Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Howson...we reacted

This is very worrying if he is so blind to believe our showing at Chelsea was a reaction, perhaps marginally not as bad as the Liverpool game but still pretty woeful. He goes on about the second half, the only reason why it was 1 goal was they were in total control and took their foot off the gas, nothing to do with us! We lost, yes they are good but please do not come out with we work hard and showed a reaction, it''s like you are satisfied with the result and performance where there in it lies a big problem....no belief!

Otbc

He''s not going to slate the club or be overly negative, is he? It''s worrying if a manager says this kind of thing but when you hear it from players I always take it with a pinch of salt. I would prefer him and the players to be positive though rather than being negative.

My concern with the continued positive comments from CH and players is that they may start to believe they are on the right track, whils our league position (yes I know the season is still fairly young) and our lack of clinical finishing of games (like against qpr and west ham) show we need to take things up a couple of gears.

Would you prefer that Hughton and the players came out stating that we''re doomed? There''s 30 games left..... Jesus...

I thought we were much better against Chelsea than we were against Liverpool, and you''ve also got to bear in mind that Chelsea actually look like a world class side going forward. Liverpool look distinctly average yet still scored 5. Let''s put it like this; I don''t think Liverpool will be scoring 5 past many teams in this division this season, whereas I can see Chelsea scoring 4+ a fair few times.

I think we''d prefer it if he just did the sensible thing and not say anything at all, it merely aggravates the fans to hear that a 4-1 defeat is an acceptable response to a 5-2 home drubbing...

Of course we expect Hughton to come out and not be overly negative, it''s the sensible thing to do, keep calm and carry on, but I think the players should just focus on improving and stay out of the media for the time being.

[quote user="Notts Canary"]I think we''d prefer it if he just did the sensible thing and not say anything at all, it merely aggravates the fans to hear that a 4-1 defeat is an acceptable response to a 5-2 home drubbing... Of course we expect Hughton to come out and not be overly negative, it''s the sensible thing to do, keep calm and carry on, but I think the players should just focus on improving and stay out of the media for the time being.[/quote]

I think you''ll find that they have to do media stuff or they''ll get fined. Also there would be accusations of failing to keep the fans informed as ''they are the ones who pay their wages and they have a right to know what''s going on''.

Did he say it was an "acceptable response"? He is quoted as saying

“Coming in at half-time 3-1 down, with the second half – OK, it’s a terrific finish from Ivanovic to twist on it and put it in from there. But apart from that, I think we restricted them to very little. So I think you can take positives, especially from the second half. But at times we did play some good stuff and created some good chances, so we can learn from this experience.”

I don''t think there''s anything wrong with what he said there, he''s just being upbeat, we are playing the european champions who have 100% record at home. I think a few teams are going to take a real pasting at Stamford Bridge this season.