if you listen to him recount it, he always tell you that he was the

honest party. My gut feeling is that McNally has ballsed it up, he''s got

right in Lambert''s face about talking to Villa and made his position

untenable. McNally should have just let him speak to them, I know it''s

easier with the benefit of hindsight but if players or coaches don''t

want to be somewhere they will leave, that''s normal, I wouldn''t have

held it against the board if they had allowed Paul to talk to Aston

Villa, he may well have turned it down."
It *might* have happened like that, but that wouldn''t be unfair dismissal. Especially as Bowkett has said the club were given 3 hours to respond to Lambert''s request to talk to Villa.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]

"Lambert has a previous of leaving clubs as both player and manager but if you listen to him recount it, he always tell you that he was the honest party. My gut feeling is that McNally has ballsed it up, he''s got right in Lambert''s face about talking to Villa and made his position untenable. McNally should have just let him speak to them, I know it''s easier with the benefit of hindsight but if players or coaches don''t want to be somewhere they will leave, that''s normal, I wouldn''t have held it against the board if they had allowed Paul to talk to Aston Villa, he may well have turned it down."

It *might* have happened like that, but that wouldn''t be unfair dismissal. Especially as Bowkett has said the club were given 3 hours to respond to Lambert''s request to talk to Villa.
[/quote]

No respect for the greedy man now, he knows things are tight here and yet he does this.

Words fail me.

I''m not a Hughton supporter, you all know this, but by God I''ll now back off him and give him a fair chance after this behaviour.

I respect him as a manager and for what he did for us over the course of three seasons. As a man i think he has no integrity whatsoevere and will, it appears, stop at nothing to get to the top of the tree. We have mainly benefitted from that but if he is trying to get anything from us in financial terms then i''m afriad that just shows him to have no class whatsoever. He''s got a good, well paid job. Why can he not just walk away and leave us and Villa to argue over whether compensation was due?

[quote user="w1seguy"][quote user="Empty Mirror"]So you know what happened, do you? All that''s in the public domain (thanks to Mr Bowkett) is that Lambert has claimed unfair dismissal. That''s a specific claim in law, with a cap on compensation of £72,300 so he simply can''t be claiming £2,000,000 by that route. But if he''s claiming unfair dismissal then it follows that his position is that he didn''t want to leave but was either sacked or forced out. IF it were true that the most successful manager we''ve had in over a decade wanted to stay but was either dismissed or forced out then the person I''d be angry with wouldn''t be him, it would be the person who dismissed or forced him out. At this time the full story isn''t in the public domain. We know odd snippets; the fact that we''ve had compensation for Culverhouse and Carva, but not for Lambert. The fact that Hughton was in post quickly. The fact that something happened to unsettle Lambert''s captain. But I''m reserving judgement until the full story comes out. Which it will, eventually.[/quote]

The most sensible post on here! Something has not added up about it all from the start. Some of the quotes from Lambert when he left clearly pointed to a falling out between individuals. The fact that he was happy to operate with our transfer funds. We''ve all painted him as a mercenary but if he really doesn''t care then why would he come back for a fight? This all points to a man that has been wronged in some way.

I too would reserve my anger for the person who has ousted one of most successful managers ever...
[/quote]

Yep, like the cut of Empty Mirror''s jib. There remains so much more to this than meets the eye. The first thing that came to mind to me when all this happened is that the very best thing the club could have done when Villa made their approach would have been to call Lambert in and say yes, we give you permission to speak to them, *however*, we would like you to stay here and, when you have spoken to them, please come back here and listen to what we have to say and offer.

He goes to Villa with no rancour in our end and has has a choice-and might, with that support in mind, choose to stay here.

However, that is countered by the supposed fact that he had been courted/had been courting new possibilities before Villa came along. Burnley we all know about, there was West Ham last Summer. I wouldn''t be surprised if there had been others, Forest was another one mentioned at one time. So perhaps the club had had enough-he won''t commit, we needed continuity and the stability that went with it and we just weren''t getting it-every time a job became available he''d be mentioned in dispatches, it was unsettling each and every time that happened.

So did someone, somewhere, in a moment of madness over-react when it all started all over again-the speculation started pre-Villa on the last day and both sets of fans were chanting his name during that game. Has that ever happened in top flight football before, a game is played and there is this real and genuine feeling that the manager is on his way to the opposition? It made for a weird atmosphere all round, it was like a friendly-Villa weren''t bothered and we almost won accidentally.

I guess, sooner or later, people were going to get fed up with all the speculation and that Villa game pushed it all ever closer to the edge.

And with Hughton feeling like a Manager in waiting almost as soon as there was a vacancy here-like he was the only candidate and maybe had been for some time. Mind you, it felt as if Lambert was as well when Gunny left.

A lot more has to come out here before I can truly pick sides* or come to conclusions one way or the other. I''d like to think he wanted to stay and was forced out-but the inclination seems that he had been looking to the future a while before Villa happened and it all came to a sudden and explosive head. Time will tell.

*The real shame is that it remains a talking point and is distracting from the players, the new Manager and the season we are now in-and that I am still writing about it when I''d rather not, indeed, we would all, probably, rather not. And then there is the possibility that, come November/December and we are genuinely struggling....well.... the wheel turns again. And I do wonder if the man whose shadow might ultimately see Hughton''s time here not being a success is the success of one sho preceded him-but for all the wrong reasons. As yesterday''s meeting showed, Paul Lambert still hasn''t left the club and we are suffering for it. I feel for Hughton and hope he can come through it and Norwich can be HIS club, not the club that USED to be Paul Lambert''s.

But heres a funny thought if he was to come back to the club how many of you lot will be sprouting you''d never lost faith in him and always admired and respected  the man. Majority of people or supporters of a football team are fickle.

Exactly what Bowkett and McNally intended by revealing it last night, Wiz.

[You''re right to get off Hughton''s back, by the way. But you''re doing it for the wrong reasons]

Man, some of you people are easily manipulated. NCFC is suing Lambert for breach of contract. He''s launched a counter-suit. Exactly what you''d expect in this situation.

Bowkett and McNally - wisely - are using it to take the heat off Hughton.

For me it has not changed my view of Lambert one iota. Great manager, transformed our club. Very disappointed he left, but that''s his prerogative. Wish him well at Villa (relegation rivalry aside). Would definitely clap him.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Man, some of you people are easily manipulated. NCFC is suing Lambert for breach of contract. He''s launched a counter-suit. Exactly what you''d expect in this situation.

Bowkett and McNally - wisely - are using it to take the heat off Hughton.

For me it has not changed my view of Lambert one iota. Great manager, transformed our club. Very disappointed he left, but that''s his prerogative. Wish him well at Villa (relegation rivalry aside). Would definitely clap him.[/quote]So the way he left didn''t leave you with a sour taste?Appearing on Sky Sports praising the club and the fans to high heaven, then literally a day or two after leaving the club. Without any real explanation, and carrying on as if the last 3 years hadn''t happened?It really didn''t need to happen that way, we all knew Paul was ambitious, and would leave us one day, I assumed it would have been in a slightly more dignified manner.

cut the mirror - is it an unfair dismissal jobbo, or breach of contract? Different things.

[quote user="Aggy"]*Empty mirror! Not sure where I''ve got cut the mirror from...[/quote]

White lines,blowing through your mind?[:D]

Take your point, Morty, but no, not really.

Lambert''s history didn''t suggest he''d leave us in a dignified manner. He''s not a dignified man. He''s a ruthless bastard and that''s exactly why he was so great for us for three years.

I imagine we''ll get the explanation at some point. I suspect it will be as simple as ''I wanted to manage a big club''. But you can''t say that while you''re in post, or indeed after it if you don''t want to get sued.

Carrying on as if the last three years hadn''t happened? Well, that''s the supporters'' view. For Lambert it was a job, just as Colchester was a job and just as Villa is a job, to be done until Ferguson retires.

I was gutted when he left, of course I was. If I''m honest, I thought then and think now that we''ll get relegated as a result. But I can''t find a reason to resent Lambert for it. I understand why others do, but I really don''t think he owed us anything.

Oh, and to be fair I live several thousand miles from Carrow Road. Easier to be calmer at that distance. And impossible to watch Sky Sports News, which certainly makes for a better life.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Take your point, Morty, but no, not really.

Lambert''s history didn''t suggest he''d leave us in a dignified manner. He''s not a dignified man. He''s a ruthless bastard and that''s exactly why he was so great for us for three years.

I imagine we''ll get the explanation at some point. I suspect it will be as simple as ''I wanted to manage a big club''. But you can''t say that while you''re in post, or indeed after it if you don''t want to get sued.

Carrying on as if the last three years hadn''t happened? Well, that''s the supporters'' view. For Lambert it was a job, just as Colchester was a job and just as Villa is a job, to be done until Ferguson retires.

I was gutted when he left, of course I was. If I''m honest, I thought then and think now that we''ll get relegated as a result. But I can''t find a reason to resent Lambert for it. I understand why others do, but I really don''t think he owed us anything.[/quote]For me all it would have taken was an interview on local TV, or in the local press, just a small explanation as to his reasons, a metaphorical cuddle.I don''t think he owed us anything either, but it wouldn''t have cost him anything to show a bit of dignity and leave with his head held high, instead of skulking away, under a cloud.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Take your point, Morty, but no, not really.

I was gutted when he left, of course I was. If I''m honest, I thought then and think now that we''ll get relegated as a result. But I can''t find a reason to resent Lambert for it. I understand why others do, but I really don''t think he owed us anything.[/quote]

Good post - fully agree.

Lambert is a ruthless man beyond doubt with a reported management style involving arrogant bullying which some people do not approve of, do not see it as commensurate with the othos of their club but accepted it as he IS a good manager who got results on the field of play, which he was hired for.   Who knows what personality conflicts went on behind the scenes that perhaps created an atmosphere of animosity?

If Lambert is judged to have acted in an undignified manner, would it not be as equally undignified to boo and jeer at him?   Would it not be better to demonstrate to him what dignity is? 

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

- Herbert Spencer

I remember Col U away after we stole Lambert from them, he and our players thrived on the abuse the home support were giving them, including Lambert deliberately coming out after everyone else to the dugout.

I''d suggest those travelling to Villa (alas i''ll be working) sing songs supporting our current manager & players. Ignore Lambert, he''ll hate that far more than our supporters focusing all their efforts on him.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]So you know what happened, do you? All that''s in the public domain (thanks to Mr Bowkett) is that Lambert has claimed unfair dismissal. That''s a specific claim in law, with a cap on compensation of £72,300 so he simply can''t be claiming £2,000,000 by that route. But if he''s claiming unfair dismissal then it follows that his position is that he didn''t want to leave but was either sacked or forced out. IF it were true that the most successful manager we''ve had in over a decade wanted to stay but was either dismissed or forced out then the person I''d be angry with wouldn''t be him, it would be the person who dismissed or forced him out. At this time the full story isn''t in the public domain. We know odd snippets; the fact that we''ve had compensation for Culverhouse and Carva, but not for Lambert. The fact that Hughton was in post quickly. The fact that something happened to unsettle Lambert''s captain. But I''m reserving judgement until the full story comes out. Which it will, eventually.[/quote]

Well said. Why would Lambert take legal action against his former club if he didn''t think he had a fair chance of success. That would make no sense at all, and I don''t think he''s stupid. The plot thickens. If Lambert proves his case the NCFC board will have a lot of difficult questions to answer - it is going to be very interesting discovering exactly what went on in April/May.

I never had any intention of cheering or booing him but this latest revelation, or whatever you want to call it, has made my mind up, I hope we give them a bloody good hiding in both games!!

No, El Asesino it was the manner in which Judas left that caused all this, as somebody else said if he had left with dignity we wouldnt be at this point but he has caused this himself!!

I am. He done great things with us, all those last minute winners and the tearing apart the scum, whilst achieving back to back promotions. Let''s not be bitter....

"Feck me, we are a bunch of sensitive souls. This is (football) life, get over it and remember what did for this club."

I don''t think any of us is sensitive sparrow and, in the grand scheme of things, we have nothing to get over.

We somehow manage to carry on as normal.

It''s just that this happens to be a football forum dedicated to NCFC.  What prey are we supposed to discuss? Cheryl Cole''s left buttock, Big Sam''s hemerroids, the price of a pint? I fail to get your point.

The Lambert issue is very pertinent at the moment. I enjoy the varied imput.

Lambert may be doing this as he has legitimate claims.

He may be doing this as a distraction from the tribunal to be had vs Villa for compo.

He may just be doing it, as the case is with many businesses, ex employee, and any old tom-dick-and-harry do it now a days. Because a case can be made out of many situations where one may not think it, and when money comes in to play, so does courtroom.

it just so happens that I "googled" the last ''stupid'' ''person v person'' case I could remember, and it was ''man sues after breaking in to house''

http://www.eeew.net/weird-news-50.shtml

just so happened this took place in our beloved norfolk.