Sign in to follow this  
Canarypops

Grant Holt

Usual snap judgements. Come back in 6 weeks and see if your opinion is still the same? Holt is critical to the past 3 years (and beyond). Take him out of the side and you would lose a hell of a lot more than goals. His presence alone unsettles Defenders - if you didnt pick this up from Saturday you really are wasting your time even going to Carrow Road.

Keep slating him though, he has spent the past 3 years proving people wrong so I am sure he would happily add the already vocal doubters to the list.

Holt''s always been a bit of a slow starter. Whilst he played well on Saturday, Holt won''t hit top form until about October and when he does, it''s going to be impressive.

Thing is CanaryPops, peoples disagreement with your post is nothing to do with it being "slightly negative" is it?

Everyone is entitled to have their opinion, but you start off your post by calling people "idiots", and then slating one of our best players over the last 3 seasons.

So he dropped him because he was super fit did he ?it was well known that he was told to loose weight and found his form from coming on at the liverpool game there on .

Others do go to matches too on here

I am hoping he gets to the same form as end of season very quick as if he does not we are in trouble .

But after all the rubbish with him over the summer you would of thought he could of made sure he was in tip top condition now hes on the money he wants and has the length of contract he wanted.

So far for me even in pre season hes let the club down

On a positive note Jackson was great so much respect to him how hes taken his chance scored ran the channels so much energy and passion

OTBC

[quote user="Canarypops"]What is it with this forum and not being allowed to be slightly negative football is about opinions and its seems certain people wish to put posters in a class of being a moaner or binner if anything bad is said I really do hope that Holt does what he did last year and get fitter as the season goes on but if you remember he got better by Lambert dropping him cause he was lazy and not fit the same needs to happen this year based on pre season and the league games so far[/quote]

The problem is in your op you called him ''lazy'', which by definition suggests an attitude problem.    Its bad enough to say he''s overweight - which he isn''t, its bad enough to say he is slow - which he isn''t, but to say he is lazy is just insulting as well as innacurate.  

[quote user="Canarypops"]So he dropped him because he was super fit did he ?it was well known that he was told to loose weight and found his form from coming on at the liverpool game there on . Others do go to matches too on here I am hoping he gets to the same form as end of season very quick as if he does not we are in trouble . But after all the rubbish with him over the summer you would of thought he could of made sure he was in tip top condition now hes on the money he wants and has the length of contract he wanted. So far for me even in pre season hes let the club down On a positive note Jackson was great so much respect to him how hes taken his chance scored ran the channels so much energy and passion OTBC[/quote]

You can''t justify a lie with another lie.

Oh I see Canary pops, so you were privy to the Holt negotiations were you?

Do feel free to tell us ignorant old fools what was said so we can make our own mind up please.

Btw your view on Holt is totally opposite to Hughes. Mmm interesting......

in your opinion well lets just see people ,were you all saying this when he wanted to go i doubt it

He has been lazy fact

he is over weight fact

Thats my opionion

I hope he improves and i am wrong

and i do think there are just do gooders on here who are idiots Fact

[quote user="Canarypops"]in your opinion well lets just see people ,were you all saying this when he wanted to go i doubt it

He has been lazy fact

he is over weight fact

Thats my opionion

I hope he improves and i am wrong

and i do think there are just do gooders on here who are idiots Fact[/quote]
Prove it.

You do realise facts aren''t opinions, right?

[quote user="Canarypops"]shall i take some scales for him ,god forbid anyone says anything bad about Grant Holt[/quote]
You can''t claim things as facts, if you have no proof to back up said ''facts''

And yet again we have a poster moaning that not everyone is accepting his negative opinion. You''ve got your opinion canary pops, no one has to agree, doesn''t mean you can playnthenvictim because some posters don''t like the way you''ve just insulted Holt. Why is your opinion automatically right? Lambert didn''t drop Holt because he wasn''t fit, he wouldn''t have started him in the first place if that were the issue. He dropped him because he hadn''t played that well and he wanted to play Morison up front on his own. Why do people have to look at everything very negatively? Unless you can find a quote with Lambert stating Holt was unfit we can all just assume you''ve come to your own conclusions, which are just as accurate as my conclusion...

[quote user="Canarypops"]shall i take some scales for him ,god forbid anyone says anything bad about Grant Holt[/quote]

Its ok to say bad things about players if you can justify them...............   

First of all, I am a big fan of Grant Holt, I do however have to agree with Canarypops. Many posters on here state that he is a slow starter and will be fine by October! The date of the season start is published well in advance, there is no excuse for not arriving at that date fighting fit and ready to go! Particularly if you have just signed a new extended lucrative contract, I was at Fulham and Carrow Rd on Saturday, on Saturday he was much improved but still off the pace, was it too much to ask to make the effort to be fit for day 1? I really hope he does prove that he is worth that new contract.

I''m of the view that once a player puts in a transfer request you might as well ship them out. They are not commited to the club and should be offloaded. We should have cashed in on the tyre fitter when he started crying about contract extensions. Can se him being little more than a bech warmer chucked on as Plan B when we are chasing the game (which could admittedly be pretty frequently).

Perhaps its something to do with his name.   If he had come from Italy instead of Shrewsbury - and had a name like Holtez, or Holta, or even  Holtavich  he would get more credit.    But no its that "fat ex-tyre fitter from oop north,  he''ll never be any good".    Its inverse snobbery. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Perhaps its something to do with his name.   If he had come from Italy instead of Shrewsbury - and had a name like Holtez, or Holta, or even  Holtavich  he would get more credit.    But no its that "fat ex-tyre fitter from oop north,  he''ll never be any good".    Its inverse snobbery. 

[/quote]

Great post.

He''s scored 70 goals in three seasons. He''s scored them at an unbelievable rate for a modern day player. His 1.86 games per goal is better than Ron Davies and of our top twenty all-time scorers only Ralph Hunt (1.83) and Roy Hollis (1.81) have a better record. When you consider his three seasons have included a season in the top division that record is phenomenal.......

But just think what he could have done if he wasn''t fat, lazy and notoriously a slow starter[:S]

Love it Nutty !

I would say whilst I agree he is never at his most effective at thhe begining of a season he is still our best striker (at 50 or 75%) and when he has the competitive matches under his belt he is a worldbeater. Fitness and match sharpness are not the same and as everyone knows Grant by his own admission isnt the clubs greatest trainer.

I think Hughton is alot more likely to give Holt significantly more game time than Lambert did (Carroll made 42 appearances for Newcastle in the championship & 18 in the Premiership before Hughton was sacked in December 2010) I fully expect Holty to surpass last seasons figures.

I had vowed to stay out of any early season Grant Holt debates after what happened last year but he does seem to be a bit heavier than he was once he got going last season. There were rumours (not facts [:D]) last season that Lambert had taken him to task over his weight and he certainly seemed to have slimmed down after his time out of the team. Compare the picture of his shirtless celebration against Swansea away to how he looked earlier on in the season. If he is carrying extra weight again (and I thought he looked a little bit big on Saturday) then I would be pretty disappointed.

There  is no real reason why a professional footballer should put on weight during the summer. Or if they do then they should certainly be able to shed any excess pounds before the season starts. A couple of people have commented on how it takes him a while to get going, and I would agree, but if he''s not at his optimum weight and fitness then that could be the cause of his slow starts. Playing matches (getting match fit if you will) will not lose you weight or improve your base fitness and it is pre-season which should take care of this.

I thought he played OK on Saturday and I fully expect him to start against Spurs. But he does look a little heavier than he did towards the middle of last season and I don''t think you can pretend that this is not going to affect his performance in some way.

Yay !The traditional " Grant Holt won''t cut it thread"I''ve been waiting for this, I also wish to now take the chance to say that I saw Jamie Cureton at Lidl''s , cant wait for when he is unveiled as his goals will surely keep us up !

Let''s get this right, Holt is over weight no doubt! his belly hangs over his shorts!

He is paid to do a job and keep up to a certian level of fitness, to be fiar his all round game doesn''t suffer as he''s the sort of guy who will always put in a honest shift!

But surely as a pro footballer he should be aware of what''s required and pride should get him back to where he was last year. He looks about a stone heavier!

So the club have rewarded him with a bigger 3 year deal the least I would expect is that he could get fitter as he''s pushing past his prime!

That said he was excellent on Saturday and made that back four work very hard, held the ball up superb.

[quote user="Indy"]

Let''s get this right, Holt is over weight no doubt! his belly hangs over his shorts!

[/quote]

[8-|]

FACT![:^)]

Haha... this is the 4th season running now we''ve had this thread about Holty, every year he proves the OP & doubters wrong.

I really don''t understand some "fans"... they turn on players, the manager and the club at the slightest thing, last week it was Hughton getting the blame, this week it''s Holty. I''m tempted to do a Pink''un sweepstake every week as to which player will be the latest for fans to abuse. I''m gonna go with Pilks being next weeks, then Howson the week after!

As mentioned, it was good off the ball work by Holt which freed up space for Simeon for the goal on Saturday, and he had IMO a solid game. Cut the man some slack, some people will always slate him now because of this summers events, even if he scores 30 goals this season.

[quote user="Indy"]Let''s get this right, Holt is over weight no doubt! his belly hangs over his shorts![/quote]Holt is big boned and what you thought you saw was probably a big bone........

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

[8-|]

FACT![:^)]

[/quote]

Maybe so. [:-*]

But maybe  it''s just ''cos his shorts waist is too tight.......[:O]

OTBC