Sign in to follow this  
kellybrook

A case for the defence....

Ok, going to have my say on the past week.For me, Fulham was a freak result.  We came up against a team with a point to prove, who are under-estimated in terms of the quality they posess and at a time where defensively we were struggling.Our defence last sat consisted of:Martin - Simply not quick enough for the premier leagueBennett - 21 and massively lacking in experienceTurner - first game for the clubTierney - simply not fit at all, and lacking match practise for 9 months.So was it any surprise that we tried to cover that by being more defensive higher up the pitch?  Not to me.  To Hughton''s credit he changed it at half time, we can talk about who and how he changed it, but he certainly did not bottle the big decision at half time.If we are honest, Lamberts "score one more than you" approach was

running out of luck in the second half of last season.  Any mananger,

including Lambert would have to look at our lack of clean sheets and

goals against and say "we have to tighten up at the back" .  Anyone who

thinks "one more than you" will see us through our second season is

frankly deluded.

We brought in new defenders, Whittaker who will undoubtedly be stronger

at right back than Martin (as anyone who actually watched Scottish

football last season already knows), Garrido, who is definitely a better

player than Tierney and Basson, who on paper should be our best player

this season.We have also brought in a proper, strong defensive midfielder to cover that back four.

But they will need time to gel.

So to today.  QPR will be desperate for a win as well and they contain a lot of players capable of turning a game, even if their team plays like a pile of poo.We have to go out and attack, but also balanced with defence.  So don''t expect an open 4-4-2 with wingers today - well, at least I don''t expect it anyway.If we get spanked, then there should be concern - but not panic. I know on the evidence of last week some people simply can''t help themselves, but I think many are under-estimating the upheaval at the club. Three years of pure success under one of the best managers in a generation is a tough act to follow - for mananger and players old and new.

i agree with all that but it was stilla horrible shock. I like the look of most of the players coming in but am still very nervous about todays game. I do expect a very positive reaction from outr team though, QPR will also expect one from theirs

yep,should be a cracking game.To be honest last week was indeed a freak result but i also think a lot of supporters massively under estimate quite how good Fulham can be.A lot of people on here need to actually take a look at that Fulham side and then at our XI and ask themselves how many of our side would have actually got in theirs? Answer.......ermmm lets just say not many!!The ONLY way our side can and will get results is through a team spirit/good coaching/players playing at close to maximum each week and fans making some massive noise.QPR on paper have better players but i dont for a second believe they are a better team......So lets get behind the boys in yellow today and show them how to play football (ideally the correct, Norwich way, on the deck and entertaining).OTBC

Good post,tend to agree with all of that.

Regarding last week,i think all are in agreement that the first half tactics were wrong.Changing the shape at half time was a good idea,but unfortunately trying to chase a game in that ridiculous heat gave further advantage to Fulham,and they duly picked us off at will.All in all everything conspired against us last week,from the management,players and weather,which led to the disaster.

Hopefully,that game can be forgotten as a blip and we can move forward today.

Good post and largely agree.

I have been very encouraged by the mix of signings that we have made this year - some young and hungry but others with more experience but still something to prove. My main worry is that we are trying to integrate a lot of new blood quickly and the PL is unforgiving of any transitional uncertainty.

The case is well put. I would only add that the need to shore up the defence, while understandable, required Howson, one of our creative players, to play in front of the back four, and our wingers to track back to help form the front line of four of the defence.

The result was that we went with a not-quite-fully-fit Holt on his own supported by Surman. We did mount some attacks, but against the pace and recovery of Fulham defenders, we were not going to score many goals. The aim with a five man midfield was to frustrate Fulham, and we failed for various reasons.

Over the past three seasons we scored buckets of goals, but certainly below the Premiership and perhaps in it, we created more chances than most other teams by dint of non-stop attacking. We also squandered many chances, in fact more than most other sides. Our rate of conversion of chances was too low.

At Craven Cottage, we were unlucky with one or two goals - the first was going out but the vicious spin took it in, and the deflection off Turner''s shoulder.. For a while we seemed  relatively comfortable, but failed to show our usual response to the reverse of conceding. We lacked the team shape to respond and heads went down.....

I also agree with this post. I believe (and hope!) That we see an entirely different and much improved performance today. I think last Saturday was a one off and was unfortunate it was the opening game. Craven cottage is never an enjoyable trip for us canaries!! However qpr hasn''t been so bad :)