Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Where will Greeno ACTUALLY go?

Right, I''m going to have to start this post off with an apology.  That is that I am going to completely contradict what I have said in previous months! 

The performances of Greeno in the past weeks and months have been, shall we say questionable.  He has made a fair few mistakes.  On Saturday for the third goal, away at Blackburn, home to West Brom etc etc.  This got me thinking.  I have always said that Greeno will be off to north London in the summer to wear the Gooners number 1 shirt.  However, I''m beginning to doubt myself. 

It''s widely rumoured that Arsene Wenger is going to have his biggest ever transfer kitty in the summer (£30M+) and top of his priority list is a world class goalkeeper.  I think greeno is top class (except for the odd mistake) but will Wenger?  With so much money to spend would he not rather spend a few mil more on an international goalkeeper with Champions League experience?  Perhaps.

We would require a minimum fee of £3-4M for Greeno if we go down.  If the top clubs go abroad and go for international experience, who else is going to pay that much for a goalkeeper?  Established Prem clubs like Birmingham, Everton, Man City, Charlton etc etc I would have thought would rather spend their precious transfer kitty elsewhere.  Only the best clubs have a world class goalkeeper has high on their priority list.

It begs the question then, if none of the top clubs take a gamble on greeno, will we see our number 1 between the sticks of Carrow Road again next year, regardless of the league we''re in?

Once again I apologise for my spectacular about turn on this topic.  But previous months of mistakes has got me thinking.

Thoughts?

I completely agree with your thoughts DDIM

Quite honestly I don''t think anyone is going to come rushing in with £4m or £5m based on potential rather than proven form

We might have got that sort of money 12 months ago, but regrettably the Premiership has shown that Greeno is not yet the world beating goalie that we might have thought he is

Don''t get me wrong, I still think he could be but it might take another couple of years

If sold at the end of the season, I think a more realistic price would be under £2m, and I don''t think we should let him go for that, unless we are 100% about the capabilities of our other goalies

At this stage, I would say keep him. He''s young, another season in the Championship wouldn''t do any harm, and it would improve our chances of getting back up (if we go down)

I think Green''s confidence has been affected by the shoddy displays in front of him. At the start of the season he was virtually faultless and perhaps made up for our poor defence. I will never forget that save from Atuba at White Hart Lane.

But now he just looks a bit shell shocked- as would you or I if we never knew who would be marking who, whether someone was going to get a free header (which happens very regularly) and when you have to face down two players in your own box 6 yards out.

Earlier in the season I would have put a lot of money on Green going after relegation. Now I can''t see that any top club will be prepared to take the gamble. Man Utd might be an option, but will they spend their money on Green and risk another Carroll/Howard? I doubt it- they may spend bit but probably elsewhere. Our gain though.

Greeno should be dropped.  His performances at the moment have all the signs of a player low on confidence, mind you this could be said for a few of the 1st team.  Give him a break, a chance to refresh the batteries, take him out of the firing line and hopefully he wont lose too much value on his already depreciating stock.  It will give Worthy a chance to try out Darren Ward / Paul Gallacher for next season anyway.  It just goes to prove that no matter how good a keeper you are if you play for long enough behind a dodgy defence you''ll eventually sink down to their level.

I''m not climbing on the knock Greeno bandwagon here, for I did raise this point on the Forum after he conceded four goals from outside the penalty area in the first Chelsea match and many more in subsequent games.

His two weaknesses appear to me, not coming of his line to claim crosses, and those long range shots.

I wonder if there are any stats on goals from outside the area , I have a feeling Greeno concedes more than his fair share, he seems to react too late to those yet is like lightening to stop close range efforts.

Anyone else noticed this ? Lampard seemed to think so saturday, was often trying to catch him out.

As you have all pointed out his confidence is at an all time low so its not surprising that he is not coming for crosses etc.   However he has more ability than either Ward or Gallacher and I guess it would take them fewer games to get to rock bottom too.

''Keeping is all about confidence and dropping greeno now could be the nail in the coffin (may also be the decision that means others clubs see that he is not up to it!) which would mean a couple of seasons for it to return.  Stick with him - he deserves to be in the England squad and as such MUST start for city.

Who will want him?  Bham are rumoured and Villa are very very keen...  I cant see one of the big boys coming in or being attractive for Greeno - but as long as we have two clubs interested then we have a chance of a decent fee.

OTBC

OTBC 

Does anyone think that Petr Cezh would have kept over ten games of clean sheets with our defence in front of him. 

Nobody would keep a clean sheet with our defence in front of them, but i cannot see any of the top clubs coming up with silly money for Green now . Maybe a bid of £2 million but £4 million no way .

[quote]Does anyone think that Petr Cezh would have kept over ten games of clean sheets with our defence in front of him.[/quote]

Every time I think too hard about our defence I finish up with "soiled" sheets

I have a feeling it''ll be villa, but i''m sure someone will want him and he won''t be with us next season.

[quote]Well Liverpool bought Scott Carson and he was from Div 1 so Green could go anywhere[/quote]

True Northern they did.  However, Carson went to Liverpool knowing he would be second even third choice goalkeeper.  I can''t imagine Greeno leaving for anywhere unless he knew he''d get the number 1 jersey

I don''t think he will be going...just wondering if he has shown just too much inexperience to move to one of the big clubs..perhaps Middlesbro, Birminham, Villa  would be prepaired to take a gamble....

I was one who also felt that he was destined for Arsenal, however, I can see Wenger going for a big keeper, one of the Italians (toldo, buffon...)

There are quite a few decent keepers in the premiership, so there are few alternatives for him. Possibly Everton (ageing Martyn, Rubbish Wright, European Football), or somewhere like Brum or Charlton??