Sign in to follow this  
Notts Canary

Is relegation that bad a thing?

First point is that in an ideal world I would love Norwich to stay up in the premiership as a competitive force but there will be some positives to come out when we get relegated:  

1)                  Glory hunting fans will disappear and true Norwich fans can get tickets

2)                  Cheaper tickets

3)                  Better atmosphere at grounds and more banter with the away support

4)                  Good chance that we will actually win some games

5)                  Chance to rebuild out of the spotlight and come back stronger

6)                  Watch some committed football instead of a bunch of overpaid foreigners spending more time on the ground than on their feet

7)

If you can guarantee me another Championship winning season Notts, I''ll gladly take relegation with a pinch of salt

Very, very strange that non of these things were thought about in the euphoria at the elevation to the Premiership last year, when promotion was the best thing since sliced bread

[quote]First point is that in an ideal world I would love Norwich to stay up in the premiership as a competitive force but there will be some positives to come out when we get relegated:

In answer to your 7 positives of Norwich going down.

1) True Norwich fans should already have tickets - where were they 3 or 4 years ago.

2) Cheaper tickets - yes to watch pub football

3) Better atmosphere - cos singings the only way to keep warm when watching 22 muppets hoofing the ball in the air.

4) Yes we probably will beat a few teams like Preston.

5) Chance to rebuild and disappear into obscurity.

6) Committed football equals pub football. But i guess we don''t want to watch the likes of Gerrard, Henry, Pires, Rooney, Lampard etc do we?

7) More time away from the Mrs can''t be a bad thing.

8) Chance to stuff Ipswich? How, they''ll be in the Premiership.

Ian Crook - better than Pele - EASY.

Naturally none of these things were thought when I was standing in front of city hall cheering as we lifted the trophy, but reality has hit home with our impending doom.

Have to say Andy I agree with a lot of what u say and I’m not trying to escape the fact that it will be a culture shock. As fans we have to take the rough with the smooth and my big fear is that we do a Wolves, Leicester or Leeds (?) and finish mid table, don’t think we will but changes will be needed.

Finally how can u even think Ipswich will be in the premiership, they have choked good and proper!!

Getting promoted beats anything apart from maybe survival. Floating around the fizzy league like somebody like Reading is not as good as Premiership. But its Norwich and i will just support them in any league

I was gutted back in ''95 but we were in such dire shape that most fans thought a year or two "consolidating" would be for the long term good. It took us 9 painful years to get back through which we endured some really poor football and even worse players. It was horrible. Now, finally we are back in the spotlight, on MOTD in the Press and even back in the footie sticker albums!!

There are some small crumbs of comfort but the buzz I get from watching Champions League players and Jose Mourinho etc at our place beats any of that "well we''ll get seats easier" stuff.

I now expect relegation and don''t subscribe to the theory that we will easily regain our place. It will be tough again. I will still attend as many games as I can get to but yes, it is such a bad thing.

I have to say I actually thought this towards the end of last season. Getting promoteds great for the profile of the club, but we were never gonna be more than mid table, and realistically it would be a season scrapping at the bottom which it has been. I really enjoyed singing we are top of the league last season..last time i did that at a game was many moons ago when we beat Forest 3-0 at the City ground!

Don''t get me wrong Ive been impressed and proud of my club this season, if we''d been blessed with just a bit of luck we might not be where we are. But money buys you luck in this league.

Last season the atmosphere was sooo good at every game, and tickets were easy to get hold of for away games which I prefer anyway!

I may be in the minority, but I''d jump at the chance of another Championship winning season...bring it on!

If we do go down and we don''t make the playoffs I''ll take all this back

I''d love to see us stay up but can''t see it. don''t think Ipswich have choked. I''d like to see them go up as me and my brother Darren used to support them, so always got a soft spot for them.

Relegation is only good if we come back stronger and wiser (Mr Worthington).

Even though this season has not been great its been better than any other over the last 10 years (apart from the year we got to the play-offs and last year of course).

Notts don''t forget, we will get to see more away games living in the Midlands. God i hope forest stay up if we get relegated!!

If I could be guaranteed that we would bounce straight back and win the 1st Division then I would say no, relegation wouldn''t be a bad thing.  However, there is absolutely no guarantees whatsoever.  The 1st Div is extremely hard to get out of.  If we say that the top 3 in the 1st Div go up and the bottom 3 of the Premiership go down the following teams would ALL be looking for a top 6 place next year:

• Norwich
    • West Brom
    • Southampton
    • Derby
    • Preston
    • Reading
    • West Ham
    • Millwall
    • Leeds
    • Sheff Utd
    • Leicester
    • Coventry
    • Nottm Forrest
    • Stoke
    • Hull

Do you want to be in a league where 15 teams are looking for 6 spots?  I sure as hell don''t!

BUt DD, that list doesn''t look too terrifying. I would only have West Ham, Leicester, Sheff Utd and Wolves (who you don''t list) as our main rivals. The others are solid mid ranking teams some of which like Derby are having a good run. Forest and Coventry are struggling and been down for a few years now, Leeds are very much in transition squeezing as much out of youth players as possible and I don''t believe that Preston Reading Millwall or Stoke are as good as the team we are likely to have.

Having said that, needing to consistently perform over a whole season is tough. Much depends on injuries- take out Ashton and Hux and we start to lok a bit ordinary. Its a long old slog- and our defence is weaker now than it was before as well.

[quote]BUt DD, that list doesn''t look too terrifying. I would only have West Ham, Leicester, Sheff Utd and Wolves (who you don''t list) as our main rivals. The others are solid mid ranking teams some of which...[/quote]

Sorry Tumbleweed, I missed the horrible Wolves off the list.  Completely forgot!  Lets face it, it''s pretty easy these days!   I know in theory we should be able to best the majority of the teams in that list.  However, how many of those could you be sure we could go away and definitely get a result?  Last year was the first year for a long long time when we had an impressive away record.  My point is that the 1st Div is so so unpredictable.  Going away to all those places (and Wolves) would be very hard.   

[quote]First point is that in an ideal world I would love Norwich to stay up in the premiership as a competitive force but there will be some positives to come out when we get relegated:

Is relegation that bad a thing?

Financially Yes!