Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Having just watched the highlights from Saturday

I know it was a dismal, embarrassing defeat etc but we did score two and miss three or four absolute sitters so perhaps it wasnlt quite as bad as all of us have convinced ourselves. The timing of both our misses and their goals were real killers. The first goal was a body blow right from the off. We then missed a couple of very good chances before again being hit with a sucker punch just before half time. Start of the second half and Hoot would have had them fired up for a good start and what happens, the ball hits snod and somehow goes over from about 6 inches out and they then race straight up the other end and its game over.

There is no excuse for the shambolic defending we saw but we really, really are not having any luck at either end of the pitch. I bet that liverpool have probably had as many shots and chances in all their other games this season but, for the second season in a row, the day against us seems to have been the day they all flew in. The margins at this level really are very fine. Surely in one game soon we are due a bit of good luck and an undeserved victory!

Good post with which I agree JS. Things are just not running for us at the moment. We are overdue a change of fortune.

A big concern for me though is how quickly heads went down on Saturday. Hoots was urging them to lift themselves from as early as the 5th minute. You may not want to concede an early goal but it will happen from time to time and you have to deal with it. A bit more steely determination in the face of adversity is required. This is after all pretty much the same group of players who have been lauded over the past couple of seasons as never knowing when they are beat. Replays of yesterday''s Ryder Cup session should be compulsory viewing for the group, the body language was not one of acceptance of defeat even though the position seemed hopeless. With the right attitude amazing things can happen!

OTBC

Teams that don''t get the luck, get relegated. You hear all the time from managers of teams at the bottom of the league bemoaning the lack of luck and little things going their way.

Fair point jim smith. I think the whole match might have been different if we didn''t concede such a stupidly early goal. Many of our performances have been good, without the desired result. We will get 3 points soon but the team need our optimism and support to spur them on...

Fair point Jim but Sussexyellow observed heads going down quickly. This for me is the most worrying thing. It really looks as if the player either don''t like the system or, worse, don''t believe in it.

I''m not sure CH has the dressing room and it wouldn''t surprise me if Calderwood lost it weeks ago!!!

Hi Jim, your input was good, much better in fact than our teams performance Saturday. we were unlucky as you say,  lack of drive in the defence in my opinion was the cause also we gave away too much space. Liverpool needed our defence to be in their faces from the start. We were at home and should have meant business from the start. Some on the forum say that there may be unrest in the dressing room, and the players are not liking the method of play that is introduced. If this is so then there needs  to be some straight talking from the management to the team before the match and on the training ground, thats where these errors should be worked on. Best wishes Beelsie

Good post. I thought we looked really fired up at the start of the second half and had Surman''s shot gone in rather than over off of Snodgrass'' arse then it could''ve been a different story.

Don''t know what games you have been watching, we deserve to be in the relegation zone, not created enough clear cut chances. we haven''t looked like winning any game apart from the west ham game then maybe against tottenham but tbh we were lucky against tottenham.

[quote user="Phyxius"]Teams that don''t get the luck, get relegated. You hear all the time from managers of teams at the bottom of the league bemoaning the lack of luck and little things going their way.[/quote]

Ridiculous statement. Teams don''t get relegated because they''re unlucky. They get relegated because they''re not good enough. Managers will moan about anything and everything because they want to stay in their jobs.

[quote user="N city til I die"]Don''t know what games you have been watching, we deserve to be in the relegation zone, not created enough clear cut chances. we haven''t looked like winning any game apart from the west ham game then maybe against tottenham but tbh we were lucky against tottenham.[/quote]

Lucky against Spurs? Whatever. We were UNLUCKY against Spurs to face an inspired Friedel. We bossed them all over in their own place.

Don''t look like winning any game? You must be watching Ip5wich

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Fair point Jim but Sussexyellow observed heads going down quickly. This for me is the most worrying thing. It really looks as if the player either don''t like the system or, worse, don''t believe in it.

I''m not sure CH has the dressing room and it wouldn''t surprise me if Calderwood lost it weeks ago!!![/quote]I must add few pts to this "head down so easy and quick"I watch the game on tv and fayr play to fans that stay for whole 90 min and not gone aft 0-4 or so but...We as fans also have no passion no believe in this hard games!Carrow Rd was so silent all the time!I remember was again Tv game wthink Monday night when Dellia come at ht and ask us some poor questions but even we was 2 up against Man CIty all fans not belive on this team and this not help players at all/We cry so easy and so early this season and mood is bad especially in this gameWe have rights to face best teams in this country and still everything is so early to be decided as no one relagated in 7-8 rounds etcIf there is no believe from stands against this big teams on this hard games what is the chanse players to stay with head up until very end?We must be with the team and must support this players every game and whatever happen will happen/Still some positives we have from this gameHOlt first goal I believe will grow his confidence also Turner finally will take iron shirt for next games and also lets hope after next so hard games chels and arsenal we have full squad to choose and lets season begin for us !

[quote user="Boris"][quote user="Bury Yellow"]Fair point Jim but Sussexyellow observed heads going down quickly. This for me is the most worrying thing. It really looks as if the player either don''t like the system or, worse, don''t believe in it.

I''m not sure CH has the dressing room and it wouldn''t surprise me if Calderwood lost it weeks ago!!![/quote]I must add few pts to this "head down so easy and quick"   I watch the game on tv and fayr play to fans that stay for whole 90 min and not gone aft 0-4 or so but...    We as fans also have no passion no believe in this hard games!   Carrow Rd was so silent all the time!I remember was again Tv game wthink Monday night when Dellia come at ht and ask us some poor questions but even we was 2 up against Man CIty all fans not belive on this team and this not help players at allWe cry so easy and so early this season and mood is bad especially in this gameWe have rights to face best teams in this country and still everything is so early to be decided as no one relagated in 7-8 rounds etcIf there is no believe from stands against this big teams on this hard games what is the chanse players to stay with head up until very end?We must be with the team and must support this players every game and whatever happen will happen/Still some positives we have from this gameHOlt first goal I believe will grow his confidence also Turner finally will take iron shirt for next games and also lets hope after next so hard games chels and arsenal we have full squad to choose and lets season begin for us ![/quote]

Good points there, Boris.    Unfortunately, there are fans that don''t believe their attitude at matches can make a difference.   I have always said that if fans were simply more supportive - without losing the plot at slight setbacks - Carra Rd would be a noisier ground more often.   Too many spectators go to "watch" the match.   I think fans aught to get more involved - like we used to when standing on terraces.  The seats have not helped this issue - fans turn up 2 minutes before kick off because they know they have a seat.  In years gone by you had to get in early to get a good spot on the terraces.

However,   you are right.  I have a relative who is a lifetime supporter of Man City - their home game atmosphere was  terrible for years - it affected the players.   If we could somehow just get everyone to be positive - it would help both players and the atmosphere at games.   Perhaps we will need another talking to from Delia if things don''t improve over the next few weeks!!

[quote user="York Canary"]

[quote user="N city til I die"]Don''t know what games you have been watching, we deserve to be in the relegation zone, not created enough clear cut chances. we haven''t looked like winning any game apart from the west ham game then maybe against tottenham but tbh we were lucky against tottenham.[/quote]

Lucky against Spurs? Whatever. We were UNLUCKY against Spurs to face an inspired Friedel. We bossed them all over in their own place.

Don''t look like winning any game? You must be watching Ip5wich

[/quote]

Nah sorry I don''t know why I put that! Lol we should of beat Spurs, they were v. lucky, Grant Holt is right though, I could also count the amount of chances on my hand as well, absolute shocking, we need to create more chances, we deserve to be where we are though.

You are right LDC. Crowd imput is vital to the team''s performance.

I remember, years ago when Arsenal (at Highbury) were re-building one end of their ground into the new season.

They actually constucted an enormous mural of people replicating a full stand. It was quite bizarre.

The problem was that the football (under George Graham) was so boring that, on may occasions, even the mural left early.

It could have been worse! We could have had a penalty awarded against us, and Suarez missed a fairly easy chance by his standards.

Generally, however, I accept the luck point - even Gerard''s brilliant goal needed a massive deflection, that is "in" rather than "over".