Sign in to follow this  
VMan Canary

Substitutions ?

I have not seen this mentioned on any other threads but I may have missed this point already. This is not a moan but just an observation from last week against QPR. With roughly 6 minutes to go Hughton brought on Morrison and Chris Martin which for me was not really enough time for them to make an impact on the game. If we think back to last season the timing of the substitutions won us the game both home and away (albeit gainst a weaker QPR side) and also gained us many valuble points from losing positions.

Of course there may have been a number of good reasons for this such as that we were unlucky to conceed a penalty and despite that setback were in the ascendancy for much of the game so why change things around if what you are doing is working already. One or two of the players may not of been a 100% so it may not of been worth the risk and if some of our chances had gone in then of course I would not be making this point right now. I liked the fact we looked better defensively but I would not like to think that we will take the oppisite appraoch to last season and be afraid of taking a gamble now and again.

So now that he has added quite a few players now and that Hughton has had a good look as the "second string" in action last night will he make more use of his bench now if he needs too? I was suprised that Hoolahan was not used last week, yes at times he can be a liabilty but he has also been a match winner on many occasions especially in some of those marginal games last season. Lastly now that David Fox is back on the road to full fitness where will he fit in if at all ?

Haven''t seen a thread on it, but I do remember the pinkun podcast mentioning it, I think they said it''s Hughtons way, which will take some time for fans to get used to compared to the previous manager, as they referred to him, the ''L'' word.

I had mentioned in the match thread that Hughton was taking his time making a change, really think we could have won had we mixed it up a little earlier.

The use of subs is an interesting one.    In what I can see in the way Hughton will approach this season is that we will not be in the ''manic'' mode that we have been used to in the last two seasons.     So many times in the last two seasons we have had to come back from 1 or 2 goals down to get anything from a game.  So subs have been critical.   Lamberts approach was kind of just to go for it.   Hughton will not accept this manic approach and will want to ensure that we play with sufficient ability and composure in a match that we will not need to keep coming back from behind.  One of the features of the QPR match was that you felt we were in control of that game.   Never mind that it was a draw, we never looked like losing and if we carry on with that approach we will do ok.   The subs were just to keep the qpr defence on their toes at the end of the match.   

If we are going to be more of an established team in the premiership, we need to develop composure and solidity as part of the overall playing pattern.    Sh*t or bust tactics aren''t going to work in the long term............

[quote user="lake district canary"]

The use of subs is an interesting one.    In what I can see in the way Hughton will approach this season is that we will not be in the ''manic'' mode that we have been used to in the last two seasons.     So many times in the last two seasons we have had to come back from 1 or 2 goals down to get anything from a game.  So subs have been critical.   Lamberts approach was kind of just to go for it.   Hughton will not accept this manic approach and will want to ensure that we play with sufficient ability and composure in a match that we will not need to keep coming back from behind.  One of the features of the QPR match was that you felt we were in control of that game.   Never mind that it was a draw, we never looked like losing and if we carry on with that approach we will do ok.   The subs were just to keep the qpr defence on their toes at the end of the match.   

If we are going to be more of an established team in the premiership, we need to develop composure and solidity as part of the overall playing pattern.    Sh*t or bust tactics aren''t going to work in the long term............

[/quote]

I suppose so, but it''s been fantastic entertainment over the last 3 years LDC!

Fantastic entertainment Yes ! But not good for the health and I must aged 10 years in the last 3 years :). I think a good start now and again would be nice rather than having to reach for the heart Resuscitators

eveyweek.

I was bemused by the substitutions. Felt a bit like he didn''t really know what to do so put them on in the hope they delivered something, and when you''re relying on Morison and Martin, things aren''t looking too great.