Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Taking stock on rumours

So from the last couple of days we have been linked to a large handful of good players, where are we with all of them now?Dragovic - Looks like this was a false dawn and he''s going nowhereMargreitter - Set to join Wolves I believe so this one''s off the cardsTettey - Was in Norwich yesterday to look around (presumably the training ground), looks like it could be promisingN''Zonzi - Lots of links in the red tops, seems unlikely to me due to the other DM linksBiglia - Set to join according to Sky Sports although there is a chance possibly that now this is in the public domain Arenal may take action and swoop in on him last minuteAbdellaoue - A fair few mentions on Twitter linking him to us, could be who the scouts were watching in EuropeHooper - Reports that we have made an offer of £8m, have a feeling it''s unsubstantialVaughan - Having medical at Huddersfield today, unclear whether it''s a loan deal or permanentIf I was to guess who would actually come in I think Tettey and Biglia will sign with Vaughan going out. Would love to see us sign Abdellaoue but can''t see it happening personally.

Agree with all of this. Sensible summation of recent rumours/links. The Vaughan deal looks to be a season long loan rather than a permanent transfer.

Personally I think a new defensive minded midfielder will come in and a striker. No idea who but we don''t often sign players with whom we have been linked in the press.

Will we sign both Tettey and Biglia?? I think it must be one or the other. I would like to see another striker come in if Vaughan leaves and I think that this will happen. No idea who the striker might be and I don''t think that anyone knows; the club is good at keeping things private.

I should imagine that it spells the end for Korey Smith in terms of the first team picture. He will go on loan to the championship at least.

Vaughan is a loan.

A striker is a defenite - apparantly Hughton has said so in some interview according to my father in law.

Even if Vaughan stays I still think we need another striker.

[quote user="fried_chicken"]Will we sign both Tettey and Biglia?? I think it must be one or the other. I would like to see another striker come in if Vaughan leaves and I think that this will happen. No idea who the striker might be and I don''t think that anyone knows; the club is good at keeping things private.[/quote]I forgot to mention I could see us shipping out Johnson or Fox, more likely Johnson. We can play two CDM''s together in a 4-2-3-1 formation behind two wingers and an AM.

Not sure whether we will see another striker coming in if we get Biglia and Tettey. With those two in central midfield ahead of a strengthened back four (Turner is better than his debut game) we may only play one up front with three attacking midfielders/wingers, we certainly have the options to do so.

My maths makes the situation now this:

Excluding Vaughan, given that he is on a season-long loan, and also Rudd and Steer, who are under-age, and given that Bassong has taken the No. 5 shirt, and including Garrido, that makes a sqaud of 24.

Assuming we are getting at least one of these 97 defensive midfielders with whom we have been linked. And assuming Vaughan''s departure means a new striker, we will be going one over the limit. So there will need to be at least one more departure. Bunn as another goalie would make it two. Chris Martin perhaps, or Lappin? Possibly Fox.* Possibly Hoolahan.**

--

* Included to provoke howls of anguish/derision...

** Ditto...

If we sign any midfielders it is only going to be 1 of Nzonzi, Biglia or Tettey. I dont think the budget can stretch to any further. We do need to improve in this area .For all the talk of the number of midfielders on the books in central midfield we are light. Only Howson, Fox and Johnson are players you would call orthodox central midfielders. Butterfield and Wes prefer a more advanced role behind the striker.

When you also factor in that we need another striker now Vaughan has moved on. This means that the budget probably needs to stretch accordingly. So attempting to sign two midfielders is probably a luxury we can''t afford.

It is becoming very rushed and last minute this. Which is something I havent been used to in the last 2 seasons. Lets just hope we do have a nicely balanced and determined squad to show for it at the end.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Excluding Vaughan, given that he is on a season-long loan, and also Rudd and Steer, who are under-age, and given that Bassong has taken the No. 5 shirt, and including Garrido, that makes a sqaud of 24.

Assuming we are getting at least one of these 97 defensive midfielders with whom we have been linked. And assuming Vaughan''s departure means a new striker, we will be going one over the limit. So there will need to be at least one more departure. Bunn as another goalie would make it two. Chris Martin perhaps, or Lappin? Possibly Fox.* Possibly Hoolahan.**

--

** Ditto...

[/quote]

Purple, just because they are not named in our 25 man squad doesn''t mean we have to get rid of - they can sit quite comfortably in our "development" squad for the rest of the season pending any long term injuries and play the odd cup match, whilst taking their fat monthly pay cheque!  It''s just the Premier League they cannot play in.

By the way if Sports Desk Pete is reading - any sign of any press conferences?  For others that live near Carra Rud, any sign of Hughton''s car parked at a jaunty angle?

[quote user="Jacko"]If we sign any midfielders it is only going to be 1 of Nzonzi, Biglia or Tettey. I dont think the budget can stretch to any further. [/quote]

None of us have any idea of our budget or what we have actually shelled out so far.

[quote user="shefcanary"]By the way if Sports Desk Pete is reading - any sign of any press conferences?  For others that live near Carra Rud, any sign of Hughton''s car parked at a jaunty angle?[/quote]Lol that was classic, everyone doubted him and his description of Lambert''s parking abilities but he came through

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

--

** Ditto...

[/quote]

Purple, just because they are not named in our 25 man squad doesn''t mean we have to get rid of - they can sit quite comfortably in our "development" squad for the rest of the season pending any long term injuries and play the odd cup match, whilst taking their fat monthly pay cheque!  It''s just the Premier League they cannot play in.

[/quote]

True, shef, but as a shareholder I would consider that grounds for a vote of no-confidence in the board at the next AGM!

"there is a chance possibly that now this is in the public domain Arenal may take action and swoop in on him last minute"

You think that other clubs are not aware of what is going on ?

Agents are hawking round names the whole time. If Biglia''s agent has approached us you think he has not approached Arsenal and every other club ?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

--

** Ditto...

[/quote]

[/quote]

True, shef, but as a shareholder I would consider that grounds for a vote of no-confidence in the board at the next AGM!

[/quote]

you can have my proxy vote as well!