Sign in to follow this  
GB1902

Team for next year...

With out wishing to sound to defeatist I think most people including myself have conceeded that we are a championship team next year. With that in mind, what team do you think will get us back up? I''ll go for this 1 with the questions marks being filled by new players being brought in. This also assumes that Green and Francis are sold in the summer, Helveg leaves for denamrk and that our trusty club captain is dropped to a role on the bench. Possibility that Jonson may go and Eddy maybe dropped in favour of Worthy bringing in someone else as well. Gallagher ?/Eddy Shackell ? Drury ?/Jonson Safri ? Huckerby Leon Ashton

Yes, time for a re-building exercise, to gel a 24-man squad ready for a return to the Prem:

Gallagher/Ward

NEW   NEW   Shackell   Drury

NEW   Safri   NEW (a leader/organiser!)   Hucks

Deano Leon

Squad Players: McVeigh, Henderson, Charlton, Jonsson, Svensson, Brennan, Doherty, plus a right sided defender and two more midfielders (one attacking, one defensive). Jarvis and Crow on short-term loans to get first team experience.

Wanted by Prem Teams: Greeno, Francis (and possibly Shackell, based on his handful of first team performances this season!).

Out: Mulryne, Fleming, Holt, Edworthy, Helveg, Stuart.

i think your forgetting something-were planning for a team in the championsip next year, not the premiership!

players like holt, fleming are decent players there and will not leave-but agree that there squad players

Ward

Edworthy  NEW  Shackell  Drury

NEW  Holt  NEW  Huckerby

Ashton  Mckenzie

we need;

0-goalkeepers!

2-defenders

2-midfielders(koumas)

1-striker(hulse)

[quote]If we sign four new defenders, three new midfielders and we''ll be ok.[/quote]

Could we afford that?

we would have about 5 million from Francis and Greeno plus another 5 million parachute payments so 10 million. Would all that go towards players?

Out;Green - ArsenalFrancis - CharltonHelveg - Danish clubCharlton - Lower leagueFlem - Lowrer leagueDoherty - AnywhereMulryne - CelticMcviegh - CelticHolt - AnywhereSvennsson - Sweidish clubJonson - BrondbyShackell - Prem team

In;Curtis Davies - LutonReo- Coker - West HamKris commons - ForestLeon Knigt - BrightonThe next Martin Keown form Crewe, please remind me of his name

IF we go down?!?!...

IMHO I really dont feel there is much call to change the team around too much with the players that worthy has at his disposal.

Pending of course on whether or not Green, Ashton and/or Francis go in the summer, there is more than enough quality, especially in an attacking sense for us to come straight back up again!

We have some good youngsters that will be stronger and more experienced next season, which im sure will continue to progress at a steady rate.

However, we do need added strength at the back where Flemming has been found wanting on one or two occasions this season! I agree with some of the posters on here, the inclusion of someone with pace of Gabbidon from Cardiff would be of great benefit.

There''s certainly no need to panic and add players all over the pitch with money that we haven''t got. Besides, we already have a squad far better than the one we finished with last season. And lets be honest we virtually walked it

Cohesion is the key.

[quote]Out;Green - ArsenalFrancis - CharltonHelveg - Danish clubCharlton - Lower leagueFlem - Lowrer leagueDoherty - AnywhereMulryne - CelticMcviegh - CelticHolt - AnywhereSvennsson - Sweidish clubJonson - B...[/quote]

I thought it was nice how you found a home for most of them whilst you were at it! Not sure what Celtic would want with McVeigh or Mulryne. I suppose the ''lil fellas might make good mascots.Bearing in mind how difficult it is for a team with 5-6 new players to gel - and quite how we could afford some of the suggestions for that matter (don''t forget we borrowed against the parachute payments to buy Ashton already) - we would, realistically, want to start the season with the best of what we''ve got left with new players waiting in the wings.Assuming we lose Green, Deano + Helveg (I think we should do our best to hold onto the latter as it''ll no doubt be a hugely cut-down fee we''d get for him), I suggest...

WardCharlton, Shax, Flem, DruryHendo, Stuart, Brennan, HuxLeon, Ash

Subs: Saf, Eddy, Jarvis, Svensson, Jonson

On second thought... the squad does need a bit of a once-over with a feather duster. If we need a cull, then I''d like to see the following out to free-up the purse-strings... Holty, Doc (I''ve got a feeling he may be over-paid), Mullers, McVeigh.We desperately need defenders and midfielders coming in to replace the dead-wood - suggest two of each to start... all potential first-teamers. Our strike force ought to be the best in the Championship if we can hang onto all of the above.

I think you''ve got to get the mix with players who will get us out of the championship, and keep us in the premiership next season. Got to remember that Francis wasn''t a nailed on starter last yr.

Gallacher or Hislop (outcast at Pompey, quality keeper)

Drury Charlton Shackell and an other

Hucks Jonson Safri Koumas (good player, out of favour at brom)

Green and Francis will stay in the premiership

Mullers, Mcveigh, Holt, will move on

I am sorry but why no stuart for next season ? he has looked good to me and it would be good to give him a game in central midfield maybe with safri playing alongside him

And why the fudge has everyone forgetten about the Doc? Ok he''s not the best in the world but he was player of the month last month, getting better by the game now everyone thinks he won''t be up to fizzy league standards!

My team next year: WardEddy/NEW? Doc Shack DruryJonson Safri NEW Hux Leon AshtonI think this would be a very strong championship side but we need to bolster our squad side if we are to deal with potential injuries.I would ideally like to see a young up and coming RB and hope to keep Helveg (but doubt we will). A new quality young defender such as Gabiddon or Jagielka would be a bonus but a tall order maybe. I think we''ll desperately need a new quality midfielder to replace francis and would love to see Koumas. Stuart should be kept as cover. A quality right winger would also be on my wish list but unlikely if we keep Jonson.

[quote]Could we afford that? we would have about 5 million from Francis and Greeno plus another 5 million parachute payments so 10 million. Would all that go towards players?[/quote]

Probably not.

And if we''re planning for a team in the Championship then I think our team is already strong enough to be premoted. We should be looking to bring in better than what we''ve got; players that will be able to make the step up to the Premiership if and when we get premoted.

[quote]If we went down.... Gallagher Eddy Doc Charlie Drury NEW Saf Holt Hucks Deano Ashton Yes please![/quote]

strongly agree DD

Not sure about jonson leaving thou.. allong with helveg, i dont think anyone would really want to buy them......

And your missing out Jarvis, Crow and Henderson.....

Either of them could fill the right-midfield gap.

[quote]If we went down.... Gallagher Eddy Doc Charlie Drury NEW Saf Holt Hucks Deano Ashton Yes please![/quote]

No Shackell? Holt and Safri? Edworthy? Are you mental?

My team for a potential Championship campaign:

Ward

Helveg/New  Doherty  Shackell  Drury

Jonson/New  Francis  New
                               Huckerby

Ashton  Leon

We need two new players for definite, possibly three. I believe Francis will stay unless we get a stupid offer. We need a new right back and partner for Francis in the middle. Jonson would be good in the Championship, depends on the alternatives though.

I personally hope we keep hold of all three Scandinavian players. Helveg hasn''t really had a chance a right back, but he would easily be the best in the Championship should he stay. Jonson, not quite quick or attacking enough for the Prem but is very strong and would give us that bit of bite on the right hand side that maybe we lacked last time out. Henderson and McVeigh weren''t really too strong in the tackle last year so there we go. Svensson, probably won''t be first choice now, but if he manages to come back from this injury and get his fitness back to the sort of levels he was at around the Bolton game, he will give very good competition for places up front. We found out last year that he knows where the goal is. Now on to my team

Gallacher

Helveg Doherty Shackell Drury

Jonson Holt Safri Huckerby

McKenzie Ashton

subs
Ward, Charlton, Svensson, Crow, New Midfielder < this bloke will make the difference, think he plays for Northampton at the moment but lots of skill.

The front three is staring us in the face... they played on saturday. The rest is completely up in the air. Green has probably blown his big move so will probably have to settle for middlesborough or another lesser premier club, Francis is already being tapped up. The back 4 should all be culled, as they will struggle at Div one level if the standard of this season is anything to go by.

Holt, Mulryne, Brennan, Helveg... all to go. With the extra space in the squad, Crow and shackell and possibly Jarvis should step up to the plate, to supplement the QUALITY new signings, full backs, a centre half and a ball carrying goalscoring midfielder. With a solid back line and a goalscoring midfield, the front three SHOULD carry us back to promotion. But its by no means a foregone conclusion.

Personally, i think we should stick by the majority of the players that we already have as they would be good champ players.

Players prob leaving:

Green, Francis, Helveg, Svensson, Bentley, Mulryne, ????Jonson????

Can''t see any others leaving apart from these who are most likely.

Therefore, i would like to see us bring in a couple of defenders, but i won''t complain if we don''t beacause i think Shackell will be a regular and him and doc at centre back would make a good partnership in that division at least. Maybe one or two midfielders and thats all we need IMO.

My team would be:

Ward

?????     Shackell    ?????       Drury

?????      Safri        ?????   Huckerby

Ashton     McKenzie

At right back i would like PHIL JAGIELKA or DEAN LEACOCK

At centre-back i would like CALUM DAVENPORT on loan or even WAYNE THOMAS, or play Doherty if we can''t get anyone.

At right wing i''d have JASON KOUMAS cos he''s quality all over. If not then play Jonson if we keep him or McVeigh.

Centre midfield i''d like to get DARREN AMBROSE on loan if we can or REO-COKER.

I am assuming that we will lose Helveg (needs top flight games to captain Denmark in the world cup and WILL easily find a buyer) Damo (someone like Portsmouth will take a risk on his inconsistency due to his knack of scoring) and Greeno (pure class) but all three have the risk of not attracting a buyer by association...

Keepers - no change - Ward seems to be Worthys preference but also have gallacher and Lewis as cover.

Defence - Shacks, Drury and Doc form the backbone for the year.  Eddys contract should be renewed for a rough long season but a new first choice right back should be added.   New centre back if we can sign some quality.  Charlie provides experience and options for centre & left back. If no central defender can be signed keep Flem, otherwise sell.  Brennan may also leave as unlucky to remain behind Charlie and Drury - keep him if we can for the wide left berth, but only as cover.   Target Gabbidon, Jagielka, Justin Hoyte or even Cygan?

Midfield.  Holt does the ''destructive'' job in the champs well enough and remains, but behind Safri who does a similar holding job but keeps the ball better.  A holt/safri combination is not a good enough option going forward.  A central midfield partner is a must but who we can attarct is anyones guess.  May be a good time to buy some experience (Koumas, Jagielka,Tonge?) and also take a risk on a talented youngster from the lower leagues (still bitterly disappointed that we did not go for Chaplow).  Jonson like Holt is likely to do well and is better than the options and better than most that have been tried wide right.  He is not perfect by any means but given a totally rebuilt midfield some continuity is needed.   I would love to see Bentley again who would be superb in the champs but cant see that happening due to his demands and the UEFA homegrown regulations just around the corner.  Mullers must be allowed to leave and probably wee WLY, figured lightly last season, clearly conflicts with Worthy too frequently, although I would have him in the squad as a quality option.   Worthy needs to get the formation right for the prem, not just winning the champ and so 4-3-3 is not an option hence no hux here.  we can still use 4-3-3 if we go behind.

Attack.  The current 4 (Ashton, Hux, Sven & Leon) are easily good enough for this league.  With Crow and Jarvis in the frame we should let Hendo go, unless Sven returns ''home''.

I would stick to 4-4-2

Ward

New  Shacks  New/Doc/Charlie    Drury

Jonson  Safri  New              New      

Ashton    Hux

OTBC

Yes lets sell Flem, who will buy ?, just a question.  Got a new 2 year contract in back pocket and testimonial next year, somehow I don''t think hes going anywhere.  Also Nigel''s blue eyed boy, why would he want to go.

[quote]Yes lets sell Flem, who will buy ?, just a question. Got a new 2 year contract in back pocket and testimonial next year, somehow I don''t think hes going anywhere. Also Nigel''s blue eyed boy, why wou...[/quote]

Peter of course you are right - I cant see it happening either but why do we need a mid 30 central defender when we have three others at the club who have out performed him consistently this season?  Doc, Charlie and Shacks deserve their chance first.

I cant argue with what you have put peter - but it doesnt make it right

OTBC

I think that Green, Francis, Helveg, Mulryne and Mcveigh will all probably be shown the door although Grreon and Francis could easily end up staying if nobody comes in with a good enough offer. Based on the players we have at the club at the moment less the 5 mentioned above I could see a starting 11 of:

Ward

Eddy Doc Shackell Drury

Jonson Stuart Safri Hucks

Ashton Leon

Going forward we have more than enough to do well in the Championship. The key to our season next year will therefore be whether Worthy can add the stability to the midfield and and defence that we have so obviously been lacking. The squad (plus the youngsters) are good enough to provide back up at that level so I think that next summers transfer activity need to be focused on two or three quality players with a quality centre half and central midfielder being top of my list followed by a right winger.

The evidence to me this season points to tow new signings to replace...................Livermore and Foley. I just don''t know why we have experienced players who have turned a confident, impressive looking unit into the bunch of buffoons we see now (attackers excluded). Appoint Dave Williams as assistant Manager and get another new coach in.

On players, a few will leave but the club will not splash'' the cash having made a large number of signings since promotion. At most we might get a defender and a right or central midfielder. But I think we will be stuck with largely what we have minus what''s poached.

To those who think Francis is so desirable to other clubs- how many clubs can afford to have in an anchor role someone who disappears for so long in every game? He looks a damn sight better as an attacking support (a la Paul Scholes) than a central grafter. He''s lost ground in my eyes this season