Sign in to follow this  
Hoolahans Ped

Time To Gel?

Seeing this phrase, ''time to gel'' or ''time to bed in'' quite a bit on this message board but I for one disagree.It seems to me that its a kind of excuse for new players that come into the team and a positive spin to put on a more negative start (admittedly 1 game) to the season and performances. The main let down last Saturday was the defence and 3 of them have been here a while and have well and truly ''bedded in''. In my opinion, the Premier League is an unforgiving league and there is no way that we can be signing players and then giving them competitive games to ''bed in''. If it takes them 5 games to gel, that is a possible 15 points lost to ''gelling''. These players play together every day and should know what each other is about, we can''t afford for players to not be ready to play to the standard expected of them, they need to be hitting the ground running, not ''bedding in''. That is what has done us so well in previous seasons with players like Crofts, Pilkington and Howson making immediate impacts after signing for us. I for one want to see players such as Snodgrass, Turner, Bassong and the likes integrating well. After all, they are all professionals. Bring on tomorrow and hopefully Snodgrass gets a hat-rick.OTBC

Trust me every now and then i changed clubs i play sunday league. Alrite i don''t train every day but it still takes a while to first fit in then to get used to playing styles. I never play my best football until after christmas for a new team.

I agree that the Prem is an unforgiving place and it is difficult for any club to give too much leeway to players who are finding it difficult to settle. There are a host of reasons why some players may find it easier to settle than others though, so let''s not try to write off any one individual too quickly. I wouldn''t be surprised if some players who hit the ground running don''t perform quite so well for the rest of their time with us, while others who have found it difficult to hold down a regular first team place could perfom better in their second season with us. It''s a funny old game!

[quote user="Wet Blanket"]Trust me every now and then i changed clubs i play sunday league. Alrite i don''t train every day but it still takes a while to first fit in then to get used to playing styles. I never play my best football until after christmas for a new team.[/quote]

Try sticking with the same team. There''s just no loyalty in the game anymore! 

Snodgrass was playing his first Premiership game, Turner his first ''real'' game for us and Tierney was back after a long lay-off. Those apart, we were not that "un-gelled" (ugh!) given friendlies and training acclimatisation.

Fulham had far more upheaval in a way. They''d lost a few regulars over the Summer and had the Dempsey saga to contend with right upto the end.

Sure, I''ll give them a bit of leeway to click, but most teams need this at the beginning of a season.

Lee cook (formers qpr player) was on the qpr radio show discussing this actually. He said people perceive time to gel as getting to know the other players ect , when really it is actually just a player to understand his role in the team example hyperthetically hoilett played st for black burn he comes to us qpr he now plays lw , he now needs to understand his role and what the manger wants him to do every game. That''s how a player put it anyway.