Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

So where does this leave Chris M he artin?

With James Vaughan off, and seemingly higher in the pecking order than Chris, it would seem to me that he would be off as well. I just cannot see how he would stay. (The wages bit, wouldn''t be a strong case at all imo) Chris would be 5th choice, if, as all seems more than likely, a new CF is on his way.

If he fails to get a loan/transfer to a champo club then he will not be playing much football this season as he will not be involved in the first team squad as he is not good enough for the premier league as i have said many a time. AS.

Why do you think Chris Martin is behind Vaughan in Hughtons thinking?  Vaughan has gone out on loan, Martin is still here.  Suggests the other way round to me....

Expect he''ll be on the bench tomorrow unless we go for 1 up front again but Hughton''s hinted against this. Deserves another chance I guess but will be shocked if we don''t sign another striker.

I love how people continue to say he isn''t prem quality, just because he didn''t shine in 4 appearances last season, he didn''t do awful.
IMO he fits better into hughtons style, much more of a pacy forward.

mot necessarily so

it could be that other clubs think C Martin is behind Vaughan so the deal is that much harder to do

McNally is no soft touch when it comes to negotiation and deals so the club won''t be taking the first offer that comes up

£75m or not, we still need to be as hard edged as ever

I do not want C. Martin on our books. I consider him not good enough for where we want to be and that we should look for better.

He might well put in a decent performance now and then, but there is no consistency there and he is not much of a goal threat nowadays either.

It would be some turn around if CM gets a run out in the first team, does well and establishes himself in the prem.  It would be great if he could  - but in all probability it is not going to happen.    Another season on loan beckons I think....

I would love him to stay, in fact 3rd choice striker imo.He''s got talent, yet for some reason very much not rated here? He''s got a lot for an all round striker, not small, strong, reasonable pace, and a cracking finish.Imo better than Jackson. I do like Jackson and think he''s got a great work ethic, but Martin is good!I remember last season away to Chelsea, he started and played very well.

I’m with Brendo; CM is a really useful utility player when it comes to attacking solutions – especially now that Wilbraham has left. CM is a ''cool-head'' finisher and remains ahead of Simeon Jackson in my view.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I do not want C. Martin on our books. I consider him not good enough for where we want to be and that we should look for better.

He might well put in a decent performance now and then, but there is no consistency there and he is not much of a goal threat nowadays either.

[/quote]

Agreed

As said previously I think an awaful lot on here, and elsewhere, would be exceedingly underwhelmed if chris Martin was announced today as our new signing (presuming he had not been with us).

We have limited squad numbers - 25 and a limited budget as does EVERY club

We cannot be sentimental or reasonably argue for ''utility'' players. This is a new era and sadly a fair few familiar faces that helped us up to where we are we have to depart, but for too long we were too ''soft'' with regard to hard nosed, determination.

If anyone thinks staying up is hard then it will be nothing compared to getting back here if we are relegated. There are 17 places up for grabs to stay up. There are three to come back up again.

I expect by the end of January we will have lost most of the ''old contemptibles'' of the League 1 and Championship battles but such is football, at this level.

We need to keep looking forward

It would be just like him to come off the bench and score the winner tomorrow then in some fans eyes he''ll be the 2nd coming again.

Chris Martin is not good enough and quite frankly I''d prefer the other Chris Martin from Coldplay to play for us

Plus ahead of Simeon Jackson in terms of quality? Come now now, clutching at straws springs to mind...

Chris Martin is not good enough for the Premiership fullstop!

We need players capable of causing the opposition problems and getting behind them. While C Martin can knock the ball about he isn''t going to do this and his great shot will not be seen caue he will never get in the positions to eventry a shot!

Both Chris Martin himself and the club need him to move on and we just have to thank him for the half a season bright start he made for us 5 years ago and the terrific League 1 camapaign which he played a big part!

[quote user="Across The Pond Yellow"]I love how people continue to say he isn''t prem quality, just because he didn''t shine in 4 appearances last season, he didn''t do awful.

IMO he fits better into hughtons style, much more of a pacy forward.

[/quote]

I don''t think he''s particularly fast. He''s quite rounded, but at the same time doesn''t shine in any area. That''s why he was on loan at Palace last season and didn''t exactly bang them in either, but did ok on the whole. He did ok for us in the Championship too, but never lit it up either. I do think we need better to get to the next level. Especially as we''ve improved the rest of the squad. I''m all for keeping him and giving him his chance, but at the same time we need to replace Vaughan who has just left after Wilbraham did earlier in the summer. Wouldn''t mind seeing what Loza is about, but probably early for him yet without any real first team experience.

I would expect CH to bring a striker in, but then again he was saying how we had a lot of strikers in pre-season and how he had to give them all minutes

Why on earth would Chris Hughton be sentimental about Chris Martin? He wouldn''t give a fiddler''s curse about his history.

Whether Chrissy stays or not will be down to whether Hughton thinks he can do a job or not and nothing else. I think Bughton rates him as an attacking midfielder/second striker and will keep him but time will tell.

Why is there even a thread on this? Even if he stays it will be because we can''t get rid of him he will not be anywhere near the 1st team

So where is the ''Where does this leave Fox?'' thread or the ''Where does this leave Johnson?'' thread or the ''Where does this leave Jackson? thread.

No, always Chris Martin.

He is, perhaps fortunately, still at Norwich City and he has a new manager.

If he can reproduce some of the promise that he has shown in the past, who knows?

As far as a new start is concerned he, like all footballers, usually get one when they get a new manager.

It''s up to the manager and the player then.

I have to say the Chris Martin debate drags on and on, if he had not been a product of the youth system he would have been forgotten ages ago. Granted he had a good season in league 1, had modest impact inthe championship and played little or no part in last season.He did ok at palace on loan but even there was not exactly a stand out player that teams are desperate to buy. This squad is evolving as we speak and yes regulars last season like fox and johnson may come under pressure but Martin is so low down the pecking order i cannot see him getting a sniff. I am sure we will get a new striker andthere is Holt, Morrison and probably jackson ahead of him

Whilst I can see the argument against retaining Chris Martin, we don’t have the benefit of watching him closely over the past two-and-a-half months like Chris Hughton has been able to do. I think the manager probably knows a finisher when he sees one – and CM has as much chance to impress him as anyone else. Mind you, if he doesn’t take it this time he can hardly gripe about lack of opportunity; over the years he’s enjoyed more goodwill than most players would ever hope to get at Norwich!

In the medium and longer term, I suspect that he has not much of a future, certainly if we stay in the Premiership.

Immediately, he may have a task. With Benno injured and Pilks seemingly losing his spark, Martin could play wide left. He has done this before. He lacks pace, but he has excellent control and passing ability. Palace played him in a forward midfield position, where he created goals. I would put him on a par with Lappin, - able to make a worthwhile contribution in a number of positions but given the pace of the Premiership not a first choice unless there are injuries, i.e. no more than a squad player.

His form went off the boil after his injury and what with Wilberaham gone he should have a chance to impress. Sometimes it''s a case of better the devil you know, but we''ll never know if he don''t play?