Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

season by season improvement isn't that whats expected?

if thats the case look at Hughtons record comparing last seasons results to this:                    last                    this                better/worseFulham a    1-2                      0-5                     FAR WORSEQPR            2-1                      1-1                     WORSESpurs           2-1                      1-1                      WORSEWest Ham                                0-0                  compared to all relegated teams WORSENewcastle    0-1                       0-1                     sameLiverpool     0-3                       2-5                     WORSE even though same margin we conceded 5 for second timeChelsea        1-3                        1-3 at HT          WORSE

the facts are plain to see we need to ditch Hughton as he just cannot cut it at this level, thats why Newcastle were right to ditch him too.

why? because the truth hurts? I was all for Hughton when appointed but the facts are there for all to see!!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]why? because the truth hurts? I was all for Hughton when appointed but the facts are there for all to see!!![/quote]

The facts are that you are letting your emotion getting the better of your judgement.

If only football was this simple that every team improves on last seasons results year on year. Every season is different and we''ve had a big spanner thrown into the works by the manager leaving and a new manager comming who was always going to have different ideas whoever he was. To be honest we could easily be going through exactly the same thing even if Lambert had been in charge, there are never any guarantee''s.

So now what then ? Who should we appoint ? Who would want to manage us with no money. I''m sure Harry rednapp wouldn''t. Unfortunatly chris is not our centre back. If so then he could take the blame. The centre backs are the ones making mistakes not him. He can only pick who we have in squad with limited money !!

Now try and get behind your team. Mr loyal supporter !!

[quote user="baldyboy"]I am glad you cleared that up for me, now can you tell me what to have for tea please?[/quote]

In the olden days I think they used to put bromide in their tea to calm them down.    Just a thought..............

Let''s give Hughton the benefit of the doubt for the next two matches. Holt is coming good and he is starting to utilise wingers and Hoolahan. I will judge him after the next two matches when I think he will have had ample time.

Baldyboy - I don''t know how long you''ve been watching football, but let me let you in on a little secret. It''s IMPOSSIBLE for every team to do better this season than they did last! Just think about it.

Now sometimes teams do better than they did the season before and sometimes they do worse. It''s always been this way and always will be. If you support a team it''s a very good idea to get used to it.

Oh - and Wigan lost EIGHT matches in a row last season and stayed up comfortably. Yes, our start has been disappointing, but there''s still a very long way to go and running around panicking like Private Fraser isn''t going to help.

Yeah my point and who exactly else can we play instead. Oh wait turner ??! Get real he brought 2 centre backs with what we could afford. End of with are no Chelsea with millions. I take it you will be booing the next home game. I take it you go to home games ?!

[quote user="Steady On..."]Baldy boy when your hair fell out did your brains go with it? Tool.[/quote]

Clearly how many anti Norwich posts. He''s posted today last 3 years Was he doing the same ?!

Bb, perhaps you should also look at the results towards the end of last season. We were starting to struggle then. Hughton can only work with what he has, and can afford to add.

actually I have been going for more than 40 years so have seen many ups and downs, too many to mention in fact!!! the reason I am so p155ed off is the manner of our play!!! we have no impetus to get the ball forward quickly enough and the manager seems incapable of making attacking substitutions, can you explain why he swapped Holt for morison when we needed to score goals? I would be happier if he went for it once in a while instead of being so negative, he was negative at home to west Ham and refused to bring Hoolahan on in case we lost the game, I would rather lose being exciting than roll over and capitulate and then hearing all this bigging up of the opposition is pathetic. Oh and by the way i have a season ticket and always have had!!

Well my dad has said the last 3 years have been the most success he can remember seeing at the club. In his 45 years of support strange how people differ opinions. You should know how much of a state the club was in , and how that has changed finically and fan base. So why the negativity ?! If its that bad stop going or perhaps you should of back In league 1 ?!

why the negativity? Cos the football is dross!!! Give me something to be positive about and I will get behind the manager!!!

Do you not remember the crap we used to watch pre league 1 season. We got out classed yesterday by the European champions not colchester again. Last week by Liverpool who''s one striker cost more than our whole squad.

They can only give as good as they can get.

You never played Saturday football, being the heavy underdogs. And how hard it is when the players are that much better ?!

"Well my dad has said the last 3 years have been the most success he can remember seeing at the club. In his 45 years of support strange how people differ opinions"

Your Dad must have a very poor memory then!

Different season.

New players.

New manager.

New backroom staff.

''Toughest'' League yet.

Fulham hadn''t lost Dembele when we played them, and always play well at home. QPR we had more than enough GOOD chances to win, same with West Ham, I wasn''t too disappointed at the time, but since we haven''t won those two draws even more so than Spurs away are quite annoying. Liverpool have improved, Chelsea have vastly improved their attacking play (Torres is good again, Hazard and Oscar).

Plus injuries. As a club we never really moan about injuries. But we''ve had Whittaker out all season, Butterfield has only played one cup game. Tettey only just fit, Bennett missed a few games, Pilks missed a few games. Bassong missed a game and quite probably wasn''t fully fit yesturday. Also Holt possibly not at his fittest yet/until recently.

Bennett and Pilks are going to be playing almost every game they are fit for, at the very least one of them will probably come off the bench, if not both starting ahead of Snodgrass. Bassong is the experiance and quality we need in defence. He''ll be starting every game he''s fit for. Tettey looks like a regular fixture now he''s available. Whittaker could be good, Butterfield looked promising. Moro hasn''t hit form yet so Holt not being at his best was also a very big miss.

I think now our squad is verging on full fitness, we''ve got to step it up a gear. Personally i''m not going to worry until we have failed to beat one or two of Villa, Stoke and Reading (and I don''t think we will fail). We have ''lost'' points on last season, but there is 3 games in which we can easily make up these ''lost points''. As from last season, ignoring Reading it was only 1 point from two games.

It''s what we hope for but it''s not necessarily expected. With a stronger PL, the loss of manager and either unwillingness or inability (I''m not sure which) to strengthen our forward options, we were always likely to struggle this season.

"What 3 seasons of back to back success. Yeah must have , or maybe not a fickle fan"

Just saying if he he''s supported us for over 40 years and can''t remember seasons of more success he must have a short memory. Iv''e seen FA cup semi finals, League cup win, 3rd place in the PL finish followed by European football and haven''t been around for any where near that time!

[quote user="ThirstyLizard"] Baldyboy - I don''t know how long you''ve been watching football, but let me let you in on a little secret. It''s IMPOSSIBLE for every team to do better this season than they did last! Just think about it.

Now sometimes teams do better than they did the season before and sometimes they do worse. It''s always been this way and always will be. If you support a team it''s a very good idea to get used to it.

[/quote]

Could the OP respond to this properly? The fact that he says he has been watching 40 years and in that time seen all the ups and downs (DOWNS - there''s a clue there!) makes his original point all the more awesomely dumb!

As lizard said, it''s not possible. For ANY team. That''s not an opinion or a viewpoint. It''s a fact - you can''t go on and on improving. We managed it for three seasons and look what happened - consecutive promotions and staying in the premier league. How many teams have done that? 2? It would happen all the time in this bizarre world of never ending improvement that he has dreamt up. The world operates in cycles, in almost everything. Right now, we''re in a down cycle - we have to try and survive it, get through it and think with clear heads. We have a board who i have enough faith in to be able to do that. Although if many more fans start talking like this we could yet be the architects of our own downfall.

[quote user="JF"]"Well my dad has said the last 3 years have been the most success he can remember seeing at the club. In his 45 years of support strange how people differ opinions" Your Dad must have a very poor memory then![/quote]

I doubt we''ve ever had 3 successive seasons to match the last 3.

Football is a bit like the economy.   Its built on confidence.   If you talk it down too much people start getting wary and lose that sense of what is possible.   While it wouldn''t be a disaster imo if we got relegated, we are still in the premiership and it is only the beginning of October.  There is time to turn it round and we should remember that.   If people keep positive and trust the team and manager - anything is still possible.  If gloom and doom descends on Cara Rd too soon, it will affect the team and we will be on a downer.    There is nothing cast in stone that says we can''t improve this season.   We had this at this time last season too.  People were saying we weren''t good enough.  Thankfully Lambert and the team had other ideas.   I hope Hughton and his team can do the same.  

Actually there are no downs and ups in reality  -  the next game is al that matters.

We need a bit of siege mentality, everyone united and behind the team and manager, cos that''s the only way we are going to stay up. There were some hopeful signs yesterday, Holt is getting up to speed, Tettey showed good energy, won possession a few times, talking, organising and showing some fight, Bassong came through 60 minutes apparently unscathed and now has a fortnight to get back to being 100%. What we will have to do better than we did in the first 45 minutes yesterday, is to get in the opposition''s faces more, put them under pressure and make it harder to make the killer pass. The half time stat on the Chelski scoreboard summed it up, we committed one foul in the first half, they made 6. It seemed to have been decided that we would not press in their half, something reversed at half time as we did not press anywhere near hard enough in our half. We''ve seen before that the we''ll play now you play approach does not work.