Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

All comments for tonight's match here please...

I thought everyone worked really hard tonight. When Sky put the team sheet/formation up on the screen, I knew that the weak link would be the right side of defense, Edworthy and Fleming...and it proved true.

They were both outplayed all night and how they both let Cole through was dreadful. It''s not their fault, but they are just not Premiership quality. On the other hand, Druey and Shackell played out of their skins and I was very impressed!

Midfield looked out-numbered but they all put in a lot of effort...Stuart hasn''t half got some pace for an older guy. Huckerby tried hard and Francis and Holt both won their fair share of balls.

Ashton and McKenzie were once again a handful when they had the ball.

Considering we were playing the best team in the land, I thought on the whole we put in a good performace, and as Nigel Worthington says, it''s where we''re at.

We definatley need to stregthen that defense though...somehow.

Very pleased with tonight''s performance and don''t feel half as gutted as I did on Monday night. 

So glad we scored one goal and for one second I thought...maybe!   McKenzie has broken the record of Peter Cech''s

Shackell played a blinder and saved 2 or 3 more going in.

I wouldn''t mind losing those big games if we could win the Charltons, Man City, Blackburn etc games

First things first. How I roared when McKenzie scored the first goal Chelsea have conceded in the Premiership in 1,025 minutes! A true David & Goliath moment, and what an atmosphere at Carrow Rd! Ok, with our flimsy defence the score was never going to be level for long, but for a while the ground shook.Shackell I thought was outstanding against the £24 million Drogba. Simply superb as he ordered our reluctant defence to push out and stand up to Chelsea''s prima donna''s. Sadly though, the dreadful Edworthy, and the very ordinary Fleming were not up to the challenge.But what eventually made me respect Chelsea was how hard everyone worked in defence when we had a brief spell on top. Throwing legs and bodies infront of shots, diving in the way, desperate to block everything. If only our lot could defend with that kind of determination. In stark contrast our defence stood and watched passively as Chelsea headed in their third goal. Soft as you like.

Not disappointed as expected nothing from the game. We played well against a team which is simply the best I''ve see so far this season. Their ball retention and general play was world class and generally we couldn''t compete. I also felt that they didn''t step it up a gear with one eye on midweek.

On the plus side Shackell was very very good, the Leon/Ashton partnership is looking very good regardless of what division we''ll be in next season. We also seemed to be getting a foot in making important blocks, closing down etc which is something we''ve not done against the top teams so far. Big disappoint to again give away another free header in the box for third goal.

If we can use the two weeks we now have to tighten up, work on retaining possession and getting organized then maybe we can have a small chance of survival. It''s looking tough and we''ll need to take points from Palace and Southampton. Even if we don''t, with a little investment in the summer then I''ll be very confident of a swift return

Not suprised at the result, not to disappointed with the performance - actually thought at one point we could cause an upset - but what I couldn''t understand playing against the best in the country why is our best defender (Charlton) on the bench why is a strong midfielder like Saffri left on the bench.

I''m fed up with Worthingtons favourite eleven and would like to see our strongest eleven - never mind Hendersons back !

I''m afraid I must jump on the bandwagon here regarding our general performance and echo the sentiments of my fellow yellows and slate the defence. OK, it was a game where a draw would have been celebrated like a world cup win, but must we, week in and week out allow teams to score against us at will? Cole''s goal was a great strike even tho sloppy defending gave him the opportunity, but the other two, my god!!!

Shackell did indeed have a great game, and was MoM in my book, but I felt he gave up the chase too early when Kezman scored - however, as he did plenty to prevent more, he can be forgiven. As for Carvalho''s goal !!!!!!! need I say more?? 

We know we can score goals - Ashton looks good and McKenzie never stops battling (and has one hell of a jump for a small guy). Our midfield also look reasonable - Now lets get that back line sorted and we can avoid the drop.

LET''S BE ''AVIN YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote]I thought everyone worked really hard tonight. When Sky put the team sheet/formation up on the screen, I knew that the weak link would be the right side of defense, Edworthy and Fleming...and it prove...[/quote]

I agree, i thought Shackell was superb tonight and it fills me with confidence for the future that we half a centre half of his talent to count upon over the next couple of years. Unfortuanatly his partner at the back was once again awful!! Its become plainly obvious over the last 5 or 6 weeks that Captain Fleming is the weak link of the back four. Diving into impossible tackles, terrible positional play and failing to pick up at set pieces are all a common part of Flemings play. It says a great deal about the man when a 20 year old in his second premiership game has to marshall the back four and dish out the orders. For me i felt it was harsh on the Doc when he was he dropped, as Flem was the poorer of the two but seeing the ability of Shackell over the last couple of games i think its time they both had a stint in the reserves. Im sure a partnership of Shackell and Chalton would steady up the shaky defence. Charlton is a great reader of the game and the clean sheets we kept in the early part of the season were all with charlton in the centre. I know Flem has been a huge part of our progress over the last couple of seasons but if we are to salvage anything from the remainder of the season then i feel that Fleming has got to be given a break. Will it happen? I very much doubt it! When Flem was made Captain he became the first name on Worthys team sheet every week.Will Worthy have the bottle to drop him, once again i very much doubt it.

Because Chelsea''s team cost over a hundred million and ours cost less money than Abramovich has lost down the back of his sofa, I''m not that fed up. However, a lot came into focus tonight. As I''ve been saying on this notice board for MONTHS, Flem isn''t good enough this season (and won''t be next season) but Shackell is. A pairing with Charlton would be my choice, as he''s got the experience and we conceded less goals when he was central defence, despite his lack of height. Edworthy has got to go, he''s looking poor even for the Championship. At least we might hang on to Greeno, as his confidence is shaken at the moment. Greeno should have come for the corner for Chelsea''s third goal; I know Fleming lost Calvahlo, but he headed the ball from four yards out! Our midfield needs a bit of pepping up, with Holt and the right of midfield (be it Stuart, Jonsson or McVeigh) in need of replacement. Most of all, we need a leader. Hucks was provider again tonight with his class, and the front two seem to be hitting it off well (Deano was very impressive again). A big re-build is needed in the summer but, if money''s spent wisely, we can come back up even stronger.  

Not surprised we lost because we were playing a class act but just felt frustrated that we did not get amongst them. Just look at the game sheff utd did against Arsenal they battled hard and gave them a very good game; we showed them far too much respect. Watching the game with neutrals they labelled Gary Holt as the worst premiership player ever and I have to agree, remember when somehow he managed to tackle himself, shocking!! How well the inevitable beckons!!  

"McKenzie never stops battling (and has one hell of a jump for a small guy)"

Can he play centre back?

My only additional thought was that we scored about 20 mins too soon!

OTBC