Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Michael Turner

Can''t believe I''m seeing suggestions that he should be sold already after playing one game. He is our most experienced player who was superb at Hull and did a fairly decent job at Sunderland who were reportedly reluctant to let him go ahead of their other CBs. If we are evaluating getting rid of players just at the Fulhsm game then surely Tierney should go. Ridiculous right? But why is it tierney getting backed more so than a player with Prem pedigree? For the record Turner had an okay first half against Fulham and only let his head drop after a deflection. I am honestly shocked so many people on this forum don''t understand football.

That was more due to his bad attitude in training though - and also when given the chance to play in a League Cup game he turned up late for the bus.

I imagine Turner will have to pay a penance by being out of the first team for a while until there is an injury or suspension. Michael Nelson fought his way back into the team, as did the Doc. Turner will be back before long.

Has been pretty solid in friendlies and comes with experience and a good reputation. bad day at the office for everyone at Fulham, no need to focus on him.Hughton will not have bought him and then wanting to sell him in no time at all. Many of our good players over the years had indifferent starts eg Gunn and Iwain roberts

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

That was more due to his bad attitude in training though - and also when given the chance to play in a League Cup game he turned up late for the bus.

I imagine Turner will have to pay a penance by being out of the first team for a while until there is an injury or suspension. Michael Nelson fought his way back into the team, as did the Doc. Turner will be back before long.

[/quote]

..................as did Leon Barnett

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Theodropacross was only given one game.[/quote]Are you seriously comparing him to Turner? The circumstances arecompletely different. I honestly hope you aren''t suggesting we get rid.

"Many of our good players over the years had indifferent starts"

Ruddy, being another

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Nope , unlike your namesake we should not sell him !Was just saying that Theo only got one bite of the cherry. [/quote]Ahh okay sorry for the misunderstanding. The differences between the two though are that Theo was bought under a different manager and let us down every other chance he had ie bad attitude at training and missing coach for a Paint Trophy game.As for Morison I''m not getting into that haha.

no danger, to be fair Theo did kinda take a massive crap on his own front doorstep. So he can continue being quasi famous on Aussie football blooper reels and Colchesters "Biggest Game in Our History" DvD

No player should be judged after one game.

For the record Theo''s record in Oz:

Personal Honours:

A-League Goalkeeper of the Year (3): 2006–2007, 2007–2008, 2010–2011

Most minutes (876) not conceding a goal in an Australian League (With Brisbane Roar, 2010–11)

Most clean sheets (12) — A-League with Matthew Ryan

Theo had an horrendous debut but he is not alone in doing that (Graham Gooch bagged a pair when playing for England in his first match).

Not even he should be judged after one match (perhaps it was what happened off the pitch as well that did not help him) but to even think of judging Michael Turner after one bad match (which was really one bad half) is ridiculous.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Turner should play tonight, really.

[/quote]

Exactly, in order to get that bad performance out of his system and in front of home supporters.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Exactly, in order to get that bad performance out of his system and in front of home supporters.[/quote]Shame Theoklitos wasn''t given the same opportunity to show it was simply a one-off poor performance...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Exactly, in order to get that bad performance out of his system and in front of home supporters.[/quote]Shame Theoklitos wasn''t given the same opportunity to show it was simply a one-off poor performance...[/quote]He was in a paint trophy game but missed the coach going to the game and blew his last chance.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Exactly, in order to get that bad performance out of his system and in front of home supporters.[/quote]Shame Theoklitos wasn''t given the same opportunity to show it was simply a one-off poor performance...[/quote]He was in a paint trophy game but missed the coach going to the game and blew his last chance.[/quote]He was only selected for the bench for that one though.Interestingly he has now changed his name, and holds the record for most minutes without conceding a goal (876):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Theo

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]He was in a paint trophy game but missed the coach going to the game and blew his last chance.[/quote]Not sure how this is even close to comparable with Turner''s situation unless we intend to leave Turner rotting in the reserves for 2 months then finally give him another game in a Mickey Mouse cup???Theo deserved another game or two in the league itself - preferably a game or two after the opening day debacle, but instead he got treated like a leper and sent to Coventry by Lambert who never even gave him a fair chance to prove himself.Oddly enough Lambert seemed to do the same with Barnett after a couple of mistakes as well...Some of us have had the ''Theo'' debate before, but I still believe that it''s a very unfair representation of his ability purely because of an opening day game where our entire team was horrendous - especially players like Otsemobor in defence, yet Theo has been horribly scapegoated over the whole mess.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Exactly, in order to get that bad performance out of his system and in front of home supporters.[/quote]
Shame Theoklitos wasn''t given the same opportunity to show it was simply a one-off poor performance...
[/quote]

Would have meant dropping Fraser Forster or not giving Rudd some valuable game time though.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Morisons Prozac"]He was in a paint trophy game but missed the coach going to the game and blew his last chance.[/quote]Not sure how this is even close to comparable with Turner''s situation unless we intend to leave Turner rotting in the reserves for 2 months then finally give him another game in a Mickey Mouse cup???Theo deserved another game or two in the league itself - preferably a game or two after the opening day debacle, but instead he got treated like a leper and sent to Coventry by Lambert who never even gave him a fair chance to prove himself.Oddly enough Lambert seemed to do the same with Barnett after a couple of mistakes as well...Some of us have had the ''Theo'' debate before, but I still believe that it''s a very unfair representation of his ability purely because of an opening day game where our entire team was horrendous - especially players like Otsemobor in defence, yet Theo has been horribly scapegoated over the whole mess.[/quote]

Actually, it was Cody who got sent to coventry...

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Morisons Prozac"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Exactly, in order to get that bad performance out of his system and in front of home supporters.[/quote]
Shame Theoklitos wasn''t given the same opportunity to show it was simply a one-off poor performance...
[/quote]
He was in a paint trophy game but missed the coach going to the game and blew his last chance.
[/quote]

He was only selected for the bench for that one though.

Interestingly he has now changed his name, and holds the record for most minutes without conceding a goal (876):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Theo

[/quote]

Then he must have changed the width between goal posts to "croquet hoop" width. 

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

Some of us have had the ''Theo'' debate before, but I still believe that it''s a very unfair representation of his ability purely because of an opening day game where our entire team was horrendous - especially players like Otsemobor in defence, yet Theo has been horribly scapegoated over the whole mess.
[/quote]

Doesn''t really matter who you''ve got infront of you or how they''re playing if you can''t deal with some of the shots he had coming his way.

It''s no different to if you just chucked a non-league player in the team for a game and he looked a million miles off the required quality. You wouldn''t play him again. You don''t just give people a game for the sake of it.

I mean I had my doubts about Theo from pre-season, he''d let a couple of things in that he shouldn''t have then and against Colchester he was just terrible.

Nowhere near good enough to play at that level of football.

Put John Ruddy, Fraser Forster or any other good goalkeeper in goal that day and we''d never have lost by anything like that margin.

[quote user="GJP"]Put John Ruddy, Fraser Forster or any other good goalkeeper in goal that day and we''d never have lost by anything like that margin.[/quote]But surely that would depend on whether or not they also had an ''out of character'' horror show doesn''t it?I''m not claiming Theo was a world class keeper (or even CCC quality for that matter), but ALL keepers have games throughout their career they want to forget, and this was unfortunately one of the poorer showings.If he''d previously demonstrated a habit of these errors on a consistent basis then I''d totally agree with you, but he didn''t do that in the A League and then wasn''t given a chance to show it was a one-off here.Apart from maybe someone like Ali Dia (who faked his way into Southampton anyway), I will never judge a player on a single performance - be it fantastic or shockingly bad. If after a number of games nothing has changed, then I''ll happily write a player off or praise them to the hilt, but not from a single match.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="GJP"]Put John Ruddy, Fraser Forster or any other good goalkeeper in goal that day and we''d never have lost by anything like that margin.[/quote]
But surely that would depend on whether or not they also had an ''out of character'' horror show doesn''t it?

I''m not claiming Theo was a world class keeper (or even CCC quality for that matter), but ALL keepers have games throughout their career they want to forget, and this was unfortunately one of the poorer showings.

If he''d previously demonstrated a habit of these errors on a consistent basis then I''d totally agree with you, but he didn''t do that in the A League and then wasn''t given a chance to show it was a one-off here.

Apart from maybe someone like Ali Dia (who faked his way into Southampton anyway), I will never judge a player on a single performance - be it fantastic or shockingly bad. If after a number of games nothing has changed, then I''ll happily write a player off or praise them to the hilt, but not from a single match.
[/quote]

Can''t help but think you''re missing the point here. We didn''t let in that many goals that day because Theo had an off day. We let in those goals because Theo was nowhere near the required ability.

Like I tried to say at the time, the soft shot he let in at his near post in the friendly against Wigan was a warning sign. He didn''t have the reach, the speed of movement and the speed of thought to make that save.

Just simply not good enough. If we''d have played him again he''d have cost us again.