Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Mark Bunn signs from Blackburn

mmmm we all knew it was coming - but I still think its a bit odd unless Rudd goes out on loan.

Is there anyone in the Championship who needs a first choice GK? If not this move makes no sense... Rudd and/or Steer need Championship games if they aren''t back up here.

I heard from a mate that it was £500,000. However he may have just been talking bollocks.

If that''s true then it''s still not a big price.

What the hell is the point ? we have two decent back ups already . Waste of bloody money .

Needed to be done IMHOIf something happened to Ruddy and he had to miss a large number of games I wouldnt feel comfortable having Rudd/Steer in goal against the likes of Man City, United etc with their limited match experience. Whilst age is irrelevant experience is and they''re paying the price for not being pushed out on loan for regular football at a younger age. Both are good goalkeeping talents and had we pushed them out on loans earlier in their career then they may well have filled the number 2 spot.This way Bunn can fill the bench, one of Rudd/Steer can go out on loan whilst the other is first choice keeper for the U21 games providing regular games and experience. Hopefully a win win for all parties.

Anyone who can''t see that Rudd and Steer need more experience than 1 or 2 games here or there is crazy.

Doesn''t even need to be to Championship clubs, League 2 would do (Joe Lewis had a very successful time with Morecombe).

Bunn is on a 2 year deal, after which one of the two youngsters will be ready to step up.

[quote user="Yellow Messiah"]Disappointed by this, what is wrong with Rudd and Steer?[/quote]

Nothing is wrong with them but they need games under their belts to gain experience and confidence  playing  first team football in front of a least a few thousand fans and that is not going to happen at this moment in time at Norwich City.They would only get a game in an hour of crisis and that would not be right for their development at this stage of their careers.Ninty minutes football week in and week out down in say Division One will do them far more good than say 30 minutes at Old Trafford if Ruddy got injured and we had our backs against the wall.

I hope that they are not goping to pay him premiership wage levels just to sit on the bench, but I suspect they are. Nice if you can get it!

I hope, too, that he is worth it if he is ever called on the replace Ruddy.

Not sure what that says about rudd and steer,  both of whom did ok when called upon last season,  other than the new management team cant fancy them much? At least rudd has to go out on loan now.   

I cant see ruddy being dropped so bunn must be facing a couple of years as back up. 

In order to develop their abilities and gain experience Rudd and Steer need regular football not a Cup game every other month. Getting Bunn in will allow this to happen and will give up an experienced back-up if Ruddy is unavailable. Smart signing IMO as long as we loan out one of the young guns.

"unless Rudd goes out on loan"

I tought that was taken as read

Hughton and the club have said they want Rudd and Steer out on loan and playing week in week out, something neither will achieve sat on the bench in the PL

This is a very positive move as withe Vaughan and Ayala out on loan (though I suspect it is proving themselves as muc as development)

I also expect Smith, Adeyami and Francombe to do likewise - which suggest the 25 man squad will be comprised of those being up to playing immediately

With the development team and the new acadamy it is a welcome sign that te club is planning for the log term future rather than simply patching up the squad to wheeze us toward that rather absurd and mythical targetted 17th spot.

Sensible move to cover possible injuries to Ruddy, given the inexperience of Rudd and Steer. Both our goalkeeping youngsters can now go out on loan to gain experience.

Just need a striker now.

Just what is needed for our two youngsters to progress. A reminder to those turning their nose up at either Rudd or Steer joining a side lower than the Championship, Butland went on loan to League Two Cheltenham for the last two seasons. Worked out well, no?

Like others I think this makes sense. Lambert last year was extremely lucky Ruddy did not pick up an injury and we had to rely on Rudd and Steer. Do not get me wrong they are good young keepers who given time will make their mark but to chuck them in against Man Utd etc would be def a sink or swim policy with no way out given the leagues very strict rules on emergency signings.Now like others I hope CH moves on to getting striker Rhodes from Huddersfield , surprised didnt offer as swap for Vaughan!

The way I see it, with Rudd and Steer both being similar ages and with similar lack of experience, surely one of them is going to have to move on for their career''s sake?

Bit of a meh transfer this. If we''re signing a reserve goalkeeper it''s not going to set the world alight BUT it''s very interesting that he keeps citing the fact he wasn''t getting first-team football at Blackburn. Either he''s happier to sit on a Premiership bench or something''s going on with Ruddy....

Very hopefully the former

I agree that at first look this is a slightly odd.  Let''s face it, most posters on here don''t get past first look but for those of you that do here are a few thoughts.

Rudd and Steer are good young keepers who have never let us down and have great futures before them.   They will not get into the team ahead of Ruddy but are good reserves.   The obvious point is that we have a manager used to coaching players and we have the England goalkeeping coach so we ought to trust their judgement.

However, it goes beyond that for me.  I was watching Rudd last evening.  His concentration level was huge; unfairly so.  When playing occasionally, it is a learning and relearning experience every time.   He needs to relax and feel more comfortable if he is to grow and develop.  At the moment, every game is like an audition.   It needs to be more commonplace and less stressful. 

The obvious solution is to send them on loan.  Look at Fraser Forster.  He blossomed with us and it was partly due to his howler at Leeds.  He was picked the following week, did well and got over it.   Had he been dropped because the first choice keeper was coming back then it might have haunted him and affected him.  Rudd and Steer need to get games, make lots of mistakes and learn how to relax and play to their best.

That is just not going to happen as things were.  Now, on can go on loan and be a first team keeper.  The other can play regualrly for the under 21 team rather than have them share that role.

I think this transfer is good management and fully support it.

good to see more moaning!!!! Hughton stated that both keepers we have as back up need to get more experience!! if Ruddy got injured would we want Rudd or Steer to be thrown in for possibly 6 months ala when Gunn got injured all those years back? I for one think this makes perfect sense as no doubt there is already a loan for them in the pipeline, doesnt matter who to, just need to get more experience than the odd cup game here and there!!!

Assuming Rudd and Steer go out on loan this makes perfect sense. Just as it did this time last year. The difference, I suspect, is that there was enough money available this time to include it in the manager''s list of priorities.