Sign in to follow this  
Bobert

I am beginig to loose interest

I suppose I have followed the team for over forty years now. Done all those things a fan should do. Stood in the Barclay when the police used to make sallies into the crowd to haul out "trouble makers". Paid the gateman to get in thee ground without a ticket. Watched the game from one of those fancy boxes. Had the shits from eating pies long ago. Been to the AGMs and said my bit. Had private chats with Delia and received letters from Robert Chase. Bought shares and season tickets when the Club needed money. Been to away games even Tranmere Rovers v Norwich City.Had my photograph taken with Darren Huckerby in the Gunn Club. Had a tour of the Ground. Cheered the Open Top Bus tours of the city, and I am begining to loose interest.

I don''t enjoy watching my team being beaten particularly by wide margins. I don''t like seeing the "boys" be hopelessly out classed. I don''t like seeing Managers and back room staff being paid huge sums for doing no better than I, or any regular supporter for that matter, could do with regards to team selection, game plan and even training.I don''t like reading that it will come good if every one is given time. If people cannot do the job they are employed to do they should do the decent thing and resign. Get off the bus, I think I might just do that too. Get off the bus and go for a walk in the park instead of watch my team get defeated .........again!

Me too. Had a Chelsea ticket but did not go. Could not face the longish car journey, the tube, but more importantly the feeling that it would all be in vain.

"Bye, moron"

The op deserves more respect surely, this is a long time supporter feeling the pain at the moment. Says a lot about you if that is your first response to a reflective,open and honest post.

Championship over the Premiership every day of the week for me. Still, I don''t want us to get relegated. I just find it depressing that the best we can  ever really do is compete for survival every year.

I can understand people''s frustrations. I think it is wrong to simply say "bye, moron" when someone expresses an opinion. People work hard for their money and you should spend the disposable part of that income on things you enjoy. I can see why people aren''t getting that with performances in recent weeks.

I could have gone yesterday but I am having to ration my away games because finances are tight at the moment. I just didn''t feel I could justify forking out the thick end of £100 for an away day when I wasn''t sure I was going to get a performance I felt warranted that expenditure (note I didn''t say result). I applaud those who travelled in great numbers again (sensational stuff).

But I haven''t given up on the team. It is an absolute pleasure to follow what I believe is a wonderful club. Instead I choose the trip to Aston Villa because I felt that was a more important game for us where we really did need a massive away backing.

The team has given me and I sure many others immense enjoyment over he last 3 years. So where and when you can if possible stick by them particularly for players like Ruddy, Holty, Russ, Wes etc who have all played such a major part throughout the whole journey.

"Bye, Moron".There are too many instant responses like that on here. Its these kind of replies that ruin message boards. Why can''t we just talk about the posts rather than issue smart a**e retorts.Anyway, for what its worth OP, I kind of get you, but I don''t think you''re losing interest, you''re just hurting bad and by turning your back a little, i.e. by going for a walk or by going shopping you''re just engaging in some "damage limitation" for yourself for a wee while. I am not at all confident the current management regime can pull this around, but at some point things will change for the better so we just have to hang in there i guess.

Normally when we''re away from home my Saturdays consist of going out for a coffe and cake with the wife in the morning and spending the afternoon in front of the tv watching ssn. This week I did things the other way round because I couldn''t face sitting there knowing that it will only be a matter of time before we concede. Hurts like hell that we keep losing heavily but I''m sure we will have a spell at some point where we win a few games as we did in 2005 but I''m hoping that this time it happens soon enough to save us.

Robert is entitled to both his opinion and freedom to express it-and I can see where he is coming from.

I wouldn''t say I''m losing interest in Norwich City-too far gone for that-but I am losing interest in the game as a whole. I think, for me, its the fact that its everywhere at the moment-not just the back page of all the newspapers but the inside 5 or 6 on most days as well as the front pages on many an occasion-TV main news, the obsession on the rolling SPORTS news coverage, the fact there are either live games on or shows promoting the live games (I know-quit Sky, I am thinking about it when BT Vision rolls around!), its football-footballfootball....

Yet I can''t complain too much-I make much of my living from the game and I contribute regularly to this and the WOTB so come on Shuck, pot and kettle...?

A lot of people are very cynical about the game at the moment. I wonder if our present situation reflects that in which they see and regard the game. I love that we''re in the most high profile and wealthist league in the world (the best-open to debate) but I don''t like the fact we''re only in it for the income. At least thats how it feels at the moment, the talk invariably is about staying in the league for the income and what it brings-not least the opportunity to build a new stand-as well as the fact it has paid off a lot of debt. I guess its a mean to an end-as the regular high income of Prem membership increases over the years, we can afford higher transfer fees and wages-but the higher we go the bigger the risk if we get relegated in terms of paying those wages. You look at the Championship and think, every season, we''ve a good chance, a higher than average one of being there or thereabouts at the top come May...the problem with the Prem is that, every season, we''ve a good chance, a higher than average one of being relegated come May...

Despite all that, I''ll be gutted if we go down this season. But I''ll have high hopes of an instant return to the land of footballing milk and honey-only for the same old talk about finishing 17th to kick in again-in the Championship its mostly about the football with good away trips, matches, performances and banter thrown in-a great mix. The Prem-well, mostly about the money with corporate trips out, a few no-contests and little or no banter other than squabbling amongst ourselves...not so good. I''d prefer the latter and my head says the Premier League despite all that-but my heart says the Championship...yet I still want us to survive this season.Its a never ending internal footballing conflict and that, for me, takes some of the joy out of it...

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Championship over the Premiership every day of the week for me. Still, I don''t want us to get relegated. I just find it depressing that the best we can  ever really do is compete for survival every year.
[/quote]

Thats how i feel one half of me loves the championship, the number of games, the more even gap between all the sides, not knowing who will win it each year, the season going right to the end with the playoff keeping the tension right up to the wire for most teams and the atmosphere of evening games.

The other half of me loves the premier league, being able to bring in better players, watching us compete against the very best, the pride when we get a premier league win always feels like an achievement in itself and hopefully the longer we stay here there''s an outside chance of a cup win or european football at Carrow road again. Trouble is this is always tempered with the fact that as you say the best we can hope for is a midtable finish, it''s sometimes hard to take that not being as crap as at least 3 other teams in a league is actually success.

I  desperately want us to survive but if we do go down it''s not the end of the world.

I amazed just how much some of you don''t have the stomach for a fight.Its not like this is the first time our team has struggled, and if you love it when we''re winning, but lose interest when we''re not, then I suspect this says something about you, not Norwich City.

Have got the stomach for a fight Morty mate, but would prefer a fair one!

If its us in amongst a gang of Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City we are, more than likely, going to end up in the ITC 99 times out of 100!

We might end up sat down in the gutter with a bleeding nose when we''re up against an Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland or Tottenham, but at least we might give them a good slap in the process and one or two might hit the target-WHL last season!

Now, stick us in with Middlesbrough, Derby, Bolton, Leeds, Ipswich and Palace...indeed, most of that lot beneath us, and I''d have no reason not to think we could win every time, there place or ours.

In anycase, lifes a fight as it is without it having to stretch to the football-thats meant to be fun, win or lose!

But yep, despite all that, I see what you''re saying. Maybe we''re all getting a bit spoilt?

[quote user="Bobert"]

I suppose I have followed the team for over forty years now. Done all those things a fan should do. Stood in the Barclay when the police used to make sallies into the crowd to haul out "trouble makers". Paid the gateman to get in thee ground without a ticket. Watched the game from one of those fancy boxes. Had the shits from eating pies long ago. Been to the AGMs and said my bit. Had private chats with Delia and received letters from Robert Chase. Bought shares and season tickets when the Club needed money. Been to away games even Tranmere Rovers v Norwich City.Had my photograph taken with Darren Huckerby in the Gunn Club. Had a tour of the Ground. Cheered the Open Top Bus tours of the city, and I am begining to loose interest.

I don''t enjoy watching my team being beaten particularly by wide margins. I don''t like seeing the "boys" be hopelessly out classed. I don''t like seeing Managers and back room staff being paid huge sums for doing no better than I, or any regular supporter for that matter, could do with regards to team selection, game plan and even training.I don''t like reading that it will come good if every one is given time. If people cannot do the job they are employed to do they should do the decent thing and resign. Get off the bus, I think I might just do that too. Get off the bus and go for a walk in the park instead of watch my team get defeated .........again!

[/quote]Stick with it Bob, the first fifty years are the worst.[;)]

Considering these so called long term fans are losing interest. My dad'' been going for 40 odd years. And said he''s not known 3 seasons like it for success. And how lucky I am too see it.

People get real we are not a established premiership team yet so it is going to be a struggle each year.

We have not got millions to spend like the likes of Chelsea etc. so need to do what we can with small resources.

I would rather that than have a club like rangers or Pompey , what would we do with our Saturdays then ?!

The easiest thing to do Is not come on here and moan , just like you say go for a walk and stop following the team you apparently love ,

I know I won''t stop whatever league we are in !

Its not really about ''the fight''. I go to be entertained, thrilled even.  If I buy a theatre ticket I expect to be entertained. Sport is an entertainment business and its not delivering for me at the moment. Oddly enough the most entertaining season for me recently was when we were in  League One.

He''s right. Lots of weak people on here.

Man up or go home. If you can''t take defeat you shouldnt be allowed to "go shopping" then jump on board when we win.

Like I said, I''m not losing interest in our club-can''t and won''t. Ever.

Its the game itself that sets me off at the moment.

And its not as if we could "lose interest" because of a sudden perceived lack of success-we pootled along in the top division, Division One as it was-from 1975-1981 for a start with not a lot happening that you would call success-but they were great times to be a Norwich fan. As are these.

The game gives me reason to lose interest in the bigger picture-but never our club.

[quote user="Steady On..."]He''s right. Lots of weak people on here.

Man up or go home. If you can''t take defeat you shouldnt be allowed to "go shopping" then jump on board when we win.[/quote]

Couldn''t agreed more. If you want nearly guaranteed success every year go support man united. As you won''t and probably never will with Norwich !!

Unlike many posters on here I''m only in my 40th year of watching City. I''m not losing interest either. However, the pre-Sky days when teams like us could compete - near enough - with the top teams have gone. In many ways that makes the PL much less of a spectacle than used to be. I can understand the attractiveness of Championship football - matches are even and they come round frequently - replay that league with the same teams and you''ll probably get a radically different outcome. So would relegation be a disaster from a supporters''s perspective probably not but from a business perspective it undoubtedly is.

So I''m not losing interest. I believe the quality our our squad compared to those around us is being exposed. This reflects inter aliia our rise from league one, the rapid change in the squad and the loss of Lambert. I blame no one. I would question the efficacy of McNally''s concept of ''mutual'' ownership if the key strategic objective is survival in the PL. In the medium term I''m of the view that a benefactor is needed to survive in the PL. But from a footballing viewer''s perspective watching competitive matches is more fun than being thumped every week.

At last a sensible post. Who realize that we can''t compete with bigger clubs. So we are trying to compete as we''ll as we can.

And for the people who don''t like us losing. Perhaps the championship is for us. Where we would be winning a few more.

For now I''m happy playing premiership teams each week and seeing the players give there all.

While the club is being run successful ( no more money worries )

[quote user="morty"]I amazed just how much some of you don''t have the stomach for a fight.Its not like this is the first time our team has struggled, and if you love it when we''re winning, but lose interest when we''re not, then I suspect this says something about you, not Norwich City.[/quote]I can understand why fans have started to feel this way.  It''s caused imo, by the EPL and what it actually is.  As is stands now, though it may change in the future.  The Championship offers a bit more of a level playing field

Me thinks I have the same problem, and I have even started to not care about football too.........think I will join you in the park mate, it''ll be cheaper for sure, and we could still have a pint somewhere!

[quote user="snakepit ric"]At last a sensible post. Who realize that we can''t compete with bigger clubs. So we are trying to compete as we''ll as we can. And for the people who don''t like us losing. Perhaps the championship is for us. Where we would be winning a few more. For now I''m happy playing premiership teams each week and seeing the players give there all. While the club is being run successful ( no more money worries )[/quote]

I dont see players giving thier all this season.

Not sure that club is being run succesfully, Mcnally may have made a few mistakes since the end of last season over Lambet, Holt and £30 for league cup tie.

I am also losing interest after 44 years,mainly because it isnt  level playing field.

[quote user="snakepit ric"]At last a sensible post. Who realize that we can''t compete with bigger clubs. So we are trying to compete as we''ll as we can. And for the people who don''t like us losing. Perhaps the championship is for us. Where we would be winning a few more. For now I''m happy playing premiership teams each week and seeing the players give there all. While the club is being run successful ( no more money worries )[/quote]

I dont see players giving thier all this season.

Not sure that club is being run succesfully, Mcnally may have made a few mistakes since the end of last season over Lambet, Holt and £30 for league cup tie.

I am also losing interest after 44 years,mainly because it isnt  level playing field.

Ricardo wrote:

Stick with it Bob, the first fifty years are the worst.

Well spoken, what many do not realise is that people like Bob and myself have been watching city well over fifty years, we have supported through thick and thin, rain or shine, through highs and lows,helped bail the club out in leaner times, and been through such scenarios as we are suffering now on too many occasions to remember - and the struggles outweigh the good times over our years, and it does get to you when you see your club begin the rocky road to decline once more - there are more important things in life to worry about for some of us these days perhaps like police officers being murdered and children being abducted and killed - one''s perspective changes as one gets older, but our love for NCFC will always be there, whether we are or not!

[quote user="City 2nd"]Ricardo wrote: Stick with it Bob, the first fifty years are the worst. Well spoken, what many do not realise is that people like Bob and myself have been watching city well over fifty years, we have supported through thick and thin, rain or shine, through highs and lows,helped bail the club out in leaner times, and been through such scenarios as we are suffering now on too many occasions to remember - and the struggles outweigh the good times over our years, and it does get to you when you see your club begin the rocky road to decline once more - there are more important things in life to worry about for some of us these days perhaps like police officers being murdered and children being abducted and killed - one''s perspective changes as one gets older, but our love for NCFC will always be there, whether we are or not![/quote]

Yep, plus fifty for me too City 2nd, you''ve just said how I feel atm, cheers. [Y]

Another one who has been following Norwich for over fifty years and another one who is becoming disillusioned with the game mainly because of money.

Players at the top are obscenely paid. A working man has to work between five and ten years for a footballers weekly wage and has to pay a very large part of his disposable income to watch a game.

Mega billionaires treat football clubs like playthings with no respect or concern for the thousands of men and women for whom those clubs are a large part of their lives.

We play in a competition where finishing fifth is failure to about six clubs and finishing seventeenth is success to another dozen. The idea of a level playing field is no longer a consideration, only money rules.

Football at local levels is imploding at at national level being disregarded. How many people are looking forward to the international break and how many people would rather have a ''normal'' weekend?

Perhaps being an ''old fart'' I am not welcoming change but some of these changes I am finding very difficult to accept.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Unlike many posters on here I''m only in my 40th year of watching City. I''m not losing interest either. However, the pre-Sky days when teams like us could compete - near enough - with the top teams have gone. In many ways that makes the PL much less of a spectacle than used to be. I can understand the attractiveness of Championship football - matches are even and they come round frequently - replay that league with the same teams and you''ll probably get a radically different outcome. So would relegation be a disaster from a supporters''s perspective probably not but from a business perspective it undoubtedly is. So I''m not losing interest. I believe the quality our our squad compared to those around us is being exposed. This reflects inter aliia our rise from league one, the rapid change in the squad and the loss of Lambert. I blame no one. I would question the efficacy of McNally''s concept of ''mutual'' ownership if the key strategic objective is survival in the PL. In the medium term I''m of the view that a benefactor is needed to survive in the PL. But from a footballing viewer''s perspective watching competitive matches is more fun than being thumped every week.[/quote]

Great post.

Only 4 league games between Sept 15th and Oct 26th. Newcastle(A), Liverpool(H), Chelsea(A) and Arsenal (H). It''s hard for fans not to get depressed in that time.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Championship over the Premiership every day of the week for me. Still, I don''t want us to get relegated. I just find it depressing that the best we can  ever really do is compete for survival every year.[/quote]I can see what you mean. I''d prefer it if we yo-yo''d for a few years (like Sunderland and West Brom used to), then settled; rather than be like Wigan (last day survival season after season).Still, I want us to stay up and in all honesty think we have a good chance of doing that.

People on here seem to forget that we have had far more average/poor seasons than good. Support should be through thick and in. The plastic fans will disappear if we struggle all season. Some of us who were at the Paulton Rovers game realise what support truly means.

Let the plastics disappear I don''t care