Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

Building for the Championship

"Vaughan did have a chance to show what he could do, but kept getting injured, as he has done throughout his career. He was reputedly on high wages. And his scoring record on loan to Palace was nothing special, from memory no better than CMS''s."

So the answer is to pi$$ £3 million plus up the wall on a striker that at the highest level he has ever played, A level one tier lower managed 9 goals in a season? I''d rather have saved the money and taken the chance on Vaughan not getting injured if it''s all the same. His interview didn''t sound like he was the one that instigated the move to me.

[quote user="JF"] So the answer is to pi$$ £3 million plus up the wall on a striker that at the highest level he has ever played, A level one tier lower managed 9 goals in a season?[/quote]
In an average team that didn''t play to his strengths. Most Brighton fans'' opinions that I''ve read are saying that he looked a much better player when they changed their style to suit him. CMS is not suited to the lone striker role (which is how he was deployed last season as far as I can gather), in the same way Holt isn''t suited to it. Both look toothless on their own up front, but give them some support and they will bang the goals in. Holt scored 25 in 108 games at league one level with Forest because the team didn''t play to his strengths and played him out of position on the wing, that''s not much better than CMS''s strike rate last season. Stats don''t tell the full story.
But why let context get in the way of having a negative, uninformed rant hey? 

If we were to sign CMS the last thing I would expect to see would be him playing as the lone striker. He would surely be behind GH and Moro for that position. Were he to sign he would be played as a second striker, which is the position he played at Posh when he poached many goals. He has been played as a lone striker often at Brighton, a role he obviously does not relish and one he has not excelled in.

If Hughton thinks he is worth a punt then I am not going to question his reasoning.

This is, of course, if there is any truth in all this anyway.

"So the answer is to pi$$ £3 million plus up the wall on a striker that at the highest level he has ever played, A level one tier lower managed 9 goals in a season?"

Actually, their goalscoring records in the Championship are about the same (Vaughan managed 10 in 40, CMS scored 10 in 43). CMS''s was marginally better given thay he was playing in a side that finished bottom, and about 15 points from safety.

"I''d rather have saved the money and taken the chance on Vaughan not getting injured if it''s all the same."

McNally may have had some input on this (as with Whitbread). Vaughan''s wages were reputedly high, probably higher than CMS''s would be, and so CMS would in fact save money.

"His interview didn''t sound like he was the one that instigated the move to me."

I didn''t see/hear the interview, but we simply don''t know one way or the other.

It may be that Hughton thinks that CMS will play "his" system better, or rates him more as a player, or that any number of other factors may be at play.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

If we were to sign CMS the last thing I would expect to see would be him playing as the lone striker. He would surely be behind GH and Moro for that position. Were he to sign he would be played as a second striker, which is the position he played at Posh when he poached many goals. He has been played as a lone striker often at Brighton, a role he obviously does not relish and one he has not excelled in.

If Hughton thinks he is worth a punt then I am not going to question his reasoning.

This is, of course, if there is any truth in all this anyway.

[/quote]
Spot on.We created a myriad of chances vs QPR, if we''d had a true poacher then I think we would have nicked it. We''re not clinical enough atm and that needs to change. Whatever else CMS does or doesn''t do, he''s undeniably got that poacher instinct and to be frank, if he''s putting the ball in the net from 2 yards and we''re winning games because of it, I couldn''t care less if he does nothing else all game.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]If we sign CMS then it does appear that my fears that we are secretly preparing for life in the Championship are true.[/quote]I think that might be a bit too ambitious.  We''d be better off consolidating this season in 17th place, then going all out for relegation next season with another chunk of Sky money that we could throw at genuine potential signings like Alan Hutton, Nigel Reo-Coker, Ivan Klasnic, players who could really take us to the next level down.

Indy, why are you happy that we signed Butterfield and Bunn from Championship clubs but not CMS? Doesn''t make sense especially as Butterfield was injured!!!

What an incredibly stupid, paranoid little world you live in.[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]If we sign CMS then it does appear that my fears that we are secretly preparing for life in the Championship are true.[/quote]