Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Owls to bid for Barnett

1) it''s the sun... need I say more?
2) it''s certainly interesting. he''s certainly not young, nearing the age of 27 now, but he''s arguably about to enter his prime, so it could be true, but I think he will make an excellent part of the team this year.

[quote user="Across The Pond Yellow"]1) it''s the sun... need I say more?
2) it''s certainly interesting. he''s certainly not young, nearing the age of 27 now, but he''s arguably about to enter his prime, so it could be true, but I think he will make an excellent part of the team this year.
[/quote]

It may be the Sun but why would it be less reliable than the Sunday Times ? Did you read the Norwich v QPR match report in the Times on Sunday ? It was so inaccurate that it seemed like a classic case of the reporter not having been at the match. It really was a piece of fiction. Mind you I did hear on the news this morning that the Sun reporter in Essex was frightened by the roar of the putative escaped lion when on further investigation by our brave boys in blue it turned out to be a large ginger tom.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]

£2.75m according to the sun

[/quote]

They can keep it. Barney has the potential to be one of the 1st names on the team sheet. I''m hoping that Hughton and his team''s coaching plus playing along side someone like Bassong can help him realise that potential.

This would be a strange one after Saturday''s performance.   Despite the noise about his ability at this level from alot of so called supporters I have looked forward to him having another chance at the first team.   I hope he stays and continues to show the doubters up.    He just may have got the kind of defender next to him that will help him fulfil his potential.    Bassong and he seemed to have a good rapport and worked very well on Saturday.   

However, he may feel he wants to play every week - and who could blame him for wanting to leave after the ridiculous and unwarranted amount of abuse he got last season.    The hounding of players by supporters - which is what it amounted to - can backfire - and we could lose a player who may just be coming into his prime.   I hope he stays and builds his reputation here - in the first team.  

Wish they would bid for Turner instead ,Barnett was great Saturday and suffered for one bad mistake last year i personally think last year we had a better defence when he was there

Was not at the match this week ( was in Spain ! ) but my old man said the defence was solid. For him to say that I know it must have been near un-breachable !I like Barnett, he arrived when we needed a defender and delivered. If hes going to find the kind of form he showed in the Championship then I say keep him. BUT £2.75m sounds like a good deal, any chance they would want Ward or Turner instead ?

Turner has played 1 game so lets not start slating him to much just yet. 2.75 Million for him could be a great piece of buisness if we went and spent it on Davies.

Didn''t Theodropacross only had one game for us didn''t he? Colchester at home, maybe Turner will be the same!

[quote user="Indy"]

Didn''t Theodropacross only had one game for us didn''t he? Colchester at home, maybe Turner will be the same!

[/quote]

Turner has a proven Premier League pedigree.

[quote user="Indy"]

True, that really showed at Fulham!

[/quote]

So you would be happy to sell a player that has played 1 game for the club, even though MON and Sunderland were quite reluctant to sell? He has alot of PL experience because of 1 bad perfomance along with the rest of the team, you want him gone. Ok then.

Ayala had a complete nightmare v MK Dons in his debut, but now seems much-missed by some, after just 7 starts (and probably the same number of yellow cards).

Re Leon, I''ve always liked him but had seen him as surplus, as you hopefully don''t normally need 5 c-b''s (+ Russell M as back-up) too often in your squad (unless one is Zak!)

Talking about Turner btw. But Would love to see barnett starting more often!! Very solid performance against QPR and could be a nice little duo between him and bassong :)

Only yesterday Hughton was reported as saying that he was happy with defence and midfield but was looking for a striker. If he''s happy why ship one out? Doubt it will happen.

[quote user="Canarypops"]Wish they would bid for Turner instead ,Barnett was great Saturday and suffered for one bad mistake last year i personally think last year we had a better defence when he was there[/quote]

haha so your saying barnet had 1 bad game and should not be sold which is fair enough, yet think turner should be as he was awful (like most others) at fulham (despite being an experienced prem CB). I like your reasoning sir

I love the fact that I imply two things, one he only played one game for us as Theordropa cross did and that his premiership experience showed at Fulham and the usual suspects jump to put points to my thread response that I have not said!

Did I say sell him?

They are two points which can be applied to Turner! That''s all and is that his only game for City before he''s sold, well onlt Hughton knows that!

As I said before, Barnett is a great combative centre back, but I don''t think he''ll fit in the long term plans of Hughton. Wherever Hughton has been he has always preferred centre backs that, whilst not particularly aggressive, have good positional discipline and an intelligent defensive mind. I''m not sure Barnett (with his all-action style) is going to be part of Hughton''s long term plans as a starter. 
But he was very good on Saturday, and I don''t think he should be sold, I feel that against teams with a lot of pace Barnett will be amongst the first eleven, if only because he himself is quite fast.  

Tell you what, how brilliant it is talking about having this defender and that defender as opposed to sticking a right back into the center. Don''t write Turner or Barnett off. It''s a long season and we need the whole squad.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]Tell you what, how brilliant it is talking about having this defender and that defender as opposed to sticking a right back into the center. Don''t write Turner or Barnett off. It''s a long season and we need the whole squad.[/quote]True words spoken. A nice change:)

I also prefer Martin at RB myself

Probably going to get shot down in flames for this but has anyone considered the possibility that it was QPR''s tactics that helped make Barnett look so good on Saturday.  There has never been any doubt that Leon is very good in the air (not withstanding his slight lack of accuracy at the other end) and he proved that again, along with Bassong, by dominating the aerial battle thanks to QPR belting long balls when they ran out of options.
The problem with him occurs when we play the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Swansea, etc.  i.e. teams that like to keep the ball on the deck and try and pass round or through you.  There is a reason he was last choice last season in a defense that leaked many goals.  Just sayin''

This is getting ridiculous.Turner has a bad game on his debut and he''s suddenly consigned to the scrapheap by some ''fans'', and now suddenly Barnett has become a top class defender who''s worth at least 3 million or more on the back of a decent game against QPR!At that price we should definitely sell (assuming there''s any substance to the rumour), as he is simply a limited defender. In the right situations against the right players he does a perfectly good job, but against the others he stuggles badly.Fairly pacy, relatively strong and good in the air, but anything beyond this is a no-no. Positioning is average to poor, distribution and passing are laughable, and he''s one of those defenders that just doesn''t normally inspire confidence from fans and sometimes even teammates and managers (hence Lambert''s decision to drop him).As a squad backup player or someone who''s purely used in specific games (such as against QPR) then he''s a perfectly good squad player, but for the sort of figure being suggested we could buy better - especially if we consider that Turner was around 2 mil and comes with far more prem experience and games, and also that Bassong was meant to have cost somewhere between 2-3 mil (as McNally advised we haven''t broken our 3.5 mil record fee paid), and he''s clearly a better player than Barnett...If a good deal''s on the table then move him on, otherwise he''s a decent backup/occasional selection.

Hooooots said that he opted for Barnett to match the pace of Cisse, Hoillet and Zamora. It''s quite possible that he could find himself on the bench again at Spurs, Adebayor isnt the quickest and spurs tend to play with one up top....Turner could well be back in.

[quote user="super canary"]Hooooots said that he opted for Barnett to match the pace of Cisse, Hoillet and Zamora. It''s quite possible that he could find himself on the bench again at Spurs, Adebayor isnt the quickest and spurs tend to play with one up top....Turner could well be back in.[/quote]I''m not sure, Defoe is fairly pacey and just because Adebayor is tall he''s certainly no slouch. Personally I''d keep the same defence.

£2.75m is a good return. However with Ward injured, turner uninspiring selling barnett after a good game and wanting to impress a new manager would just be wrong

unless we can get better in before friday.