Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Panic Stations Anyone?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well now Rickyyyyyyyyyy, I reckon your "source" was probably on the run from the madhouse[;)] How many is it now?

I expect to see some more leave, don''t you?

And hopefully a striker in?

[/quote]

The plan has gone out of the window due to the Fulham debacle Nigel.

Thats why I question the logic of whats going on now.
[/quote]

Ricardo, I can understand your concern with so many potential changes. However, one can only really question the logic, as you suggest, if one knows the facts of what is going on from the inside. Certainly the performance at Fulham ( never mind the score ) was very underwhelming. As I suugested some time ago, Lambert and Whitbread leaving ( particularly with Lambert going to Villa ) and the Grant Holt issue was concerning. Perhaps other issues have arisen behind the scene. It''s difficult to imagine, given our effort of last season, that a new manager would be given the blessing of the board to drive this much change unless something was occurring behind the scene. 

[/quote]

Pay no heed Yankee, Ricardo has no inside information but as you may have gathered I am yet to fall in love with CH''s style of play. I went to the AJAX game and watched the Fulham match on the internet. I know it''s only 2 games but attacking intentions seemed to run a poor second to defensive duties. Perhaps I''ve been spoiled by Lambert but if my fears prove true I can see a Worthy/Burnley situation blowing up before the Autumn leaves fall.

I desperately want to be proved wrong about this.
[/quote]

I''m convinced towards the end of last season that more went on than was apparent. It may or may not involve some of the players but the events surrounding Lamberts departure and the subsequent change of direction of the club (not the team) seem odd to me. Maybe things will come out and maybe the 2012 AGM will be interesting but for now the club has to move on and move forwards. I share some of Rickyyyyy''s fears re the difference between Hughton and Lambert but am now of the opinion that comparing the two managers is pointless and too negative. McNally knows where we''re at and has put his faith and the clubs finances into Hughton''s hands. At this point we have no reason not to trust McNally''s judgement.

Nice to see a reasoned thread with respect and humour between posters.

This remindes me why I joined the site in the first place [:)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Didn''t Bassong or Hughton say that we started discussions around 3 weeks before we completed the transfer? It had nowt to do with Fulham.[/quote]

Yes. The only player we have signed who might - only might - have only been approached since Fulham is Tettey. And the likely quest for a striker was signalled by Hughton in pre-season.

[/quote]

A couple of extra points to do with how (I imagine) transfer plans change during pre-season and right up to the window closing. Firstly, when Hughton took over he can''t have envisaged being able to pick up Whittaker for nothing. I doubt he was on our radar at all. It was only the implosion of Rangers that made that possible. Secondly, having a new chief scout with overseas contacts (supposedly the case with Ewan Chester) must have widened considerably the pool of potential targets, as we are now seeing, but also made the whole process more complicated and long-winded.

If there is only one more player (a striker) coming in with still seven days to go, that is actually impressively quick work all round for a club not at the top of the food chain. You only have to look around at other clubs to see that we are certainly not lagging behind. For how many months is it that Modric has been about to leave Spurs?!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Secondly, having a new chief scout with overseas contacts (supposedly the case with Ewan Chester) must have widened considerably the pool of potential targets, as we are now seeing, but also made the whole process more complicated and long-winded.[/quote]In the article where Bowkett DIDN''T say "the biggest transfer budget" but did talk about "the biggest expenditure on football we''ve ever had", he also added......

"We want to invest in the squad. We''ve got a very strong squad as it is, but we want to improve."

"Therefore

we will be looking again in the transfer market and possibly looking a

bit wider than the lower leagues and more internationally."

So, this policy has been in place quite a while.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Secondly, having a new chief scout with overseas contacts (supposedly the case with Ewan Chester) must have widened considerably the pool of potential targets, as we are now seeing, but also made the whole process more complicated and long-winded.[/quote]

In the article where Bowkett DIDN''T say "the biggest transfer budget" but did talk about "the biggest expenditure on football we''ve ever had", he also added......

"We want to invest in the squad. We''ve got a very strong squad as it is, but we want to improve."

"Therefore we will be looking again in the transfer market and possibly looking a bit wider than the lower leagues and more internationally."

So, this policy has been in place quite a while.

[/quote]

Indeed, lapps, but only up to a point. Only since the arrival of Hughton. He brought Chester with him. It is not as if Chester had been in place beforehand and had already been working on potential overseas targets for Norwich.

[quote user="Grant Holt''s 3 year contract  [quote user="Scooby"]Shame to see you getting such a slating Ricardo when I think you''re very right to worry.  The team that played so well last season, with plenty of attacking flair, is slowly being dismantled by the defensively minded tactics of Mr Hughton, instead of being given the right, which I believe they have earned, to build on their achievement.  He can pack the midfield with as many Tetley tea bags as he likes and play his nice little 4-5-1 and try and hang on for single points by being hard to break down, but that ain''t gonna win us any games now is it.  Soon there will be no room in the starting line up for your Hoolys, Pilks, Bennets and Howsons. So where to from there?  Lots of nice 0-0''s and 1-1''s perhaps, and maybe sneak the odd 1-0?  At least those who ranted against the lack of clean sheets may be happy. Not a great recipe for success though methinks (me not Shakespeare).  The team that finished a creditable 12th last season is no more, and so is the 50 goals I would think.  Still, we may finish in that target 17th spot.  Personally I wouldn''t bank on it, after all, it didn''t work at Fulham, did it....... or am I wrong?   quote]Negative drivel. Everybody for fricking ages has said we need a defensive minded mid fielder and now we have one..I honestly do not think that Hoot would have let JV go without a back up plan. Also Bassong is better than Ayala and Javier G is better than Drury and Tierney so improvements have been made in the squad.Why not try actually supporting CH and the team as opposed to whinging... We will sign a striker next week. I can almost guarantee it so hold off your bed wetting please [Y][/quote]
Oh dear, here we go again. Typical insults at someone who doesn''t happen to share the opinion of the masses. It is my opinion,and probably that of many others, that things aren''t as rosey down at Carrow Rd as some would like to believe.  I sincerely hope I am proven wrong.  It seems to me that we are abandoning the attacking ''''if we score more goals than the opposition'''' philosophy for the defensive ''''if we don''t concede then at least we can''t lose''''.  Hughton is known as a manager who likes to build from the back, my concern being that he is forgetting the front.  Only time will tell if I am right to worry.  As someone else has commented, you have no idea that our new signings are any good for us until they play.  If they were that good they certainly wouldn''t be coming here.  There is a vast difference between snapping up young promising talent from the lower leagues than players with Premier League experience who were not deemed good enough at their previous clubs.
As for the usual pathetic Why not try actually supporting CH and the team as opposed to whinging...   Do me a favour you Muppet.  If you can''t accept an opposing point of view without resorting to childish comments we''ll start having to see who has supported our team the longest, and I''d wager you weren''t even born.

After last week''s debacle I was extremely worried, more because of the clueless & gutless performance (did it translate to a clueless & gutless manager?) than the result.

On reflection I doubt that Hughton has turned into the above manager overnight, & now believe it arose because the manager is in the middle of a complete restructuring of the team & strategy. This may involve occasional risks & poor performances, but then again I doubt we could have maintained the phenomenal performance levels of last year from a group of, let''s be honest, players who in the main were not quite there in terms of the Premiership. Do not misunderstand me, I love them to bits & they will always be a bunch of heroes, but they really need the proverbial "hand"

Once again, but for different reasons, it''s gonna be emotional!

The previous three seasons'' success has been built as much on team spirit as it has on scoring goals for fun.

Both these attributes are currently under threat. The goals have dried up, and the strong team spirit has to start coming under question. The Holt issue hasn''t helped, and I can''t see the non-stop enthusiasm of the likes of Tierney and Martin being sustained as their pitch time becomes greatly diminished.

The fast influx of a number players is very much new ground for NCFC, and I must say I share the concerns of Ricardo and Scooby.

''''The previous three seasons'' success has been built as much on team spirit as it has on scoring goals for fun.

Both these attributes are currently under threat''''
I cant share your pessimism here Unique, we have only lost Wilbraham, Whitbread and Crofts whilst loaning out Ayala and Vaughan which is hardly the backbone or core of the side is it? The acquisition we have made of a few quality players may just strengthen the team spirit once they''ve played together!! Didn''t PL sign 8 players last summer?Give the mangement and team some time for heavens sake, I''m feeling more confident than a couple of weeks back and I still think a striker will come in next week.