Sign in to follow this  
Striker

EDP 'Pink Un' - editorial howler

Page 2 today featured a picture of the player''s celebrating Holt''s goal . . . . from LAST season.  Sports journalists and editors are privileged to be in such positions, but today''s gaff was as far removed from Premier League professionalism as you can get.  Worthy of a printed apology, to acknowledge the scale of the such an error.  Embarrassing to say the least.

[quote user="Striker"]
Page 2 today featured a picture of the player''s celebrating Holt''s goal . . . . from LAST season.  Sports journalists and editors are privileged to be in such positions, but today''s gaff was as far removed from Premier League professionalism as you can get.  Worthy of a printed apology, to acknowledge the scale of the such an error.  Embarrassing to say the least.
[/quote]

But, unfortunately, far from an isolated incident.

They obviously didn''t pickover it properly...

it should have gone in the bin, man

Nigel Pickover talking at the Suffolk FA Dinner

You can take Nigel Pickover out of Scum HQ but you cannot Scum HQ out of Nigel Pickover no matter how much he protests he is a Tangerine.

the simple rural folk of suffolk are entertained by the countys best known ''invisible accordian'' player

Not really. It does start off by saying this....

Grant Holt certainly likes his trips to this part of London. Last season at Stamford Bridge he opened his Premier League goal account with a hooked finish back over his head to draw City level.

theres a look of Bryan Gunn about Mr Pickover in that picture above....don’t go signing any Aussie Journalists whatever you do!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]theres a look of Bryan Gunn about Mr Pickover in that picture above....

[/quote]

That explains another howler over 16 years ago. April 14th 1996 it wasn''t Gunny at all. It was Pickover who drugged him and took his place in goal allowing that Ullathorne back pass to bobble it''s way into the net[:|]

Gunny is innocent[<:o)]

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Not really. It does start off by saying this.... Grant Holt certainly likes his trips to this part of London. Last season at Stamford Bridge he opened his Premier League goal account with a hooked finish back over his head to draw City level.[/quote]

That does entail reading the article Wings of a Sparrow and where would be the fun in that? The OP would clearly have nothing to grouse about then.

[quote user="City1st"]

the simple rural folk of suffolk are entertained by the countys best known ''invisible accordian'' player

[/quote]On this occasion City 1st (aka Binfinder general) you are misguided.  I''m City to the core - it just makes me cringe to see poor journalism.  You''d never see that in a national rag.

[quote user="Striker"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]On this occasion City 1st (aka Binfinder general) you are misguided.  I''m City to the core - it just makes me cringe to see poor journalism.  You''d never see that in a national rag.[/quote]

How would that explain the BBC putting up a team caption with Mr Lambert as our Manager on MOTD on Saturday? Shoddy journalism is everywhere I''m afraid.

Never trust a word you hear or anything you read!

RP

"On this occasion City 1st (aka Binfinder general) you are misguided"

I hardly think that posting an amusing (?) caption to Til''s photo can be judged as misguided

and as others have said these type of errors are becoming all too common now, so it''s no great fuss

oh dear, poor dimwitted binboy

you posted this up as reded

then changed your name to osborne 1-0

what next,  Evans I-O-U ?

[quote user="Miss Jane Marple"]My dear Striker, are you saying a national newspaper would never print anything that was incorrect?[/quote]I think some people are missing the point here.  Yes, shoddy journalism is not uncommon, but there''s huge difference between incorrect/untrue facts within the text of an article, and actually publishing a 4" square photo that''s 12-months out of date from the game being reviewed !!  It really is in a different league.  Please don''t tell me anyone has ever seen that in a national.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Try reading the article....[/quote]Nothing contained in the article can justify the inclusion of a photo from last season . . .

For someone who has barely put up one post a month over five years you do seem very agitated about this mistake

Why not contact the newspaper ?

or perhaps you are someone else and you don''t want the rest of us to know who you really are

who knows, apart from you ?

I can''t say that I am really bovvered Striker.

In these days, when you can google-up a live replay of the incident within half a minute, I''m hardly going to be concerned about a bit of journalistic license such as showing the wrong Grant Holt goal. It would have only warranted half a glance in the first place. Perhaps the photo-man forgot to put the film in last week .... oops, I mean that digital thing.

As a little boy my old man used to send me running upto the local newsagent, pence in hand, at sometime before 6pm each Saturday to join the queue waiting for the pink "PinkUn." When the man in the van turned up it was like the second coming. The newsagent prepared for his machine-gun like ten minutes of reducing the pile of pink to next to nothing. That paper was the weekly bible in our house and the old boy used to share it with me so that we each read a half and glowed over every word and every photograph in tandem. Then we swapped over.

Nowadays there are so many media outlets available that Holt''s misplacement is of no importance to me.