Sign in to follow this  
Creasy

Hurry Helvi ... Eddy too poor

How many balls did eddy give away on today and slip upo on tackles .. he was poor today and we could get somewhere with a defence of Helveg, Charlton, Shackal, Drury ... also id cnt wait for svensson to return .. that guy was on form 

''Eddy'' has been poor all season, it''s nothing new. It amazes me when people harp on about him being the player of the season. He, like Holt, is totally out of his depth at this level. When Helveg has slotted in at right back (yes Worthy, his proper position, take note) he has looked different class. But no point us going on about it - Worthington will not change his line up and will never dump his ''championship'' players. This is, ultimately, what will relegate us.

I have to agree with this too. I was watching yesterdays game with a non-Norwich supporter who doesn''t get to see Norwich very often, and he reckoned based on yesterdays performance both Edworthy and Holt are the two worst players in the Premiership - tad harsh for me but both were poor yesterday (again). I really think Saffri should be given a chance in centre mid, and Helveg must go back in at right back ASAP. Eddworthy has done okay in most games, but he is beginning to contribute more and more errors, positionally and passing, which puts the whole team under pressure. As for Holt, he just panics when put under pressure. Will Worthington do anything before it is too late? 

Too right, Steeno was superb for us! Legend! Hasn''t he retired now? Was thinking maybe he could come back lol

Steeno was better at right back than either Helveg (from what I''ve seen so far) or Eddy. But Creasy, you seem just a tad biased towards out Scandinavians - Helveg wasn''t at all impressive in that position because Premiership strikers give you no time on the ball, and he didn''t have the speed of thought to match his superior "Serie A" technique.

... and another thought - play Jonson at right back. He did very well doing emergency duty there. He doesn''t mind tackling hard (!), and he wouldn''t be any more out of position than he looks on the right wing.

I''m a big fan of eddy, but yesterday was his poorest in a City shirt. It also annoys me hearing flemings''s rallying pleas, when he is one of the least physical players in our team. We need someone like Matt Elliot, when he was at leicester. How about dean richards??

[quote]How many balls did eddy give away on today and slip upo on tackles .. he was poor today and we could get somewhere with a defence of Helveg, Charlton, Shackal, Drury ... also id cnt wait for svensson ...[/quote]

Not one of Eddie''s better days at the office,but you have to play with what''s available,and as both nordic mercenaries are bogging off back to bacon land at the end of the season it seems a pointless exercise worrying what they may or may not have done.

I am sorry but what is all the fuss about?

eddy played poor and holt was poor

we were playing the league champions who have turned over nearly all the teams they have played this season

every time they got the ball yesterday they had 3 or 4 options for the man with the ball and we had it we were lucky if we had one option and most of the time it was to clear the ball straight back to them

when we went 1-1 they stepped up a gear and scored easy as that............

I was a Eddy fans all season butu judge his recent performance, it was absolutely no confidence now. I was too sick to see Eddy was always passing back to Fleming, instead of tried to pass the ball up front. I recall when I was in Norwich in last October, Eddy will dribble and successively winning free kick. Was it too many games for him to play?

I was never a Helveg fans but at the current situation IF he was fit, I would love to see the Denmark captain to replace Eddy, not sure for how long but I think the big wage signing should at least show his worth to the club now...

Eddys performance was typical of his game this season - but we do not currently have a fit alternative so he has to play - teh same can not be said of the captain of the side - out played, out organised and out lead by his newbie colleague in central defence.

OTBC 

It never ceases to amaze me how different people seem to view different games and players. I actually think Eddy has been one one of our defenders of the season.  For me Fleming is the one who has seemed well out of his depth, and at times completely incapable of bringing any organisation or stability to the defence. He gets turned every game, left flat footed, and when he does get the ball his distribution is frankly embarrassing. Hoof it anywhere, is probably an expression that donkeys would find insulting. All of these faults were shown up graphically against Chelsea. What a lot of people have been saying all season has actually transpired - Shackell, when given his chance - proved he is everything that Fleming is not. He actually looked the senior partner - strong, fast, great organisation, comfortable on the ball - pre-requisites for any central defender in the premier these days. Malky was slow as hell, but he was a great organiser. I actually think we sold the wrong one of our old central pairing. And it''s the organisational vacuum he left, as much as anything, that''s unsettled the defence. Especially the right side, where I feel Eddy has often had to come inside and cover for Fleming, who far too often drops players, or is found ball watching or marking space. It''s  not over til the fat lady sings, but we''re probably down. But whether we''re premier or championship next year, we need to start building our defence for the future and we need to start NOW. I guess with Flem being club captain (and I admit the guy has been a loyal servant over the years, and got us up last year) that Worthy has stuck by him out of loyalty (a la Beckham/Erricsson), thinking he would bring experience to the team. But experience is no substitute for footballing ability, and I''m afraid that at this level, Fleming is now well out of his depth. It''s harsh, but I''d drop him straight away and start to build around Shackell and Doherty, both young, tall, good in the air, comfortable on the ball, can play it out of defence. With Charlton as cover for either player, or for a full back. And if we could add another tall young central defender to the mix as extra cover, that would be a great foundation to build on.

As for Svensson, it amazes me anyone''s looking forward to him coming back. If people think Leon had a poor first touch, they should watch vids of Svensson. He''s like a pinball machine. His second touch was always a tackle. Ninety percent of our moves break down with him when he''s playing. He wins about 5 percent of balls in the air. Leon, who''s a few inches smaller, has a much better leap and wins a lot more headers. Sorry, but I''ve seen more accomplished players than Svensson in the sunday league. In fact, all of the scandinavians we bought recently have been a big disapppointment. I thought Jonson would turn into a right sided hucks and run at players, but he''s just become another one of Worthy''s ''utility'' players, who you pass the ball off, backwards, sideways, and he runs up and down all day achieving bugger all, like Brennan and Henderson.  We need players who can unlock defences, not mediocrity. Even Rivers used to run at defenders. Jury''s still out on Helveg. For the first half of the season he was some way off the pace of hte english game, seem to need to long on the ball, got caught out trying to be clever instead of do the simple things well. But just before he got injured I thought he  had his best spell in the holding midfield role, just in front of the defence.  Maybe when he comes back he would be a smarter choice than Holt, who has chased shadows most of this season.

I''ve been disappointed by Saffri, who like Helveg, seems to stroll through games leaving gaps and not doing much. Not shown much class to me, or passion or commitment, in the games he''s got on. You''d expect a player to give it everything if they weren''t getting picked often.

Does anyone think

Hi cliffoa (can we have an explanation for the name?)  - welcome to the board and thanks for your thoughts - pretty much a summary of the thoughts on here for the last 3 months  - which I am sure will get approval and disapproval in equal quantities.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the coaches removing that spark from players - Jarvis is a classic example where he looks a class player but has not had the opportunity to show us what tey can do as the club sticks with experience - a copy of the shackell situation - the thought of  Jarvis and Ashton should be good but worthy seems to want to quash that energy and prefers Hendo - who does what hsi manager wants even if its not what the team needs. Jonson gets criticised for doing exactly what the boss wants - yet the person taking the abuse is Jonson when the coaches need to look at what they want from a team. 

I do disagree about Sven though - his touch is infinitely better than Leons - if only we could get the best of both of them - Leons energy with Sven ability I think we would have a class striker. 

As you can probably tell from my other posts I (& currently most posters) agree with you about Flem but I remain equally confident about he staying in the side.   I disagree about Eddy who until Flems recent disasterous drop in form (Flem did play well for the 1st 3 months or so) had exactly the same attributes that you criticise in Flem - I raised these concerns 5 months ago and accept that mine remains a minority(but growing) view of our right back.  Helvegs return to fitness will come too late.

I look forward to more posts from you cliffoa

OTBC