Sign in to follow this  
RvWs 4 year contract

Dont really understand the love for Simon Lappin...

I get the whole King of Spain stuff as it''s funny and he really DOES look Spanish [:O]!What I dont get is people calling him a "legend" and such labels like that. If all of our players were fit he wouldnt get on the subs bench which suggests that actually he isnt that good..I guess the whole thing goes back to Rodent freezing him out of the team but then maybe he was left out because he wasnt/isnt good enough..I''m glad he scored last night and everything but he isnt a legend. The fact that he appears to be happy to be in our reserve team picking up his wages isnt something that I can respect to be honest.

"happy in our reserve team picking up his wages" is so f''ing retarded.

D you really think he''s just here for the money? Really? Christ.

Always does a job when he''s called upon.

It is mainly about the roeder thing,  the exclusion and poor treatment;  combined with a positive attitude to working through it that has gained the fans respect.

He plays with an approach many fans like,   he may lack pace and be heavily one footed but he can put in a mean cross,  rarely makes bad errors (if rarely excelling either) gives his all and clearly enjoys doing his job and interacting with the fans.  No, he is not a player who is going to threaten the starting 11 with double figure appearances each season,   but his versatility, low wages & positivity within the club make him pretty much a perfect squad player. 

[quote user="87canary"]"happy in our reserve team picking up his wages" is so f''ing retarded.

D you really think he''s just here for the money? Really? Christ.

Always does a job when he''s called upon.[/quote]Wouldnt get into our first team on a normal basis yet doesnt want to go out on loan?Hmmmm...

He''s a hard worker, was at his best in League One. But played well in the Championship. He likes being here, that may be partially down to the fact were probably paying him more than he could get elsewhere (at least anywhere that would offer him regular first team football).

To be honest, i''m really surprised he doesn''t want to leave. Why doesn''t he want to play first team football? I''m happy for him to be back up, despite not marking Joey Barton for his goal last season, the 2/3 other times he played he was good enough. But if I were him, I would be getting a little fed up, he''s going to have another season with about 5/6 appearances including cup games... He''s good enough to be regular at an average Championship side, or most SPL sides.

He''s not a legend, but he sure is a Cult Hero. All clubs need Cult Heroes.

He''s also a great Pro, a non-fussy type of player, does what''s required of him, he''s a likeable guy to fans and players alike.

He might not be the best player at the club but in my eyes, one of the most valuable.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]He''s a hard worker, was at his best in League One. But played well in the Championship. He likes being here, that may be partially down to the fact were probably paying him more than he could get elsewhere (at least anywhere that would offer him regular first team football).

To be honest, i''m really surprised he doesn''t want to leave. Why doesn''t he want to play first team football?
I''m happy for him to be back up, despite not marking Joey Barton for his goal last season, the 2/3 other times he played he was good enough. But if I were him, I would be getting a little fed up, he''s going to have another season with about 5/6 appearances including cup games... He''s good enough to be regular at an average Championship side, or most SPL sides.[/quote]^^^This.^^^

[quote user="87canary"]So 4 years ago he was offered out on loan, and now you''re slating him for it?!

Brilliant.[/quote]I was just making the point that when he was previously offered out on loan people slated the manager who tried.Simon Lappin isnt a cult hero or a legend or anything like that. He''s just a footballer who isnt good enough for us now yet appears to be happy to sit on the bench and pick up his wages...

Ever heard of loyalty, good job surroundings, security, family ties, ambition to stay and fight for a first team place,  being settled and just being a solid pro??

Thats why he is liked - and he is not a bad player either.   Cult hero and Norwich through and through.

Rock on Lapps!!

I like Lappin dont get me wrong. Can remember a lot of games when the KOS has done very well for us.As much as I like him I just dont understand why he''s happy to be ressie here instead of playing first team football.Maybe it''s just me...?

It certainly is a strange one.....some fans will put him on a pedestal for sticking it out and showing loyalty....others will have a go for eating wages for doing next to nothing.  Can''t win these days eh.Best way to look at it:Seems a perfectly nice guy and i can''t think of a time when he has played that he has shown a complete lack of desire.Young man with a short career, family to look after....so why go to a league one club and wages (or lower SPL club and same wages) when could have financial security in a far nicer place to bring up a young family.Speaking honestly, I don''t think he is really good enough to be playing week in week out but then he isn''t! As a squad filler he is fine.  There are plenty of other players in the current squad who aren''t really Prem standard either and yet not a lot is said about them.  Jackson for example is the Lappin of the forward line....good to fill in for injuries/cup games/bench duty but shouldn''t be anywhere near a regular starter for a side trying to become a stable Premier League club.  The man will score goals of course....hard for a striker not to, and I certainly can''t knock his desire/work ethic....Saying that of course the same can be said of K.Smith, C.Martin,E.Ward (tho he gets a lot of unfair stuff) and I would say B.Johnson (hope Tettey is the real deal!).It is a sad side to this board that people feel the need to criticise everything in every last detail.Whilst all of the above mentioned are City players then it is the supporters'' duty to give them their full backing.No one knows the ins and outs of who has been offered out, had training ground bust ups or declined transfers.....

I think lots of fans resonate with Simon Lappin’s personal beliefs & values. Given the chance to play the game in yellow many would probably conduct themselves in a similar manner.

I think the reasons he is well liked are mainly to do with his attitude. He works really hard, he works for others in the team, and he showed incredible resilience to being singled out 3 times by Glenn Roeder and being told he would never play for the club again.He''s not good enough to be a regular premiership player, no doubt, but he''s good enough to do a job when called upon. He''s settled here, his mates are here, and if he''s happy for that to be the situation, and the club are happy to pay him the amount he''s currently on, then that''s fair enough.It''s not like the club are trying to get rid but he''s staying put just because he''s on a packet.

GH3YC - "I like Lappin dont get me wrong. Can remember a lot of games when the KOS has done very well for us. As much as I like him I just dont understand why he''s happy to be ressie here instead of playing first team football. Maybe it''s just me...?"

When you are happy where you are, why is there any need to move?   I stayed in a job for many years despite opportunities else where which might have - or might not have - led to better things.   There is nothing wrong with staying where you are - even if you are not top of the pile in the pecking order.     There are always challenges, wherever you are.      And who says he is happy being a reserve?    He may find the personal challenge of  competing for a first team place an every day reason for being here - and his reward of perhaps five or six appearances in a premiership team a season is sufficient motivation for him.     Its the top level in English football after all.............

Christ OP, what planet are you on ?!The bloke always and I mean ALWAYS gives 110%Can pretty much play any where on the pitch Proper team / squad playerReally don''t feel Lappin is your average "Ill sit in the reserves kinda guy" + what kinda money do you think the bloke is on ? I can guarantee he is in the lower 50% of earners at the club.Lappin is the epitomy of what the modern footballer is NOTLoyal, Hard Working and a Good Role model

+ did I mention he''s next in line for the Spanish throne.........

Every club needs players like Simon Lappin. If everyone in his situation did as you said and leave then we would most certainly have a very empty bench/reserve team, and when injuries occur to our "star" players you''d be replacing them with youngsters with no experience.For me the man is a role model to young players everywhere, he puts in 110% every time, rarely puts a foot wrong, fills any position asked to by the gaffer and despite being told to clear out he stuck around and earned his place within the squad. If any of the youngsters in our squad learn from his hard working attitude alone then he is worth the salary he is currently on.

A club is more than the 11 players that are on the pitch. Simon Lappin trains with the youth team every other day (all age groups) as well as doing first team training. He''s popular with the players and has never let us down. A club is more than a team; a club needs players that are happy to sit out and not be pushing for a starting place, Lappin will do a good job in defence or midfield. I wish people would understand that having a squad full of players with loads of ability isn''t a good way to form a successful club (unless you''re doing a Man City and are buying the worlds best).

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]He plays with an approach many fans like,   he may lack pace and be heavily one footed but he can put in a mean cross,  rarely makes bad errors (if rarely excelling either) gives his all and clearly enjoys doing his job and interacting with the fans.  No, he is not a player who is going to threaten the starting 11 with double figure appearances each season,   but his versatility, low wages & positivity within the club make him pretty much a perfect squad player. [/quote]Couldn''t agree more ZLF.

maybe has a family here, likes it here, doesnt want to move etc etc,

Give the guy a break, why is there so many negative posts about so many of our players, If i search hard enough I could prob find a negative post about each and everyone of them.

We do have some shocking so so called supporters note....support!!!

he NEVER lets us down!! How many games did we lose last season when he played in the Prem? NONE!!! He is a handy back up player to have

He cost us peanuts and has more than repaid that modest fee. He has been a good servant to the club.Well done King of Spain.

Good clubman who maybe should of looked for a move by now so he can actually play a decent amount of 1st team games before his time comes!

That said when/if he leaves Norwich he won''t be going to a better club thats for sure!

He went on loan to Motherwell in the SPL a few years back and actually scored the winner in a 1-0 win at Celtic!

A loan move to a Champiosnhip/League 1 club would do him a lot of good!

If my wife is to be believed, we keep him just to drive up sales of NCFC calendars.PHWOOAAAR![img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tIO2gDZjJB4/SwJrmY6XBFI/AAAAAAAACj4/xZQBGvhS0d8/s1600/DAV_7474.jpg width="600" height="400"[/img]

[quote user="fried_chicken"]A club is more than the 11 players that are on the pitch. Simon Lappin trains with the youth team every other day (all age groups) as well as doing first team training. He''s popular with the players and has never let us down. A club is more than a team; a club needs players that are happy to sit out and not be pushing for a starting place, Lappin will do a good job in defence or midfield. I wish people would understand that having a squad full of players with loads of ability isn''t a good way to form a successful club (unless you''re doing a Man City and are buying the worlds best).[/quote]This, again and again. By the OP''s argument we would never fill a reserve goalkeeper''s slot. The work contributing to the success of the first team stretches across the whole squad (even if some never play on a Saturday), who do the regular first teamers practice against all week to improve their game do we think? And he''s the damn King of Spain so back away from the Internet sunshine.. ;)