Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Striker situation

Logic would follow that we should have an attack more than comfortable for the premiership already, but i and probably everyone here isn''t convinced. Are we not giving our current options enough credit or are we 1 player of immense quality short like we all suspect?

On that token, if we sign someone for over £5m or a current ''big'' name, is it really going to improve us?

Say Michael Owen joins, how will that affect our set up, or Park Chu Young, or Abdoualle?

It depends on your point of view.   Goal scoring was not a problem last season and we arguably have a more exciting creative midfield who should provide more chances to score - so the glass for me is pretty full.     I will be happy if we continue with what we''ve got and let them develop and improve - particularly if Jackson gets omn a scoring run.     Having said that, equally,  someone coming in to challenge the people we''ve got for a starting place would be good too.     But no need to break the bank to get a striker.    It ain''t broke so no need to fix it - just back it up.  

We ought too look outside the Britain for our players! dont want a has-been like Owen or a flop like Park, would take Guidetti or Abdellaoue though!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"] if we sign someone for over £5m or a current ''big'' name, is it really going to improve us? [/quote]Not neccesarily, that''s the gamble. What I don''t want is us spending large sums on an unproven striker at this level eg Jordan Rhodes because we came into this division with several of those and I see it as a step backwards. Of all the names mentioned I think the only one who would provide value for money is Abdoualle,.

Currently we are the same as last season except for Chris Martin instead of Vaughan, neither of who are ''out and out'' strikers - Vaughan was missing for much of the season

I agree entirely with LDC about attacking midfielders, and the goals they will get - Butterfield and Snodgrass certainly have goals in them

But is not simply about goals (although that''s their main job) it is about putting pressure on the opposition holding the ball up for the attacking midfielders to come through - and in that light another striker would help

Problem is we have 25 players in the squad and someone will have to move out to make a space ..... Ward, Lappin ?

And what type of striker ? Pacet lad like Jackson, ''no prisoners'' bruiser like Holt or maybe Morrison or a goal hanger/finisher ?

We need the goal hanger finisher , somebody who when the chance comes along they stick it away , for me that''s Jordan Rhodes.

[quote user="Ncfc"]We need the goal hanger finisher , somebody who when the chance comes along they stick it away , for me that''s Jordan Rhodes.
[/quote]

For some that''s Chris Martin!...

[quote user="City1st"]

Currently we are the same as last season except for Chris Martin instead of Vaughan, neither of who are ''out and out'' strikers - Vaughan was missing for much of the season

I agree entirely with LDC about attacking midfielders, and the goals they will get - Butterfield and Snodgrass certainly have goals in them

But is not simply about goals (although that''s their main job) it is about putting pressure on the opposition holding the ball up for the attacking midfielders to come through - and in that light another striker would help

Problem is we have 25 players in the squad and someone will have to move out to make a space ..... Ward, Lappin ?

And what type of striker ? Pacet lad like Jackson, ''no prisoners'' bruiser like Holt or maybe Morrison or a goal hanger/finisher ?

[/quote]

I think we could loose Lappin and one other. It could be that C.Martin does go. Morrison has also been linked. But Guidetti would be the obvious answer as he wouldnt count towards the squad total.

Who has Morison been linked with? I haven''t seen any rumours regarding Morison, just a few on here who want him gone.

And i''ll only be happy once we complete the loan signing of Messi, my reliable source assured me it would happen. But he did also suggest Wilbrahamovic would make his way to Barca to allow the loan move to happen, I can only assume the delay is because Barca are searching far and wide for a striker of Wilbys talent.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="Ncfc"]We need the goal hanger finisher , somebody who when the chance comes along they stick it away , for me that''s Jordan Rhodes.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh please!

Do you want to be in League 1 again? Because thats the only place so far that Martin has consistently scored goals!

But Guidetti would be the obvious answer as he wouldnt count towards the squad total.

?

i reckon hughton is also thinking about holt''s age. I wonder if he will save up and wait till january or next season to get a goal scrorer that won''t be early to mid 30''s (like davies at bolton).

[quote user="City1st"]

But Guidetti would be the obvious answer as he wouldnt count towards the squad total.

?

[/quote]

He''s only 20/21 isnt he?

It''s pretty obvious to me that ours is not quite a Premiership attack, one or two injuries and/or suspensions and our options will be too limited.

I want to see us getting in a Striker from abroad, someone who is perhaps a bit of an unknown who has it all to prove.

[quote user="Hog"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh please!

Do you want to be in League 1 again? Because thats the only place so far that Martin has consistently scored goals!

[/quote]

That argument simply does not correlate as the past does not equal the future. Using the same rationale, it''s best we steer clear of buying another Dean Ashton or Anthony Pilkington and dismiss consideration of players like Jordan Rhodes then?

CM has not been given enough games in the Prem yet. Probably the best one-on-one finisher at the club, he only got 3 or 4 minutes the against QPR. Had he enjoyed the 87 that Simeon Jackson that got, perhaps he would have converted more than the solitary one that SJ managed? That''s what top ''goal hanger finishers'' do; spending £5m+ on someone like Rhodes/AN Other may not be necessary - ''diamonds beneath your feet'' and all that...

Against QPR Pilkington was (apart from the cross to SJ for the goal) fairly anonymous. Thought that game was ripe for Surman to play the last 30 as there was space ahead on the left. No-one seems to have mentioned Pilkington being fairly average in that game - would CM have contributed any less? I don''t think so personally. They are both ex-League 1 players who look like they can play the game at a higher level.Given he got some game time against QPR it would seem Hughton likes CM at least a bit - unless it was purely a shop window moment!

Perhaps CM will get his chance against Scunthorpe this evening; but then again it won''t count for much I guess as it''s only League One opposition!...

What is it with this guy ???

I think we all would have liked to see CM do well as he is a local lad but there is nothing to suggest he is worthy of getting anywhere near our first team squad unless we are desperate due to injurys.

He did OK at Palace last year, nothing more. Nothing like the sort of form he would have needed for a premiership club to pick him up if he wasn''t already on our books.

I always liked Danny Crow and Cody Mcdonald but we moved on and had to look for better quality. Same sadly for CM he is not mobile enough, he may be one of the best finishers at the club but if he doesnt have the pace (or will) to be in the right place at the right time it doesn''t matter.

2 Choices send him on loan again for half a season or keep him here as emergency cover / odd cup games but we cannot seriously think this guy is the answer to keeping us in the premier league. Get Real !