therefore understand why we had to return ticket prices to something more approaching the norm.

My concern now though is we are straying too far the other way and the pricing policy is going to start deterring a generation of fans, particularly the 16-20 somethings who on turning 16 suddenly have to start paying full adult prices. The Cup games have also always been a chance for some fans who perhaps can;t afford (or aren''t able) to go every week in the league to go but at £30 for adults i''m sure many of these fans will be put off. I know the club is a business and ultimately businesses are about making profits but lets be honest football clubs are not normal businesses and there needs to be a balance. Sc*wing the fanbase out of every penny possible is not in the long term interests of the club because people will eventually vote with their feet.

[/quote]I agree with pretty much everything you have said there. Yes, we were practically giving seats away, and to some respect we have reaped the rewards.But we can''t have it all ways though, can we? If we want success then we have to be prepared to fund it.And under 16''s can get into this game for £15, which isn''t an unreasonable amount really, in the grand scheme of things.

Or Andy Cullen even!

Oh and Morty if Mcnally thinks he''s get that ground more than half full at those prices then i think he is the one doing his sums wrong. At £20 a ticket it would have been close to a sell out.

Tickets will be priced at £30 for adults, £20 for over-65s, £15 for under-16s and £5 for under-12s.

Now I get that £30 is a lot but £5 for under 12s is competitive. Not many under 12s are ST holders and this does what many fans had been clamouring for. Had we gone for Reading''s price structure there would have been an uproar because the tickets would have all gone before there was a chance of casual sales.

Question for you Jim..

Reading''s prices or ours and why?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Or Andy Cullen even!

Oh and Morty if Mcnally thinks he''s get that ground more than half full at those prices then i think he is the one doing his sums wrong. At £20 a ticket it would have been close to a sell out.

[/quote]I would suspect that he sees it differently.As I said above, lowering the price doesn''t guarantee anything, we have never had decent crowds at cup games.I suspect a lot of people will gnash and gripe about this,  and go anyway.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]I agree with pretty much everything you have said there. Yes, we were practically giving seats away, and to some respect we have reaped the rewards.But we can''t have it all ways though, can we? If we want success then we have to be prepared to fund it.And under 16''s can get into this game for £15, which isn''t an unreasonable amount really, in the grand scheme of things.

[/quote]

But the fact is that casual ticket sales really are not that big a factor in either our budget or whether or not we are successful now we are in the premiership so far as i can see. As someone else above has pointed out, if the game was going to sell out regardless then i can perhaps see the point in charging higher prices but i very strongly believe we would get a substantially higher crowd if the ticket prices were more reasonable which would mean the oevrall revenue earnt would be about the same, you''ve just p*ssed off less fans in the process.

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Ting tong the plastics nemesis"]30 quid to watch a game between 2 premier league clubs is an average price to be honest. Stop moaning about the price and get yourselves to the carra to support the team[/quote]

Personally I don''t consider the price for this game ''reasonable'' and I will be spending my hard earned cash at the competing attraction of the Norwich Beer Festival....end of! [B][B][B]

[/quote]

Now that is a much better idea. You are guaranteed a quality product and entertainment for your 30 quid at St Andrews Hall. Stick it where the sun don''t shine McNasty!

[/quote]Yep I,ll be off for £30 worth of beer instead, sounds better value for money and that night I wouldn''t care about the result so a win winThanks Mc Nally for making my mind up whether to go or not. Myself and 2 children are priced out as casual visitors on match day and now my 2 children won''t be following NCFC in the future, these prices cause problems yrs down the line.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

But the fact is that casual ticket sales really are not that big a factor in either our budget or whether or not we are successful now we are in the premiership so far as i can see. As someone else above has pointed out, if the game was going to sell out regardless then i can perhaps see the point in charging higher prices but i very strongly believe we would get a substantially higher crowd if the ticket prices were more reasonable which would mean the oevrall revenue earnt would be about the same, you''ve just p*ssed off less fans in the process.

[/quote]But thats the rub, neither of us actually has any idea how many folks will go. I suspect McNally is in a better position to make a more educated guess on this.Fans are always going to grumble, but they are fans, if they can afford it, they will pay to go.I am sure when similar has happened in the past there have been similar debates, then the actual crowd has turned out nowhere near what people on here predicted it would be.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Tickets will be priced at £30 for adults, £20 for over-65s, £15 for under-16s and £5 for under-12s.

Now I get that £30 is a lot but £5 for under 12s is competitive. Not many under 12s are ST holders and this does what many fans had been clamouring for. Had we gone for Reading''s price structure there would have been an uproar because the tickets would have all gone before there was a chance of casual sales.

Question for you Jim..

[/quote]

Readings. Look after your regular customers first and foremost. Yes some casual fans might moan but most would have been happy. The ground would have been full and it would be a good atmosphere. There still would have been tickets left for members and casuals as many season ticket holders are exiled and probably would give this one a miss anyway.

As it is they are clearly chasing the pounds of all the Norfolk based Spurs fans. We will have about 13,000 with half of them supporting the away team.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]But thats the rub, neither of us actually has any idea how many folks will go. I suspect McNally is in a better position to make a more educated guess on this.Fans are always going to grumble, but they are fans, if they can afford it, they will pay to go.I am sure when similar has happened in the past there have been similar debates, then the actual crowd has turned out nowhere near what people on here predicted it would be.

[/quote]

Well we will see but of my little group i go with of 7 or 8 of us, all season ticket holders, none of us are going to go so if thats representative of the wider fan base the crowd will be poor. I just think its a very short sighted approach.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well we will see but of my little group i go with of 7 or 8 of us, all season ticket holders, none of us are going to go so if thats representative of the wider fan base the crowd will be poor. I just think its a very short sighted approach.

[/quote]They virtually gave the tickets away in the last round, did you go to that?I did, and I can tell you, it wasn''t even close to selling out.

£20 for OAP Ricky then. Not too bad really I will just have to economise with fewer Peroni''s this week.You win some, you lose some, such is life.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]They virtually gave the tickets away in the last round, did you go to that?I did, and I can tell you, it wasn''t even close to selling out.

[/quote]

Didn''t go to the Doncaster game no. Went to the Scunthorpe game. Since I live in London and come up for all/most league games I have to pick and choose the cup games. I would have gone to the Spurs game if the tickets were more reasonable and i think had they been iot would have been very close to a sell out.

Anyway we will have to agree to disagree and see what sort of crowd we get.

News just in.A previously undiscovered tribe in Africa stumbled out of the jungle, seeing the 21st century for the first time ever.Their first words to the discovering scientists were "I just bet Wiz boycotts this cup game, by way of protest"

[quote user="morty"]I know this is not going to be popular, and I''m seriously not trying to troll.

This is life. Norwich City is a business, not a charity.

Whilst I can understand the wailing, the fact is they have a product that you want, if you can''t afford it, well thats sad, but a fact of life I''m afraid.

Its like whining about the price of going to the cinema, if you can''t afford it, you can''t go.
[/quote]

Agreed, but businesses need to set prices realistically to optimise profits. Norwich are failing to do this with this game IMO as they will not fill the stadium.

I wasn''t playing "I''m a bigger fan than you" by the way Jim.The thing is, we will never know if the crowd would have been bigger or not, it would be pure speculation.But McNally wouldn''t be the businessman he is, by getting stuff like this wrong, in my opinion.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Question for you Jim..

[/quote]

Readings. Look after your regular customers first and foremost. Yes some casual fans might moan but most would have been happy. The ground would have been full and it would be a good atmosphere. There still would have been tickets left for members and casuals as many season ticket holders are exiled and probably would give this one a miss anyway.

As it is they are clearly chasing the pounds of all the Norfolk based Spurs fans. We will have about 13,000 with half of them supporting the away team.

[/quote]

I doubt Reading have the same percentage of ST holders as us so the casuals will get more of a look in there. I think what would have been fair would have been Reading''s structure but replace ST holders with those fans holding ticket stubs from the earlier rounds. That would have left more seats for casuals and rewarded the regulars at the same time.

[quote user="paul moy"]

Agreed, but businesses need to set prices realistically to optimise profits. Norwich are failing to do this with this game IMO as they will not fill the stadium.

[/quote]But the crux here is that it is only your opinion, with all due respect, you''re not the chairman of a Premiership football club.

[quote user="morty"]I wasn''t playing "I''m a bigger fan than you" by the way Jim.The thing is, we will never know if the crowd would have been bigger or not, it would be pure speculation.But McNally wouldn''t be the businessman he is, by getting stuff like this wrong, in my opinion.

[/quote]

No worries I didn;t think you were. I agree he has got a lot right but even the best businessmen get things wrong/need a reality check from time to time. The difficulty with the wya football clusb are now also big businesses is that there is perhaps a conflict between what is in the "clubs" best interest and the duties of a CEO or a director to maximise profits for shareholders. McNally of course presumably also wants his CV to look impressive and show how he delivered fantastic financial success for Norwich City. My concern is more about long term impacts of charging consistenty high prices than a half empty ground against Spurs. The really crunch point will of course be season ticket renewal times and whether those prices remain reasonable.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="morty"]I know this is not going to be popular, and I''m seriously not trying to troll.

This is life. Norwich City is a business, not a charity.

Whilst I can understand the wailing, the fact is they have a product that you want, if you can''t afford it, well thats sad, but a fact of life I''m afraid.

Its like whining about the price of going to the cinema, if you can''t afford it, you can''t go.
[/quote]

[/quote]

But the crux here is that it is only your opinion, with all due respect, you''re not the chairman of a Premiership football club.
[/quote]

Well, the last sentence was opinion, but the first is fact. Let''s see what the attendance is on the day to see who is correct on the second part. Of course I may be wrong and City fill the stadium. Pigs may fly as well.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]I for one refuse to pay a 200 per cent increase to attend this game!!! Have they got no sense at all, maybe somebody should ask McNasty and the mob at tonites love in how they can justify this price?
[/quote]

Baldy Boy - ever thought why this was announced this morning?  The morning of the Fans Forum!  People will now probably focus on these prices now, rather than a long post mortem into recent football results.  Expect some movement on these prices in due course.

Nice one McNally!!

[/quote]

Agree with this.

To use a footballing analogy - keep your eye on the ball and not be distracted by goings-on elsewhere. This ticket pricing is a very good distraction

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]But the crux here is that it is only your opinion, with all due respect, you''re not the chairman of a Premiership football club.[/quote]

Well, the last sentence was opinion, but the first is fact. Let''s see what the attendance is on the day to see who is correct on the second part. Of course I may be wrong and City fill the stadium. Pigs may fly as well.

[/quote]In my opinion, you could make it a quid to get in, and you still wouldn''t fill it.Midweek cup games have never been well attended.I shall stick my neck out here at 19,000. If they have a change of heart and reduce the prices, 21,459.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]
Spot on. Even if they do make more money by charging £30 per ticket, it will be negligible in so much as they''d have a crowd double the size at least if they were charging £15-20 so they may lose out on 10 or 20k MAXIMUM. 
All Mcnally has done by setting these absurd prices is pissed off a lot of the fan base when tbh he and Hughton need as much goodwill as they can get considering the shit we''ve been served up on the pitch.
Business is about relationships after all, and he is certainly souring the very close relationship we used to have with our club. If you p*ss off all your customers, you''ll soon see a drop in business (as we already seem to be seeing with tickets this season)
Don''t get me wrong, I don''t hate the bloke, I think he''s done a great job up to a point but I think recently, he is increasingly pushing his luck as far as we''re concerned and is coming down too far on the wrong side of the fence, too often imo. 

[quote user="morty"]In my opinion, you could make it a quid to get in, and you still wouldn''t fill it.Midweek cup games have never been well attended.I shall stick my neck out here at 19,000. If they have a change of heart and reduce the prices, 21,459.[/quote]
I think that''s incredibly optimistic estimates for attendance.
If they keep the price at £30 then they will be lucky to get 13k imo. If they only reduce it a bit then maybe 18k at best.