Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

so then whos out?

with us signing Tettey and rumoured to be getting Biglia and possibly Nzonzi which midfielders are going as they will surely be unhappy at being so far down the pecking order. My guess is that Smith and Adayemi go on loan, Lappin and Fox will be shipped out. Think Hoolahan will stay though. It would also seem to confirm we are going to persist with 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 to me.

I don''t think the N''Zonzi rumour was ever substantial and Biglia has fallen through so we''re okay. Even if we did I think Hoolahan is further down the pecking order to Fox who was instrumental last season. Johnson is much more likely to go IMO.

Do we really have that many?

We only have 4 true central midfielders on the books at the moment; Tettey, Howson, Fox & Johnson. Smith & Adeyemi won''t be considered.

3 or 4 wingers, depending where you see Surman.

2 attacking midfielders in Hoolahan & Butterfield.

Fox still has a role with us this season, when he doesn''t play we seem to struggle to get our passing game going. I don''t think he will play as many games as last season but all the same we need different options for different formations so I would keep hold of the Foxy one.

If we''re going to play 4-2-3-1 then I''d expect it to be 2 of Tettey, Fox & Johnson, with 3 from Wes, Howson, Butterfield, Pilks, Bennett, Snodgrass and Surman further up. With the right players in the right places it can work for us.

If we let fox go imo we will be making a massive mistake. Like said before he seems to get our passing game going. In the games I watched last season whenever he played well the team would seem to play better and when he struggled so did the team ! Think if he was on last week he would have made a difference.

We need two or three out as a matter of some financial importance. We have mixed opinions as to who we should sell, but I just want one more decent forward in and a few out.

The wages bill of players who are not likely to feature, even on the bench, could likely be detrimental to us in the future, especially if we do go down again.

Trim the squad Hughton, you know it makes sense.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Not tonight, will prob head into town tomorrow[/quote]

Haha, Saturday nights are a better night out these days anyway!!

And there''s no doubt another striker will be signed by this time next week, with Vaughan leaving its even more of a certainty... Just a guessing game of who, now that Huddersfield have JV does that mean Rhodes will move on to bigger and better things??? Possibly us.??? Hope whichever striker we bring in they are fresh and rearing to bang some goals in asap ... Otbc

Someone told me Bassong can play full back. If that is the case then maybe Lappin is on his way out.

Could be that Martin is too along with Smith. In some ways Fox wouldn''t surprise me. It would be sad to see him go but then how his stock has risen considering we signed him for peanuts from Colchester.

I think the answer really is who knows? There was talk of Hoolahan going earlier in the summer, it could be rubbish, it might not be. It also depends on what Hughton sees his role as. It could well be that he sees him and Butterfield as being support strikers that will play off Holt and Morrison.

In terms of squad ballance that would mean:

GK: Ruddy, Rudd, Steer

RB: Whitty, R.Martin, Francomb

CB: Bassong, Turner, Bennett, Ward

LB: Tierney, Lappin

Wingers: Bennett, Pilkington, Surman, Snodgrass

CM: Tetty, Howson, Johnson, Fox,

Support striker: Hoolahan, Butterfield

Strikers: Holt, Morrison, Jackson, C.Martin

Those left and that I expect to go at this point in time: Barnett and Lappin.

To be loaned out: Smith, Adeyemi, one of the keepers (the other to play in the under 21 side).

If not immediately, then before long I would expect Johnson. Korey and Adeyemi to be gone - none of them has really displayed anything very skilful or qualities to hold a place in the Premiership. We could say the same about Lappin, but he has the canny knack of filling in well as a substitute in a variety of positions.

I think that Surman is safe, but may not play as often as he has in the past. If we stay in the Premiership then his willingness to cover the ground may compensate for a slight lack of pace. I am not sure whether the skills of Snodgrass will compensate for a clear lack of pace. Fox is another one with passing skills, but limited in other respects.In the midfield. I think that these three will be marginal in the future if we stay with the big boys.

So this year I expect the midfield to be composed usually by a selection from Wes, Howson, Butterfield, Tettey, Pilks and Benno, with one of them playing off the striker if CH goes for his preferred option of 4-4-1-1, or 4-2-3-1.

It''s difficult to see Chris Martin getting a game, except as a wide man, unless there are injuries to other strikers. The order of priority seems to be Holt, Moro, Jacko, Martin. The fact that Vaughan has been allowed to leave suggests that another striker will arrive. He may actually jump the whole queue if Holt has a disappointing start to the season.

Ooops, forgot Garrido. That makes 24.

Well in that case I can defenitely see Barnett going. I think it will depend on the next signing as to who else goes.

I would like to think with Vaughan gone due to being told he wont get many oppertunities, that Hughton is also after another striker to improve upon or compete with what we have.

I know people have got a bit defensive about Vaughan but a few goals in pre-season does not make a great player.

To me the players most likely to leave now are: Barnett, Lappin, C.Martin (in that order). Adeyemi may go out on loan or may be kept as part of this new under 21 league - as could Smith and Francombe I guess. I expect one of Rudd or Steer to go out on loan too with the other remaining to be in the under 21 team. It would also suggest why we have looked into a back up keeper. Most prem teams opperate with three, if you want the younger keepers to get experience you can''t risk loaning them out if you only have two left - one injury and your shot.