Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Don't blame the board

I''ve seen hints of suggestions that the Hughton situation stinks of Worthington, Rioch, etc. and that the board hired the wrong man. I agree they have the wrong man but how could any of us predict the disaster start we''ve had? Judge the board on whether or not they have the balls to stick or sack Hughton and whether or not it pays off.

But don''t they make the appointments, and don ''t they decide what we can, and cannot afford, and if that manager is going to have their backing........and if he isn''t.

Remember that this same board didn''t take too long to sack Bryan GUNN having given him a new contract at the very start of the season.........! What''s changed re Hughton, and we have far more to lose now? 17 goals conceded this season already..........!

What''s changed re: Hughton?

The circumstances are fairly different. Gunn was, if I remember rightly, not appointed whilst McNally and Bowkett were on board. As such, they went out and identified a better target, that we were reasonably able to get hold of (Lambert), sacked Gunn and got their man.

Hughton is their man. They appointed him at the start of this season as they had identified him to be the best man for the job. If Hughton was the best man for the job, why spend shed loads on sacking him so early into his spell, only to replace him with their number 2 choice?

Don''t blame the board, I would agree with, unless you want to blame them for not having enough money to bring in the level of player we needed, especially up front. However, I don''t hold that against them and until we''ve got mega rich owners, I will balance my opinion of the board on their performance relative to how much we can do with our budget.

Agree Aggy. Hughton is an experienced coach and manager and not everything he has done has been bad. We have been outclassed by Liverpool and Chelsea but many teams will be and other than the Fulham debacle we''ve been close to winning games.

Equally he HAS to start winning games. I thought the team looked remarkably spirited to begin with today but as soon as that third goal went in the fight went out of them. The longer we go without winning the more difficult it will be to pull the players confidence back up.

Statistically very few managers that follow a really successful predecessor go on to do well (I can only think of Paisley off the top of my head) and it may be that Hughton has had he odds against him from the start. I still think he needs more of a shot but there has to be a limit to our patience. In the Premier League you don''t have time to waste.

They appointed him based on his record, his reputation and within the context of managers who would be interested given the size of our club, the money we can pay, the money we have to spend on transfers.I still think the board were right that on paper he was the best man for the job.I have been deeply disappointed by our start, and I''m sure the board feel the same.Let''s see what happens.

The best thing about today - and despite the result there were good things - is we ae finally finding our shape going forward. Chelsea showed why they will run away with the league unless the two Manchester clubs pull their finger out.

You appear to think that

Hughton is the wrong man for the manager post.

Morison is the right man for principal striker position

Turner is the right man for a central defender position

Would you agree with this summary?

OTBC

Maybe we should do it old school.

Its Gary Doherty, its all his fault. Maybe Andy Hughes as well, we can give him some of the blame.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

It''s George  Bush''s fault.

[/quote]

GB is soooooo yesterday Yankee is it not Mitt Romney these days according to our very own US correspondent ?[:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

GB is soooooo yesterday Yankee is it not Mitt Romney these days according to our very own US correspondent ?[:P]

[/quote]As far as I can tell, MItt Romney seems to think it''s the poor''s fault that they are poor.  Which is charmingly Dickensian.  When he gets elected, I imagine he will be good chums with Cameron.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]They appointed him based on his record, his reputation and within the context of managers who would be interested given the size of our club, the money we can pay, the money we have to spend on transfers.

I still think the board were right that on paper he was the best man for the job.

I have been deeply disappointed by our start, and I''m sure the board feel the same.

Let''s see what happens.

[/quote]

Exactly how i feel at this moment in time Mr.C.[Y] I so want Hughton to be a success but nagging doubts are creeping into the back of my mind and coupled with this Lambert fiasco i sincerely hope this all bottoms out very soon and the club can dust itself down and move forward before we have factions splitting the fans.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]They appointed him based on his record, his reputation and within the context of managers who would be interested given the size of our club, the money we can pay, the money we have to spend on transfers.

I still think the board were right that on paper he was the best man for the job.

I have been deeply disappointed by our start, and I''m sure the board feel the same.

Let''s see what happens.

[/quote]

Exactly how i feel at this moment in time Mr.C.[Y] I so want Hughton to be a success but nagging doubts are creeping into the back of my mind and coupled with this Lambert fiasco i sincerely hope this all bottoms out very soon and the club can dust itself down and move forward before we have factions splitting the fans.

[/quote]

Oh damn it! I''m agreeing with Til now, so I suppose I''ll have to give him a huzzah now.[;)]

Huzzah! [Y]

[quote user="Wiz"]

Oh damn it! I''m agreeing with Til now, so I suppose I''ll have to give him a huzzah now.[;)]

Huzzah! [Y]

[/quote]

I hope Bly does not see this Wiz because you have just become one of the Inner Circle.[:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Precisely Mr. Tilson but, unfortuntately for the European "lovers" of Mr. Obama, our current President has not yet received that message. It may cost him. We, who have to be subject to the policies of this misguided government, can only live in hope. So far, so good.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]nagging doubts are creeping into the back of my mind[/quote]It''s not good getting stuff under your helmet! [:O]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="TIL 1010"]nagging doubts are creeping into the back of my mind[/quote]

It''s not good getting stuff under your helmet! [:O]
[/quote]

Unlike you i cannot lick my helmet clean.[;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="TIL 1010"]nagging doubts are creeping into the back of my mind[/quote]

It''s not good getting stuff under your helmet! [:O]
[/quote]

You mean he never qualified for a cap?

Oh dear.

OTBC

I''m sure some were panicking at the start of last season with us giving away about 15 penalties in 3 games or something stupid.  Look lets get this in perspective.  We''re not about to win our next game either against Arsenal, so everyone needs to put their negatitivity on a backburner.  Our season starts with the Villa game and then the month of November.  If were still in the mire after November I''ll be panicking also and look to the board and the current management for solutions. 

But some positives can be taken from the QPR, WHU and Spurs games.  Newcastle wasnt too bad either.  Fulham was not good.  What did Liverpool do to us at home last season?  0-3, this year it was 2-5, same difference.  Chelsea beat us 3-1 last year, when they were poor.  This year as European Champions and top of the table it was 4-1.

Im not overly disappointed, as I''m a realist.  In fact Im seeing the green shots.  Holt has now scored in two games running, so hes coming into form at the right time.  Some of you were saying he wasnt up to it just two weeks ago.  Defense needs tightening, but hopeful Bassong can get going again and bring that stability that was being crowed about just two weeks ago also.  You all need to get a grip and get behind the team.

[quote user="The Yellow Pimpernel"]

I''m not overly disappointed, as I''m a realist.  In fact Im seeing the green shots.  Holt has now scored in two games running, so hes coming into form at the right time.  Some of you were saying he wasnt up to it just two weeks ago.  Defense needs tightening, but hopeful Bassong can get going again and bring that stability that was being crowed about just two weeks ago also.  You all need to get a grip and get behind the team.

[/quote]

It could just be that the oil is going to your head.

[quote user="The Yellow Pimpernel"]

I''m sure some were panicking at the start of last season with us giving away about 15 penalties in 3 games or something stupid.  Look lets get this in perspective.  We''re not about to win our next game either against Arsenal, so everyone needs to put their negatitivity on a backburner.  Our season starts with the Villa game and then the month of November.  If were still in the mire after November I''ll be panicking also and look to the board and the current management for solutions. 

But some positives can be taken from the QPR, WHU and Spurs games.  Newcastle wasnt too bad either.  Fulham was not good.  What did Liverpool do to us at home last season?  0-3, this year it was 2-5, same difference.  Chelsea beat us 3-1 last year, when they were poor.  This year as European Champions and top of the table it was 4-1.

Im not overly disappointed, as I''m a realist.  In fact Im seeing the green shots.  Holt has now scored in two games running, so hes coming into form at the right time.  Some of you were saying he wasnt up to it just two weeks ago.  Defense needs tightening, but hopeful Bassong can get going again and bring that stability that was being crowed about just two weeks ago also.  You all need to get a grip and get behind the team.

[/quote]

To me this is characteristic of the dangerous happy-clapper mindset. Did we ever admit before a game when Lambert was in charge that we would never stand a chance of winning ?  Every game has the potential to be won. Let''s be positive and have Hughton set up a team with potential to win !!!!! Defeatism will get us relegated.

Paul were not likely to win against Aarsenal at the Emirates.  They are on good from, we are not.  I''d be more than happy with a draw, and I''d clap like hell if we do if thats OK with you?  This is not defeatism, this is being a realist.  We need to make sure we get the results we need from Villa game onward through November or we will be big trouble. 

I understand what your saying about putting out a team to win, and I trust he will now put out our best team with Holt and Hoolahan up front, Pilks and Bennett on the wings, Fox and Tetty central midfield and the same back four/ five as last game, even though theyve shipped 9 goals.  I dont know if this a winning team, I hope it is, and maybe its better than the team thats played the last couple of games.  But this is just my opinion, and we all like to think we know best dont we?

However, what you''ve also got to look at to see where I''m coming from is the league. Luckily the teams around us havent exactly left us behind after 7 games.  I''m extremly relieved by this, otherwise I may have been having hissy fits like others on this board, wanting the manager changed, Holt dropped, Holt back, new strikers, new defenders weeks after saying the defence looked so much better this year than last, Snoddy in, Snoddy out, Messi in, Ronaldo out.  Everyones entitled to their opinion, and my personal opinion is to give it a little more time and see if we can get back to the form we had at Spurs and the optimism we were all feeling after that game.

Basically I''m going to be patient enough to give it a reasonable amount of time before jumping to conclusions, and demanding changes.  To me this period is end of November, and If we are still struggling then I will definetly have a more vocal, though hopefully balanced view of what needs to be done, but as I say I''m happy to wait a little longer for the manager to get it right. 

Just out of interest I wanted Gus Poyet, not Chris Hughton, but I''m still going to back him for the forseeable future and I really hope he goes onto be a big big sucess at our club for years to come. 

I get confused with threads like this? do people expect us to be beating Chelsea and Liverpool? yes there have been some poor results (Fulham the main one) but dont forget these teams have spent to improve same as Norwich, there can only be one winner in a game... the wins will come and hopefully we are better than a bottom 3 place.

THIS is what premiership football is for the majority of teams in the league (outside the top 6) - its not Football Manager where you improve each season and the other teams stand still. Sorry!

OTBC!

why do people say do we expect to beat Liverpool and chelsea? why shouldnt we beat them? instead we go out with a manager having bigged them up so much its unreal!! it would be nice to have a go at them rather than just rolling over and not giving it a go!!

not saying my view is correct but teams like chelsea spend millions and millions on players so should beat teams like Norwich (sadly) otherwise it makes a mockery of the money spent on players and facilities... im just kinda saying its how the game should be at the moment but hopefully we will start getting some luck :)

[quote user="Aggy"]What''s changed re: Hughton? The circumstances are fairly different. Gunn was, if I remember rightly, not appointed whilst McNally and Bowkett were on board. As such, they went out and identified a better target, that we were reasonably able to get hold of (Lambert), sacked Gunn and got their man. Hughton is their man. They appointed him at the start of this season as they had identified him to be the best man for the job. If Hughton was the best man for the job, why spend shed loads on sacking him so early into his spell, only to replace him with their number 2 choice? Don''t blame the board, I would agree with, unless you want to blame them for not having enough money to bring in the level of player we needed, especially up front. However, I don''t hold that against them and until we''ve got mega rich owners, I will balance my opinion of the board on their performance relative to how much we can do with our budget.[/quote]

Yes, I DO blame them for not having the money to bring in the level of players required. We are not in League One now, we ought to now have the mega rich owners who can compete with the other mega rich owners in the Premier League - so we can hire the required calibre of player. We have entirely the wrong strategy at Board level. We have a League One Board trying to compete in the Premier League. Lambert covered up this deficiency whilst he was here - but in normal circumstances this strategy will not work, especially over time. If we want to be Premier League long term then we need someone like Sol Kerzner at the top. People shouldn''t even be sitting on the board of a football club UNLESS they have oodles of cash. What is the point of Stephen Fry? The reason we were given for his appointment was his Twitter account. Excuse me for asking, but how does a Twitter account bring billions of pounds to Norwich City Football Club? The underlying problem is that Delia will not give up control over her doll''s house and for that reason we will go back to being mid-table Championship, but hey, is she bothered? No, because Lambert''s efforts have ensured we go back there debt-free.

[quote user="Big Vince"]Yes, I DO blame them for not having the money to bring in the level of players required. We are not in League One now, we ought to now have the mega rich owners who can compete with the other mega rich owners in the Premier League - so we can hire the required calibre of player. We have entirely the wrong strategy at Board level. We have a League One Board trying to compete in the Premier League. Lambert covered up this deficiency whilst he was here - but in normal circumstances this strategy will not work, especially over time. If we want to be Premier League long term then we need someone like Sol Kerzner at the top. People shouldn''t even be sitting on the board of a football club UNLESS they have oodles of cash. What is the point of Stephen Fry? The reason we were given for his appointment was his Twitter account. Excuse me for asking, but how does a Twitter account bring billions of pounds to Norwich City Football Club? The underlying problem is that Delia will not give up control over her doll''s house and for that reason we will go back to being mid-table Championship, but hey, is she bothered? No, because Lambert''s efforts have ensured we go back there debt-free.[/quote]Blimey Vinnie, you must have really hated Chase then! Delia has only ever put money in, but Old Bob took it out. We must thank the Lord he''s not still in charge.

[quote user="Big Vince"]

[quote user="Aggy"]What''s changed re: Hughton? The circumstances are fairly different. Gunn was, if I remember rightly, not appointed whilst McNally and Bowkett were on board. As such, they went out and identified a better target, that we were reasonably able to get hold of (Lambert), sacked Gunn and got their man. Hughton is their man. They appointed him at the start of this season as they had identified him to be the best man for the job. If Hughton was the best man for the job, why spend shed loads on sacking him so early into his spell, only to replace him with their number 2 choice? Don''t blame the board, I would agree with, unless you want to blame them for not having enough money to bring in the level of player we needed, especially up front. However, I don''t hold that against them and until we''ve got mega rich owners, I will balance my opinion of the board on their performance relative to how much we can do with our budget.[/quote]

Yes, I DO blame them for not having the money to bring in the level of players required. We are not in League One now, we ought to now have the mega rich owners who can compete with the other mega rich owners in the Premier League - so we can hire the required calibre of player. We have entirely the wrong strategy at Board level. We have a League One Board trying to compete in the Premier League. Lambert covered up this deficiency whilst he was here - but in normal circumstances this strategy will not work, especially over time. If we want to be Premier League long term then we need someone like Sol Kerzner at the top. People shouldn''t even be sitting on the board of a football club UNLESS they have oodles of cash. What is the point of Stephen Fry? The reason we were given for his appointment was his Twitter account. Excuse me for asking, but how does a Twitter account bring billions of pounds to Norwich City Football Club? The underlying problem is that Delia will not give up control over her doll''s house and for that reason we will go back to being mid-table Championship, but hey, is she bothered? No, because Lambert''s efforts have ensured we go back there debt-free.

[/quote]

Ferking Huzzah with knobs on! [Y]

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Big Vince"]

[/quote]

Ferking Huzzah with knobs on! [Y]

[/quote]

Knobs....yeah, you and Big Vince.

Pair of Binning trolls.

[quote user="Big Vince"]

[/quote]

[8]Are you watchin'', Are you watchin'', Are you watchin'' Ricardo[8]