Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

How far into the season????

Now before people jump down my throat, even suggesting the notion of Hughton being sacked, I''m curious. Just how far into the season do we go without picking up some serious points? No wins yet, and there''s nothing in our play to suggest one is coming any time soon. With this season being highlighted as a must stay up season, due to the big cash deal coming at the end of this campaign. I just wonder how long a winless start would be tolerated. Football is a cut throat business, it doesn''t take long also to get cut adrift! What are people''s thoughts??

As long as it takes.   No point in getting worried about relegation at this stage.      If it takes half a season to get going its ok - as long as we do get going at some stage.   "Must wins" and "Must stay up" are just emotional targets, not realistic targets.   The only realistic target is to get the team to gel.   Once the team starts winning a few games we can be confident that things are on the up - however long it takes.

we''re one win from jumping up the table ffs.

and people seem to think that a manager can just be sacked and a new one can be found just like that.

fist compo must be payed to hughton

second, a BETTER manager must be found (who? the manager that got blackpool relegated? hah.)

then we must pay compo to said managers current club for taking him.

fourth the new manager has to come in and, with his new coaching staff, get used to the team, and the team get used to him and the way he wants them to play.

then they have to translate that into games

so yes, lets sack hughton now, or mid season. whatever the case may be. I personally think that we will be worse off unless we can pull a top manager here, and what top manager would leave their current club for one that doesn''t have a lot of money, doesn''t have a fantastic history, and has a fan base that turns on it''s manager after 7 games?

A lesson from here on the West Coast, another team that plays in yellow and green, and joint lowest payroll - so no established stars on this team.

Way out of contention to win their division half way thru the season, and then lost key players to injury - so all doom and gloom eh?

Nope, won more games than any other team in the second half of the season, win their division, and now this evening just came back from 3-1 down in the final inning of their playoff game to win 4-3...

Sound familiar ?

He deserves a decent run at this job. You also have to consider what the alternatives are. Personally I can''t see any out there. I will also point that Ian Holloway the choice of some on this board is currently sitting down in 8th position with Blackpool who have had an indifferent run.

I believe you will not see any action before the end of December, even if we fail to win a sinle game. But MacNally & Bowkett are no fools and they will not follow the Worthington saga in Doncasters''s days I''m sure.

They will have a plan B in place and will already be looking at options should they need to make changes. I don''t believe they will wait until the end of the season as I really don''t think this club wants to get relegated this year and they will do all they can to prevent that within reason.

I would not be supprised if by the end of December if things do not improve then we might see a younger hungry manager back in place, would not be supprised if it won''t be young Ferguson from Posh.

The real question should be how long before the fans decide they have had enough and put pressure on the board? I bet 5 more gamees without a win and things might start to get a bit uncomfrotable at Carrow Road. We can all accept losing to Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, not that we like it but accept it, but then Villa, Stoke and Reading are three games we need to at least pick up 5 points and not lose.

If we don''t pick up a win (preferably two) against Villla/Stoke/Reading then I will be seriously worried.

We SHOULD have already won three games. We were the better team and had more than enough good chances to beat QPR, West Ham and Spurs. A point at Newcastle would have probably been the fair result if both sides could take their chances (although perhaps Newcastle had more good chances anyway). But if we have not won a game after the next four, I can''t see how Hughton is the right man. You can''t go that long into the season without a win. The team will be really lacking confidence.

But I think we will pick up at least four points in those four games.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I don''t expect Hughton to be sacked even if we finish 20th.[/quote]Neither do I.He will likely be here next season even if we get relegated.

We have to keep our manager, simply because he needs time. I was at Fulham I know how poor we were, same for Liverpool, I also know we outplayed QPR, West Ham and ,some would say, Spurs, Chelsea was no worse than last season, I wish we had started with the hard games, because I think we would have easily won the two home drawn games, the fact that we now have the hard games on the back of two draws makes it seem worse.

Hughton was, and still is the best man for the job, the suggestion we should look at Darren Ferguson...........! It amazes me that many are prepared to allow Grant Holt all the time he needs to get up to speed but are not prepared to offer the same to the manager! We are not a knee jerk reaction sacking club (thankfully) Performances will improve, keep the faith!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]3 more games max, if we havent won by then he needs to go!
[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[/quote]

Let me ask you both this, if we had Mourinho in charge and results had been the same would you only allow him another 3 games to prove himself? Too much is made of reputation - I doubt people would have been jumping up and down giving Lambert 3 games to save his job if he was still here and the start had been the same. Give the man time...

[quote user="Brucie"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]3 more games max, if we havent won by then he needs to go!
[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[/quote]

Let me ask you both this, if we had Mourinho in charge and results had been the same would you only allow him another 3 games to prove himself? Too much is made of reputation - I doubt people would have been jumping up and down giving Lambert 3 games to save his job if he was still here and the start had been the same. Give the man time...

[/quote]

There''s that word again.............IF.

Sorry Brucie but Lambert earned the right to have a blip, CH hasn''t imo.

[quote user="Brucie"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[/quote]

[/quote]

10 games without a win would have been ample time for him to prove he isn''t up to the job.

Just one win!   That''s all - just one win.   Just one win will change things around.   Confidence and morale will lift and games that could''ve or should''ve been won will be won I''m sure.   Holt and Morison are on the score sheet, that''s one hurdle crossed.

Thoughts of replacing the manager at this stage will just be leaping from frying pan to fire and besides it isn''t necessary.   Patience, patience.   To win the war a few battles may be lost

The big thing for me is the Villa game. If we lose that and lose it badly, Hughton will struggle massively. He may not recover from that. 3 more games. If we don''t win any of them then I wouldn''t be too disappointed to see him leave.

I would also say to someone like Harry Redknapp, we will pay you handsomely until May to keep us up. Then we can look at the situation again in the summer. However, I think it''s highly unlikely HR would come here both in terms of the money we have to spend and the distance we are from where he lives.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]3 more games max, if we havent won by then he needs to go![/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[/quote]I see you been outed on Villa talk for the troll that you are.. embarrassing or what! The saddest thing is that if we manage a point vs Arsenal and/or Villa you''ll be on here praising Hughton from the rafters.. http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/7312-lamberts-row-with-norwich/

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]The big thing for me is the Villa game. If we lose that and lose it badly, Hughton will struggle massively. He may not recover from that. 3 more games. If we don''t win any of them then I wouldn''t be too disappointed to see him leave. [/quote]Because of what the Vile game means (for several reasons) we have to either win or draw. A loss is almost unacceptable.It''s not even really important because of our previous manager. It''s important because a) they are a relegation rival and b)it could kick start our  own season.We''re going to win it though so it''s ok [:)]

[quote user="Shankslad"]

Just one win!   That''s all - just one win.   Just one win will change things around.   Confidence and morale will lift and games that could''ve or should''ve been won will be won I''m sure.   Holt and Morison are on the score sheet, that''s one hurdle crossed.

Thoughts of replacing the manager at this stage will just be leaping from frying pan to fire and besides it isn''t necessary.   Patience, patience.   To win the war a few battles may be lost

[/quote]

That''s the worry really. One win could simply paper over the cracks until another long winless streak develops. One win won''t be enough to save his job if he can''t sustain a decent run of reasonable results coupled with good performances, selections and tactics.   

I just have this feeling about the Villa game. We are going to be so desperate to win that I fear we will leave ourselves open, leave gaps for them to run into. I think we will get well beaten that day unfortunately. Hope I''m wrong but can''t see us winning there at all.

Chris Hughton is not the only reason why we are destined for the relegation mix this season. Not him, his team, his tactics or his purchases.

We would likely be there under Lambert, Mourinho or Jesus H. himself.

Many, many factors contribute to our current lot, not least the fact that Abramovich landed at the wrong airport when he first came to England.

This is not being pessimistic or decrying our beloved club. It is stating the bloody obvious.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I just have this feeling about the Villa game. We are going to be so desperate to win that I fear we will leave ourselves open, leave gaps for them to run into.[/quote]Why are we going to be so desparate to win? It is just another three points no more or less important than any other game. I suspect that the players are not quite so despearate to put one over on Paul Lambert as some fans are. How many of them would have turned down a similar move? They will want to win because the team needs it but I doubt the emotional factors that so many are getting their knickers in a twist over on here are that important to them.