Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Clearance but not a big one

I disagree slightly with recent threads saying we should get rid of what seems like 1/3 of our squad. They are not up to premiership level (eg holt, brennan, eddy, fleming) but they did play a big part in getting us promoted. And seeing as we would get little in return for them being sold i dont see the harm in keeping them. Lots of teams stay in the fizzy league after relegation because of selling all their players. So i think the time to offload these players should be when we next come up the the premiership (assuming we bounce back).

A careful pruning of what we have, augmented by some choice new acquisitions and we should come out of the disappointment of relegation with a much better and more balanced squad.

I agree with the principle of not ditching too many of this years squad but I think that the best time to bed new and exciting players in would be during this season, so that the players are well aquainted and settled in, for when/if we bounce straight back up at the conclusion of next season.

Seems daft not to use the coming season as a time to bed new players in and for them to get comfortable playing together.

Dead right and a fizzy league player is a different animal, as we have found out. There is also a case to be made for keeping our out of contract players, but not if they want a signing on fee