Sign in to follow this  
flying high up in the sky!

Team for today.

I was thinking of the return of the diamond midfield, but against a side with good, quick wingers we''d be overrun.

I''d go for a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1.

4-4-2:

Ruddy;

R. Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Garrido;

Snodgrass, Johnson, Hoolahan, Pilkington;

Holt, Morison.

4-2-3-1:

Ruddy;

R. Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Garrido;

Fox, Howson;

Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Pilkington;

Holt.

The 4-2-3-1 lacks a bit of steel but hopefully it should overload the midfield with our players, enabling us to play a short, quick passing game. Holt will be in the box, and we have to utilise the crossing skills of Pilks and Snoddy on the wings in both formations. Hoolahan plays in the hole - the position he is most effective from. Fox and Howson sit as deep lying playmakers, spraying the ball out to the wings.

The 4-4-2 needed Bradley Johnson in there just to break up their attacks, whilst Fox and Johnson in the middle is too defensive, so Hoolahan slots in. Crossing would be our primary weapon, hence Morison instead of Jackson. With Moro and Holty upfront, that would give any defender nightmares.

I am unhappy yet again to see Howson as a defensive midfielder, effectively shielding  the back four and not able to play his creative game further forward. (I hope the Tettey, or even better Biglia, will provide this in due course.) I am not sure of Johnson''s qualitities either. With one or two exceptions, which I remember because they were exceptions, his control and his passing are not good enough. If he is fit, I would prefer Fox, because he can spot and make passes out of defence.

In the absence of Benno, and the lack of spark in Pilks, the Snoddy/Surman pairing as wide players is probably right. The only other candidate might be Martin C., who has played wide left with some success. He is certainly no slower than Snoddy or Surs.

If we must play Holt on his own, and I am not sure he is fully fit and mobile, Wes seems the best to play forward, as the most creative player we have.

I agree with most of the team selection, and until Biglia or Tettey are available perhaps we have to accept Howson and Johnson as defensive midfielders, although I suspect that Howson is not keen there and we shall not get the best out of him.

I read somewhere that Fox played 80 minutes for the reserves midweek - if he is still injured he will be deeply missed in our squad.

As for Tettey, the signing didn''t go through in time, so is unavailable for today, but should be able to play against Scunthorpe in midweek.

Fox played 80 minutes in an U21 game against Blackburn on Monday, but Hughton said in his PC that this game will come too soon, shame, I think we really miss him when he doesn''t play.

As such I''d play:

Ruddy

R. Martin      R. Bennett      Bassong      Garrido

Howson

Snodgrass                        Surman

Hoolahan

Jackson             Holt

Rudd, Turner, Tierney, Johnson, Pilkington, C. Martin, Morison.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Fox played 80 minutes in an U21 game against Blackburn on Monday, but Hughton said in his PC that this game will come too soon, shame, I think we really miss him when he doesn''t play.

As such I''d play:

Ruddy

R. Martin      R. Bennett      Bassong      Garrido

Howson

Snodgrass                        Surman

Hoolahan

Jackson             Holt

Rudd, Turner, Tierney, Johnson, Pilkington, C. Martin, Morison.

[/quote]I like this formation and team, good choice :) Just be a shame I don''t think it will happen.

Ruddy

R Martin, RB, Bassong, Garrido

Shoddy, Howson, Johnson, pilky

Morison, holt

Get balls in the box for holt and Morison to attack, we then have options on the bench, I could see bassong alongside turner tho at centre half.

Ruddy

R Martin, R Bennett, Bassong, Garrido

Snodgrass, Howson,  Pilks

Wes

Morison, Holt

Would be my choice .

Right time to start the drive to CR [:)]

CMON YOU YELLOWS [:)]

[quote user="cityangel"]

Ruddy

R Martin, R Bennett, Bassong, Garrido

Snodgrass, Howson,  Pilks

Wes

Morison, Holt

Would be my choice .

Right time to start the drive to CR [:)]

CMON YOU YELLOWS [:)]

[/quote]

Mine too, and although we lack a bit of security at the back (without Johnson) we have to go for this one. Not just for the points, but also to set out our template for the season for games at the Carra.

[quote user="smooth"]Ruddy

R Martin, RB, Bassong, Garrido

Shoddy, Howson, Johnson, pilky

Morison, holt

Get balls in the box for holt and Morison to attack, we then have options on the bench, I could see bassong alongside turner tho at centre half.[/quote]
That would be my starting 11 as well

these teams highlight why we need a couple of defensive midfielders - johnson is not quite up to standard but a good squad filler, howson simply not strong enough in that role and the rest of teh midfielders are creative or wingers.

I hope we persevere with biglia along with tettey & fox we would then have a very good firm, base with options for an attacking 4-2-3-1 which is the shape our squad suits

for today?

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Bassong Garrido

Howson Lappin

Pilkington hoolahan Surman

Morison

have never claimed to know anyone! and just a discussion one really

I think we need to be better defensively in the middle - johnson not working for me and in the absence of tettey dont think we have any other options.

442 last week showed we did not have enough strength in the middle to with 4 (conceeded goals faster rate in 442 than 4231) No holt is a by product only of not having enough in the middle - Morison for me does the loner better.

Snodgrass did not impress me, and so should be dropped - would have had bennett in place of surman if fit as he gives us pace, with surman as an attacking outlet you at least know he will cover the ground and pass, snod does not appear to be good enough defensively

The team next week will be different again

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="ImDrunky"]From the official NCFC twitter account

team to face - Ruddy, R. Martin, Johnson, Bassong, Snodgrass, Howson, Holt (c), Jackson, Pilkington, Garrido, Barnett

[/quote]
do you really mean Barnett?
[/quote]I copied and paste it from the Norwich City tweet, so yes lol. I didn''t see Barnett playing, I was expecting R.Bennett.

442 - woop wooop. thank f u c k for thatleon barnett back in defence though :O the question is not how many headers will he win from norwich corners, but will he ever actually manage to get one on target

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Barnett Garrido

Pilkington Johnson Howson Snodgrass

Jackson Holt

I guess

Holt right to start if 2 up front; the midfield looks weak defensively, they will need to defend high up the pitch to defend through attack and play to their strengths.

And Barnett in from the cold, that, as Ricardo suggested in his post yesterday, is a a panic move. He has his chance, can he take it? Dropping both centre backs suggests the manager does not have any faith - but teh real culprits last week were the leeds three and turner.

A big couple of hours ahead

[quote user="technika"]442 - woop wooop. thank f u c k for thatleon barnett back in defence though :O the question is not how many headers will he win from norwich corners, but will he ever actually manage to get one on target[/quote]

my fear is 442 can be more defensive; 8 sitting deep, no support for the strikers and nothing but teh long ball out - that, as we played against fulham for just 20 mins, is even worse than 4-5-1.

fingers crossed

Norwich: Ruddy, Russell Martin, Bassong, Barnett,

Garrido, Snodgrass, Howson, Johnson, Pilkington, Jackson, Holt. Subs:

Rudd, Surman, Hoolahan, Morison, Tierney, Ryan Bennett, Chris Martin.

Interesting that Barnett has been brought back into the team. From my memory of him (it''s been a while since I last saw him play) he''s not slow and could be used with Bassong to nullify the speed of Cisse up front for QPR.

The worry is that he has mistakes in him - but which one of our back 4 doesn''t? Him and Bassong at the back could work. Strong in the air, quick on the deck. I guess we''ll soon see.

[quote user="super canary"]turner not even in the squad[/quote]

That''s any shred of confidence Turner had blown!  There are shake ups and then there are bombs dropped into the middle of the team sheet.  Okay so there were always going to be two new faces, but this is a re-built defence.  The Leeds midfield needs to show its strength today!  Glad to see Cinnamon''s pace being utilised - if nothing else will tire QPArse''s defence out and allow Morison to come on a score a couple!

Well that''s great managing Mr H.  Buy a player, play him once, kick him out of the squad after one bad game.  How to instill confidence in your squad.

BARNETT?! If he doesn''t do anything stupid or concede a pen I''ll be stunned and mightily impressed. What was wrong with Bennett? He wasn''t really culpable in the last game whereas Turner really was. Thank god we''re playing 2 up front though, I would love for Simeon to take his chance and bully QPR all over the place - hat trick too much to ask? lol. Seriously though, excited about formation, but a little worried about Barnett