Sign in to follow this  
carrow77

How times, opinions and expectations change so quickly

So three season''s ago (in League One) we beat Carlisle 0-1 away from home and no doubt "at the time" we all felt that was just as important as going to Spurs and managing to get a point.

LOOK how far we have come (that''s progress in anyone''s book)...nothing stays the same and we can only look forward and there are many more cliches!

So we lost to Chelsea by a 3 goal margin (the same as last season) yet we all feel as if we should have done better or tried harder and maybe sneaked that 1st victory...TBH I feel gutted too but its all about the LEVEL OF EXPECTATION that has been created.

Success doesn''t breed success, its almost as if we have got into the PL so we should automatically compete with and beat the best- WRONG!

On a side note, it would be good to see some consistency in terms of team selection & our formation sooner rather than later as this should help all round.

Finally a decent post , someone who can remember back to the league one days, and how far we have come.

I think a lot of these posters on here now are our new premiership fans.

The obviously cant remember how awful it is going to away grounds like sheds.

And now we are visiting the likes of old trafford. etc

Otbc

I can remember the L1 days and we have indeed come an incredibly long way. Some might say too far too soon as we''ve almost hit a bit of a plateau, where we''re struggling to maintain progress. I''d like to think we''ll scrape survival this season but if not, doing a West Brom for a few seasons wouldn''t be bad. I''m concerned that my usual optimism is ebbing away though and the season has barely started. On to next week I guess. Well, maybe the week after next...

If you look back too much, you go backwards I think.

Every single Norwich City fan knows how far we''ve come. But that doesn''t matter if we can''t stay here. If we do get relegated this season (I don''t think we will), in a year or two no one will care about our double promotion, followed by 12th place finish. About Holt exceeding all expectations and scoring 15, about a bunch of League One and Championship players matching the best in the country.

We need to look forwards. Its not going to be easy to improve any more. What we did was very very hard, but from here, how do we get better? Look at the teams that finished above us last year, bar Swansea and maybe WBA they must have all had so much more money invested into the team in the past 3/4 seasons. We were on League One and Championship budget the previous two years.

Quite simply, while our inexperienced lads did great last season, and aren''t doing as bad as some would lead you to believe this season, without a serious amount of investment, or a very clever scouting system we were always going to find it near impossible to progress. Right now i''d take 17th, last season I never said that, but now, I think its what we have to target. I think we can better it. But i''m not sure Hughton''s philosophy fits our players perfectly. We''ve lost a certain amount of passion and desire, effort, willingness to throw everything we''ve got at the other team that we had under Lambert.

Its easy to say this now, but I think if we want Hughton as long term manager, this season his sole aim is to survive and build his team/squad/players into the solid force they were last season ready for next year, and then aim to finish 11th (an improvement on last season).

If you are playing good football, it doesn''t matter what division you are in or where you go.    I enjoyed going to many of the League 1 grounds and it was a great season to follow us - good football and ultimate success.   Same in the championship.  Even if we had missed promotion that season it was still a good season to follow the team.   Same last season.  

But not this season??? Why not?   Whats different?   The team is still the same players with a few improvements still to take a part - Tetty, Butterfield, Whittaker, Kane when they are all fit.   We have a good manager - yes, I know results haven''t start flowing yet - but there is time.   

Even if we are relegated, we will be one of the strongest teams to be able to come back up.   Imo Lambert would have struggled with us this season - probably why he went.   This was always going to be a hard season.  It seems as if some fans don''t have the stomach for the fight.  What is the worst that can happen?   Relegation.    Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards..............................John Bond did it in  1974.   No one wants relegation - but we shouldn''t let our whole season be governed by thinking about it.   We just need everybody to get behind the team and manager - the club and fans pulling together as we did in the L1 campaign.  You never know - it might just work again. 

I enjoyed the game on Saturday.  Defence is vulnerable, but at 3-1 I did think we created some chances and looked good going forward and good have got back in the game.  I thought we weren''t that noisy on Saturday, and that is a worry.  I remember when we went down at Charlton, thinking - the support has been great and we deserve better than this. 

I have accepted we will struggle this season, Hughton and the players will do their best - so I am going to accept what comes but sing a bit louder.  The season in League 1 is the best I can remember watching Norwich City - great fans and traditional grounds I hadn''t visited before.  Doubt I would have felt the same if we had been relegated though!

I think everyone knows how far we have come and remembers going to the horrid away ties to terrible league 1 opposition.

What most people are upset about is how we have played 7 games and got 3 points. We have not looked like a team that is capable of staying up the way we are playing. Conceeding 5 against Fulham who will most likely end up in the bottom half does not bring confidence. Plus on top of that we have been struggling to score goals. One things we KNOW the team has in abundance.

There have been glimers of hope against Tottenham etc. but things like ''we just need the rub of the green'' and ''we are creating chances but not taking them" is the theme tune to relegation.

I was worried before the start of this season about how a change of management would affect the squad.

However I don''t think that a lot needs to be changed to bring about a few wins. Even though Garrido has been excellent, I would like to see Tierney back to help bring a little width back to the team.

why are people so obsessed with focusing on just the last result, its ALL of the results since pre season not just the chelsea and liverpool games and hughtons refusal to go for the win, especially in the qpr & wet spam games

the reason people are getting cheesed off is because we had 3 good years and can see it all unraveling with this goombah in charge

[quote user="nulli secundus"]I loved it in League One, winning nearly every week.....
[/quote]

Don''t forget how great it was to play football where opposition teams were supported by real supporters not plastic pranw sarnie eaters there for the kudos.

Plenty of good points here and I think it''s good to remember our L1 and Champ campaigns, they were great times.

We do need to keep our nerve.  I think my frustration at the moment is we''re not going for it in games, and we''re performing well below the way we can.  Last year I didn''t mind losing 5-1 at Man City or 3-1 at Chelsea ''cos we''d had a real go.  This year that has been true at Spurs - even if we hadn''t got an equalizer at least we were up for the game.  Whereas Fulham was awful and at Chelsea, although nowhere near as bad, we still didn''t have any real conviction.

I''m mystified by the perception that we''re not "going for it". If Hughton wanted to play for a point at Newcastle or Chelsea why did he start Wes? Failure to get a win doesn''t equate to not trying to get one.

Against QPR, West Ham and Spurs we created enough chances to win and the fact that we didn''t is down to poor execution, not poor management or tactics. Last season we lost at Chelsea, Newcastle and Fulham (where we were shocking) and at home to Liverpool (where we were worse than shocking). The problem is that these games have all come at once and at a time when a new manager and squad are trying to gel. The lynch mob appears to have already reached it''s vedict, though, so probably no pointn in appealing to peoples more rational sides.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I''m mystified by the perception that we''re not "going for it". If Hughton wanted to play for a point at Newcastle or Chelsea why did he start Wes? Failure to get a win doesn''t equate to not trying to get one.

Against QPR, West Ham and Spurs we created enough chances to win and the fact that we didn''t is down to poor execution, not poor management or tactics. Last season we lost at Chelsea, Newcastle and Fulham (where we were shocking) and at home to Liverpool (where we were worse than shocking). The problem is that these games have all come at once and at a time when a new manager and squad are trying to gel. The lynch mob appears to have already reached it''s vedict, though, so probably no pointn in appealing to peoples more rational sides.

[/quote]

How long before somebody starts a petition or something..

Remember where we came from!!!

Brilliant[:D][Y]

I remember when we beat Bayern Munich in The Olympic Stadium 2-1.  You lot need to remember where we came from![:@]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

My perception that we''re not going for it isn''t from the formation or team selection.  At Chelsea we just didn''t have any conviction going forward, all too often Wes was left with the ball deep in their half with very little support.  Last year when we were going for it, we''d flood players forwards and it let us create goals, not now.  This year, I never felt the players had any belief they could get anything from the game when they came out for the second half.

Last year at Fulham was the perfect example.  We gave away a couple of poor goals in the first half, but in the second we really went at them and had lots of sustained pressure.  OK we didn''t create many chances, but even with Aaron Wilbraham up front we were able to get a goal.  Overall last year at Fulham it was a disappointing performance and result, but nothing like this year''s shocker where we went from bad to worse.  I was hoping after the Spurs game that Fulham this year was a season-opening blip, but unfortunately it''s not looking that way.

I desperately hope Hughton can turn this around, but like it or not, the way we''re performing this season gives lots of cause for concern.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

My perception that we''re not going for it isn''t from the formation or team selection.  At Chelsea we just didn''t have any conviction going forward, all too often Wes was left with the ball deep in their half with very little support.  Last year when we were going for it, we''d flood players forwards and it let us create goals, not now.  This year, I never felt the players had any belief they could get anything from the game when they came out for the second half.

Last year at Fulham was the perfect example.  We gave away a couple of poor goals in the first half, but in the second we really went at them and had lots of sustained pressure.  OK we didn''t create many chances, but even with Aaron Wilbraham up front we were able to get a goal.  Overall last year at Fulham it was a disappointing performance and result, but nothing like this year''s shocker where we went from bad to worse.  I was hoping after the Spurs game that Fulham this year was a season-opening blip, but unfortunately it''s not looking that way.

I desperately hope Hughton can turn this around, but like it or not, the way we''re performing this season gives lots of cause for concern.

[/quote]

Our first half performance at Fulham last year was at least as bad as this year. Lambert''s 5 at the back system was a disaster and the second half fightback covered up a tactical disaster to some extent.

I accept what you''re saying, but what happened on Saturday was more to do with a world class midfield coming up against a willing but vastly inferior outfit. We couldn''t support Wes and Holty because we were FORCED deep. I spoke to a number of Chelsea fans after the game who complimented City on the fact that they didn''t park the bus and gave it a go, but how much longer do you think that the tactic of throwing men forward with abandon would have worked had Lambert stayed? I suspect not very long (in fact we were already seeing it at the end of last season, for example in the abject failure at Blackburn) and we would have needed a Plan B. That, I would suggest, is why Lambert fiddled obsessively with formations in the latter part of the season.

Well it''s a fair point whether our more swashbuckling style from last year would still work this year. I do feel generally that prem teams, all the way to the top, are better going forward and look vulnerable in defence. Sure we lost a few by going for it last year but we won/ drew more. Maybe a more conservative and measured approach is needed - but there is only a limited time for the manager to get it working. As someone else pointed out, so far the more conservative approach has leaked goals.

The concern for me is that so far in 3 out of 7 games we''ve really been brushed aside by the opposition over 90 minutes. Which is getting close to the number of times that happened over the entire season last year.

So can Hughton turn it around ? Really hope so but I think we have to be realistic about the problems facing us.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]Well it''s a fair point whether our more swashbuckling style from last year would still work this year. I do feel generally that prem teams, all the way to the top, are better going forward and look vulnerable in defence. Sure we lost a few by going for it last year but we won/ drew more. Maybe a more conservative and measured approach is needed - but there is only a limited time for the manager to get it working. As someone else pointed out, so far the more conservative approach has leaked goals. The concern for me is that so far in 3 out of 7 games we''ve really been brushed aside by the opposition over 90 minutes. Which is getting close to the number of times that happened over the entire season last year. So can Hughton turn it around ? Really hope so but I think we have to be realistic about the problems facing us.[/quote]

I don''t disagree with any of that,other than to say that we were brushed aside rather more than three times last season.Both Man City games,Liverpool at home,Blackburn,Fulham and Stoke away immediately spring to mind.

I certainly agree that we can''t go on losing and the next six weeks will be pivotal, although I believe that Hughton will turn it around.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]Well it''s a fair point whether our more swashbuckling style from last year would still work this year. I do feel generally that prem teams, all the way to the top, are better going forward and look vulnerable in defence. Sure we lost a few by going for it last year but we won/ drew more. Maybe a more conservative and measured approach is needed - but there is only a limited time for the manager to get it working. As someone else pointed out, so far the more conservative approach has leaked goals. The concern for me is that so far in 3 out of 7 games we''ve really been brushed aside by the opposition over 90 minutes. Which is getting close to the number of times that happened over the entire season last year. So can Hughton turn it around ? Really hope so but I think we have to be realistic about the problems facing us.[/quote]

I don''t disagree with any of that,other than to say that we were brushed aside rather more than three times last season.Both Man City games,Liverpool at home,Blackburn,Fulham and Stoke away immediately spring to mind.

I certainly agree that we can''t go on losing and the next six weeks will be pivotal, although I believe that Hughton will turn it around.

[/quote]

I think that''s where I''d disagree. I wouldn''t count a 1-0 defeat at Stoke in a narrow game decided by a rare piece of quality as being "brushed aside". Ditto Fulham away last season = disappointing defeat but a game we could''ve got something out of - whereas this season = brushed aside. Man city away - we were competitive for about 80 mins, Chelsea this year it was all over before the end of the first half .

The best I think we can say about Saturday is that it wasn''t as bad as the Liverpool game. Vs arsenal, the result doesnt matter but the performance and attitude do. , then we have some big games coming up. The next 5-6 games are vital if we''re not going to get stuck with the struggling canaries tag

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"]

[quote user="nulli secundus"]I loved it in League One, winning nearly every week.....
[/quote]

Don''t forget how great it was to play football where opposition teams were supported by real supporters not plastic pranw sarnie eaters there for the kudos.

[/quote]

I agree D.T.M. 15

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I remember when we beat Bayern Munich in The Olympic Stadium 2-1.  You lot need to remember where we came from![:@]

[/quote]

Led by ......wait for it.........Bob Chase!

[/quote]

Not Big Bad Bob! lol

Oops that was Bob Newman...

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have I broken the rules on this remember where we came from game? 

How far back can you go?

Is it up to a maximum of 3 years?

Is it (as I suspect) a fixed point in time, our lowest point in half a century at the bottom of League One?

I wonder if I''ll get disqualified for going back to our highest point, which coincidentally did indeed come under the stewardship of Robert Chase?

[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How far back can you go?

Is it (as I suspect) a fixed point in time, our lowest point in half a century at the bottom of League One?

I wonder if I''ll get disqualified for going back to our highest point, which coincidentally did indeed come under the stewardship of Robert Chase?

[/quote]

Well I guess where we came from depends on how far back we remember. For me it was mid-table Division Two with Lol Morgan, Zigger Zagger Watling and cushions with sharp corners. I don''t remember being reborn in the early 90s.

Where did you come from ''Slim?

"Zigger Zagger Watling "

my recollection was -

"Tanker tanker tanker, Watling is a .............."

but maybe I was deaf, who knows

such afflictions can come and go

The first chant was zigger followed by tanker. I struggled to understand it but as kids we all copied it. But times don''t change just insults. And football fans have always vented their disappointment with ridiculous insults. I guess the zigger rhyme was seen as the worst insult back then even though it made no sense. But people will tell you it never happened. They will tell you it was all passing kids down the front and sharing Fox''s Glacier Mints in those days. They either have bad memories or more likely didn''t go.

It''s the singing I miss

First time I ever heard Allouette and the Magic Music man

too, too many (a thread that has been done to death though)

I was at that fixture and we were actually quite fortunate to win and subsequently lost to them in the league and cup. some of the players that turned out for us that day are still in our squad. Holt ,Hoolahan and Fox  and Chris and Russel Martin. We have come a long way and that brings with it fresh expectations that need to be managed. If this had been our first season in the premiership then the start  probably would have been easier to understand and take.The fact that we did well in season 1 last season and have added other decent players to the squad makes for the frustration. Too early to do a post mortem yet the season is young. Many to be fair would take 16th or 17th place following the disruption of the lambert departure etc. All we can hope for is still to be in with a realistic chance of survival come the new year. we still only need an average of just over a point a game to stay up and a couple of wins whenever and whereever they come can soon change the scoreboard. rember Wigan last season dont write anyone off yet including us

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How far back can you go?

[/quote]

Well I guess where we came from depends on how far back we remember. For me it was mid-table Division Two with Lol Morgan, Zigger Zagger Watling and cushions with sharp corners. I don''t remember being reborn in the early 90s.

Where did you come from ''Slim?

[/quote]

Oh, I didn''t realise it was a how far back can we remember game.

[:$]Silly me, I''d obviously wrongly assumed it was a ''remember where we came from'' game, whereby you pick the lowest point the club reached in recent history to try and show, as a comparison, that we are in fact do really well now, whilst ignoring everything else.  That is why I asked if I had broken the rules by going back to our highest point as one could also use that as a comparison to where we are now.

You have to admit though Nutty that it is a massive coincidence, beyond all probability, that so many people can only remember as far back as the bottom of League One. 

Funny that in''t it?[:^)]

The memory is a funny thing ''slim. Summers when we were kids were always sunny. Well except that time it rained and Aunty Mabel''s parlour got flooded. The further back we try to remember the more our memories are skewed by the most memorable events. But it doesn''t really matter because none of it is really relevant to now. We just think it is..