Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Hang on - do I detect a growing sense of resignation?

The mood on here tonight is very different. The normally righteously indignant are not ranting in their normal fashion. The optimists are losing their faith. There seems to be a growing sense of sad resignation.

Come on folks, Chelsea would have beaten many (most) sides by at least 4 1 on current form. We were not great today but we were not terrible either.

All is not lost. Our talisman is awakening. I fancy us to sneak a draw next week.

I''m not that disappointed about the result today- after all, Chelsea are the European Champions. But I am a realist, and don''t expect us to get anything against Arsenal (I do think we''ll score one or two though). After that, I can see us getting nine points from the next three (Villa, Stoke and Reading).

It''s weird dpit.I expected a loss today,but i still feel really deflated about the final score.Resignation?Slowly.

" I fancy us to sneak a draw next week"

You do ?

You''ll be about the only one who does

[quote user="dpit"] I fancy us to sneak a draw next week.[/quote]

really? i actually agree, it will be our best chance

mainly because we wont be getting a hiding from arsenal for another 2 weeks :P

[quote user="City1st"]

" I fancy us to sneak a draw next week"

You do ?

You''ll be about the only one who does

[/quote]we''ll have no problems next week cos we aren''t playing for a fortnight.

Yup the sleeping giant has woken up, but Hughton needs to wake up first.He needs to really look at that starting XI vs Arsenal and think about whats going on.

I must admit I am starting to feel this way sadly. Its not the result that I take issue with at. I think even if we had played well it is likely Chelsea would have probably still edged us out. That is what the thick end of around £200-300 million gets you.

What concerns is the performances and general organisation of the team. We set out with the aim of being more solid this season yet we have conceded more goals than ever. 17 goals in 7 games already.

I see players in positions they are not comfortable with. I didn''t understand Bradley Johnson playing as an orthodox left midfielder today. A position he has never played for Norwich. Other players such as Howson, Surman and Hoolahan have also looked uncomfortable at times by what they have been asked to do this season.

There are positives such a desperately needed return to form by Grant Holt. But we have played just under 20% of the season now. These aren''t just one off incidents. These are recurring themes which look like they blight our season.

The main worry for me is the sense of resignation on the pitch

From the start of the second half it felt like a lot of our players didn''t believe we could get anything. Last year we were always going for it even when we were behind. Ok there were exceptions ef Sunderland Blackburn but they were exceptions.

So I''m not resigned yet - but if we keep on with this sort of attitude we have to be realistic we''re in trouble

" The main worry for me is the sense of resignation on the pitch

From the start of the second half it felt like a lot of our players didn''t believe we could get anything "

Agree with that, but I think it would have been different if we hadn''t conceded the third goal. What happens next is critical - do the team belive they took a big step forward in terms of their play (i.e Holt and Tettey) or do they go into a funck - this is the managers responsibility, he sets the tone.

Spot on. We are lacking confidence. We need a spark to ignite our self belief again - we have the personnel to finish mid table. Our season hangs on how quickly we can get over this crisis of confidence that has us in its clutches.

If Hughton thinks he has quality coaches fit for the premiership then we really are in the mire.

Anyone interested should take a gander at the cv of Messrs Calderwood and Trollope. How on earth have they ended up at a premier club??

Yes - there''s a completely different feel to the defeat this season. We travel to Stamford Bridge and expect to lose. The result not significantly different to last season. The manner completely. The team seem to lack organisation and as soon as the equaliser went in belief seemed to evaporate. Yes Chelsea are a top side. But we have deep problems to resolve before Stoke. Arsenal you can discount.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]If Hughton thinks he has quality coaches fit for the premiership then we really are in the mire. Anyone interested should take a gander at the cv of Messrs Calderwood and Trollope. How on earth have they ended up at a premier club??[/quote]

That was always my worry too Bury, they just aren''t up to it.

And whilst I''ve said that I''m not going to judge Hughton too harshly until we have a run of games against lower sides after Arsenal, I do think the body language of the players on the pitch is an issue, and one that lies largely with the manager.

We could have had a run like this under Lambert results wise and I''m still sure the players would have been brimming with confidence, or determination to go out and make up for it. Under Hughton we look so far away from that, it''s hard to stomach. I suppose if we''re going to look at the board''s role in Hughton''s appointment, you might ask why they''ve gone for someone so different to Lambert in terms of personality; Lambert created a side that fitted in with his personality. Lambert probably annoyed lots of people, but he got in players who loved him. So why not try and get someone with a similar personality/approach towards the players? You always hear that Hughton is a top bloke and has the respect of people everywhere, but his man management style seems to be extremely different to Lambert''s and doesn''t, dare I say it, seem to be compatible with this crop of players.