Sign in to follow this  
henrik

the most telling point of the current regime for me...

was West Ham at home, Mr Hughton''s dithering over and then losing the nerve to introduce a substitute in this case Wes) to try to actually win the game.His fear of losing the one point outweighed his hunger and desire to gain all three. For me, this sums up the current mentality and painted a picture of what we should expect.The biggest lesson that the world of football has learned from the exploits of the likes of us last season, and Swansea and Blackpool the year before is that to hold fear in this league is basically signing on for relegation.Mr Hughton, it is quite simple you need to stop fearing the opposition. In doing so, attacking football with a confident squad will naturally follow.

[quote user="henrik"]His fear of losing the one point outweighed his hunger and desire to gain all three. For me, this sums up the current mentality and painted a picture of what we should expect.[/quote]

bang on

Fear has cost us a lot of points so far but I''m still hoping he can be persuaded to change his philosophy once things get really desperate, which they will. There will come a point where draws are useless !!!!

Both Arsenal and Villa will absolutely whip us. So Stoke and Reading increasingly vital games. A defensive mindset and couple of score draws will see us propping up the league.

The most telling point of the first few games under Hughton is that it is still too early to judge.   He wants to play football, not kick and rush.  He doesn''t want to be chasing the game all the time.     His philosophy hasn''t taken root yet.   To play like he wants us to play we have to show composure.  Bassong epitomises this.  He doesn''t panic.   Barnett  has shown signs of improvement this season too.  The midfield is the area we look as if we should be strong - but its not gelled yet.   Once we get a bit of confidence going, I think we will see a more positive side to his philosophy.   We simply haven''t got the confidence going yet.   

Patience is what we need - and trust.  

While I agree in principle LDC, the question has to be how long do we give him. Arsenal result shouldn''t change things but then we''re back to winnable games but with a squad devoid of confidence. That''s going to be a huge challenge and may well decide the situation.

[quote user="lake district canary"]The most telling point of the first few games under Hughton is that it is still too early to judge.   He wants to play football, not kick and rush.  He doesn''t want to be chasing the game all the time.     His philosophy hasn''t taken root yet.   To play like he wants us to play we have to show composure.  Bassong epitomises this.  He doesn''t panic.   Barnett  has shown signs of improvement this season too.  The midfield is the area we look as if we should be strong - but its not gelled yet.   Once we get a bit of confidence going, I think we will see a more positive side to his philosophy.   We simply haven''t got the confidence going yet.   

[/quote]

I''m trying your patience theory LDC, I really am, but what happens if squeaky bum time gets here first?

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]The most telling point of the first few games under Hughton is that it is still too early to judge.   He wants to play football, not kick and rush.  He doesn''t want to be chasing the game all the time.     His philosophy hasn''t taken root yet.   To play like he wants us to play we have to show composure.  Bassong epitomises this.  He doesn''t panic.   Barnett  has shown signs of improvement this season too.  The midfield is the area we look as if we should be strong - but its not gelled yet.   Once we get a bit of confidence going, I think we will see a more positive side to his philosophy.   We simply haven''t got the confidence going yet.   

[/quote]

I''m trying your patience theory LDC, I really am, but what happens if squeaky bum time gets here first?

[/quote]

I may be clutching at straws, but I refuse to believe that we are going to be worse this season than last.   The start has been difficult - Hughton has to start getting results at some point.   I still believe we have the players to do well and that the team will gradually gain in confidence after the run we''ve had.   

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]No you''re not.  You''ve already adopted the "Hughton Out!" mentality as proven by your signature and avatar over the past 2 weeks.  Or was that a lack of patience on your part?

For me the coaches are the heart and soul of a management team. They work with the players far more on a day to day basis than the manager, they also should know each players personality, getting the best out of the squad by knowing what motivates each individual and thus getting them to gel as a team.  

I don''t have that feeling with our present set up. I don''t want to harp on about previous management teams however when things weren''t going well the coach always seemed to have a solution or a plan B  ready. There was a moment against Liverpool  where Hughton and Calderwood just stood there in a huddle, didnt speak, and just stared at the pitch wondering why plan A wasn''t working.

I find that disconcerting.     

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No you''re not.  You''ve already adopted the "Hughton Out!" mentality as proven by your signature and avatar over the past 2 weeks.  Or was that a lack of patience on your part?

[/quote]

Its simple and thanks for the chance to explain:

IN WIZ I TRUST..........................simply says, I won''t leave for a bigger club, I don''t want higher wages or I don''t want a transfer.

Sir Digby makes a good point and probably a clue to the difference between PL & CH -

PL had Culverhouse - CH has watshisface who thinks Holt is a winger.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Both Arsenal and Villa will absolutely whip us. So Stoke and Reading increasingly vital games. A defensive mindset and couple of score draws will see us propping up the league.[/quote]We''ll beat Vile.