Sign in to follow this  
Crispy

I wish we had sold Grant Holt

I love Grant but trying to see the game from a neutral perspective I think a few million for Grant would have been better than keeping him. Don''t think he is ever going to have a better season than the one just gone.

It also would have forced our hand to splash big on a striker to keep us fans happy from losing our Captain. The games I have seen so far this season & early on in the last his touch really slows down our counter attacks. If he has the ball at his feet with a third of the pitch to run at all he will do is try & win a foul where most other strikers will try & turn the last man or thread someone a nice pass to set up a 1 v 1 on the keeper.

Just think we needed to freshen our frontline but we havn''t.

BUT I don''t think we will be relegated ... expecting a lot of 1 - 0''s at home hopefully starting with Liverpool :-)

OTBC

I understand Crispy''s feelings, but I just would''ve added to the front line or have kept the striker who scored in pre-season... We just are NOT good enough up front and already it has cost us at least 4 points, even 5 imo.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]I understand Crispy''s feelings, but I just would''ve added to the front line or have kept the striker who scored in pre-season... We just are NOT good enough up front and already it has cost us at least 4 points, even 5 imo.[/quote]

James Vaughan isn''t good enough, pre-season doesn''t count

I still think Holt will be our top scorer but probably less than last year. Morison i still remain to be convinced about and Jackson to me is still a decent championship striker. Snodgrass and Pilkington may get a few but as for the rest i am not sure unless Butterfield and Kane come up trumps. Still another 33 games to go and we need 12 wins  or thereabouts so still life and hope yet look at Wigan last season they lost 10 in a row and still survived

[quote user="Crispy"]I love Grant but trying to see the game from a neutral perspective I think a few million for Grant would have been better than keeping him. Don''t think he is ever going to have a better season than the one just gone. It also would have forced our hand to splash big on a striker to keep us fans happy from losing our Captain. The games I have seen so far this season & early on in the last his touch really slows down our counter attacks. If he has the ball at his feet with a third of the pitch to run at all he will do is try & win a foul where most other strikers will try & turn the last man or thread someone a nice pass to set up a 1 v 1 on the keeper. Just think we needed to freshen our frontline but we havn''t. BUT I don''t think we will be relegated ... expecting a lot of 1 - 0''s at home hopefully starting with Liverpool :-) OTBC[/quote]

so who''s our proven premier league goalscorer? who would you have brought in?

Absolutely not. Holt has been our best player for the last three years. It''s about improving the squad year-on-year. I would have had no objections to selling eg Morison or Jackson during the close season IF it was to make room for better quality players. But not our best player.

[quote user="Steady On..."]What a sensible thing to say,well done. You''ve just given up the right to celebrate in grant Holts successes.[/quote]
Yeah, that''s exactly how supporting a football club works; if you ever say anything slightly negative about a player, system, manager, board member of anything slightly related to  the club, then you ''give up the right'' to ever be happy when things go well.

[quote user="Aggy"][quote user="Steady On..."]What a sensible thing to say,well done. You''ve just given up the right to celebrate in grant Holts successes.[/quote]
Yeah, that''s exactly how supporting a football club works; if you ever say anything slightly negative about a player, system, manager, board member of anything slightly related to  the club, then you ''give up the right'' to ever be happy when things go well.
[/quote]

Should be, when things go good you''ll just hide the fact you were negative like a coward

Right now, i''m really worried about our lack of goals and strike force.

However, i don''t doubt Grant Holt - I think he will get MORE goals than last season when he gets going. Once he''s put into this corner he''s going to bounce back more determined than ever, thought he looked quite sharp yesterday.

We''ve got such a creative midfield going forward, and soon it''s all going to tick - We''re barely into the season yet!

Sold Morison yes, i would go for that. But not Holt, team would''ve collapsed without him... Losing one of our best talisman, strikers, club captain and manager at once? No thanks!

I would bet Big Sam was the most relieved man at Carrow Road the other Saturday , he dodged a very big and very expensive bullet there .

[quote user="Ncfc"]I would bet Big Sam was the most relieved man at Carrow Road the other Saturday , he dodged a very big and very expensive bullet there .[/quote]Big Sam''s not your concern.....Paul Jewell is though! [:|]

If Snoddy had taken his great chances he''d be on about 4 goals now and we''d have at least 2 wins. Surman has had at least 2 good chances too. Need the midfielders to chip in, especially if there''s 1 up top. Garrido seems to keep setting up great heading opportunties, but they keep falling to Snoddy and not Holt/Morison who are never there in the right place

[quote user="Steady On..."][quote user="Aggy"][quote user="Steady On..."]What a sensible thing to say,well done. You''ve just given up the right to celebrate in grant Holts successes.[/quote]
[/quote]

Should be, when things go good you''ll just hide the fact you were negative like a coward[/quote]
Not at all. I''m quite happy to say that I was one of those calling for "Worthington Out", I''m quite happy to say that I moaned about Doncaster and the rest of the board when we were relegated to League One. I''m also very happy to say that the board have turned it around, McNally has done a superb job, and that Lambert - and Hughton at the moment - had and have my full support.
Supporting doesn''t mean blind positivity, it''s perfectly reasonable to state when things are going wrong, and to discuss how we feel they could be sorted out. We don''t expect Hughton to listen to how we think they should be sorted out, but I''d rather discuss the negatives and how we can improve than sit here with every post saying "yay Norwich, we are so good!" and nothing more than that....

I''ll be the first to bump this post if I am wrong & Holt does play as well as or better than last season I just think a rejuvinated frontline made possible by Holt''s sale may have been better to start the season with.

Football is a cruel game & with Grant''s stock being so high in the summer I think we could of gambled on selling him & replacing him with a couple of younger strikers for the good of the clubs short term & long term future.

I watch a lot of football so have an opinion on things as does everyone else .... I support Norwich but I believe I am still entitled to have a view like the one I started this thread with. No harm in it.

[quote user="Crispy"]I''ll be the first to bump this post if I am wrong & Holt does play as well as or better than last season I just think a rejuvinated frontline made possible by Holt''s sale may have been better to start the season with.

Football is a cruel game & with Grant''s stock being so high in the summer I think we could of gambled on selling him & replacing him with a couple of younger strikers for the good of the clubs short term & long term future.

I watch a lot of football so have an opinion on things as does everyone else .... I support Norwich but I believe I am still entitled to have a view like the one I started this thread with. No harm in it.[/quote]

Noted, now screw off, your opinions are stupid.

" Noted, now screw off, your opinions are stupid. "

My opinion is open to debate just like everyone else''s. You wouldn''t get away with talking like that in real life so why speak like that in a forum ? Luckily not all posters are as rude as you.

I was always of the impression that we should keep him and given him an extended contract. If he didn''t see his way to the end of the contract, then boo hoo. He''s been our pivotal player for long enough to warrant at least that. We had nothing to lose from keeping him for longer, but everything to gain. Unfortunately, we''ve yet to gain. So I can see why this thread exists.
However... this thread is reactionary. You wish we had of sold Grant Holt NOW. Imagine, just for a second we''ve just finished last season again. Grant Holt is second highest English PL goal scorer. He''s helped keep our spot in the top flight. Then Hughton comes in and sells him to Aston Villa.
Yeah, I didn''t think so.

[quote user="Wiz"]If anyone can keep us up it''ll be Grant Holt, not Hughton, who gets more like Worthy with each passing day.[/quote]
Damn it Wiz, talking of reactionary! One moment you''re backing the guy, the next you''re worried he''s being more like Niiiiigggeeeeellllll. Come on man, I''m not asking you to bank on Hughton, but he hasn''t done much wrong at all to deserve you not backing him. Short of going onto the pitch and scoring the goals himself he can''t MAKE the strikers score. He isn''t a puppeteer.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Wiz, why oh why are you doing this? He is nothing like Worthy...[/quote]

Giving the subs too little time to have an effect, a loan striker, a defensive mindset is very Worthyesk GP.

A) Carrow Road - Norwich Vs Liverpool - Grant Holt comes on at 76'' having a sound effect in the region of none.
B) A loan striker is better than no striker being brought in. Given that it was a late deal, it seems it was the best we could do given that CMS seemingly fell through.
C) A defensive mindset was always going to be the way with Hughton in so much as he was a defender. But, that''s Bollo)ks because we go on some good attacks under Hughton. Again, he isn''t a puppeteer so he can''t score the goals for them.
But you already knew all that, Wiz.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"][quote user="Wiz"]If anyone can keep us up it''ll be Grant Holt, not Hughton, who gets more like Worthy with each passing day.[/quote]

Damn it Wiz, talking of reactionary! One moment you''re backing the guy, the next you''re worried he''s being more like Niiiiigggeeeeellllll. Come on man, I''m not asking you to bank on Hughton, but he hasn''t done much wrong at all to deserve you not backing him. Short of going onto the pitch and scoring the goals himself he can''t MAKE the strikers score. He isn''t a puppeteer.

[/quote]

He lost it with me at the Newcastle game Stig, standing alone in his little area he looked lost, unwilling to change the formation and selection he''d made, thats Worthy.

We needed pace, but again he was reluctant to change things, again so Worthy.

I didn''t want him here, I don''t want him here, not while Rednapp''s available.

I''m sure your sig said in Hughton I trust a few days ago.

Wiz, your boring. I''ve tried to understand you and defend you in the past, but this is just plastic, I''m sorry but I just don''t think I can bother to try and reason with you anymore, I already know what your going to say, and what you''ll say when you inevitably change your mind.

Christ alive man, Redknapp is not the answer. 
A) We can''t afford him because his ego won''t allow him to go to bonny Norwich
B) He''ll spend what money we do have with little regard for debt and security
C) He is so far from what Norwich needs it''s untrue
You''re dreaming mate.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''m sure your sig said in Hughton I trust a few days ago. Wiz, your boring. I''ve tried to understand you and defend you in the past, but this is just plastic, I''m sorry but I just don''t think I can bother to try and reason with you anymore, I already know what your going to say, and what you''ll say when you inevitably change your mind.[/quote]

Don''t patronise me with your defending me line, I''m well capable of doing that myself..and Hughton blew my trust in him, not I.

Watch him ''big up'' Liverpoool next, then remove your yellow and green blinkers and wake up.