Sign in to follow this  
Albion fan

Craig Mackail Smith

for my own opinion...provided its not too "illogical".....I would have liked to have thought that with allowing Vaughan to leave that there would be a masterplan behind  the scenes underway with only 24 hours until the window shuts.  I would have hoped it might have involved someone a bit better than Mackail-Smith....but this close to the deadline, I'' d take him over no-one.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

think we''ve all got the drift we''ve "kick it off"....anyone that differs in opinion (whichever way the wind happens to be blowing), would appear to be incapable of rational thought/stupid/thick *delete as applicable and anything of that ilk..........card well and truly marked.

[/quote]
No, as I''ve explained previously, informed opinions I don''t have a problem with. People spouting absolute nonsense I have a problem with. People stating that CMS would be a disaster and certain relegation as if it is fact falls into the nonsense category. Anyone capable of thinking for themselves would understand that. By the same token anyone saying he would get 20+ goals guaranteed (not that I have seen anyone saying this) would fall into the nonsense category. 
I don''t really have an opinion on this one way or another - I think CMS is an underwhelming signing if it happens compared to some of the names we''ve seen linked, however, if you think about it logically, it makes a lot of sense, because he is similar to Jackson, but stronger, taller and slightly more clinical, and there seems to be a consensus that we play better with Jackson in the team because of his work rate and movement dragging defenders out of position and creating space. He lacks the clinical edge to be prolific at this level. CMS on the other hand, has that poacher''s instinct and clinical touch that we lack. So to be honest it could go either way, he could be great, he could be crap. As you should be able to see, it is not because people''s opinions differ, it is the combined effect of slating the guy as not good enough before he even signs for us, and not understanding what kind of player CMS is/not knowing ANYTHING about him (as whoever compared him to Morison clearly doesn''t, they literally couldn''t have more different styles).
All I''ve seen all day is "Only 9 goals in the Championship for Brighton". But anyone capable of thinking, can look a bit deeper and see the reasons why he may not have scored as many goals as he is capable of last year, and in a system that suits his style better, such as a 442 playing off Holty, he could be lethal.
Anyone who cannot comprehend that and definitively states he will be $hit and condemns us (7th highest scorers in the Prem last season) to relegation because we sign him is thick/stupid/incapable of rational thought. We still have a full squad of other players who are more than capable of getting the goals to keep us up, and defensively we should be much tighter this season which will help with our points tally.

You have summarised his plus points ie harrying Defenders but surely this should be one of a whole raft of attributes that a signing in the PL should have.

We are not an attraction to a proven big name but if I could draw a shopping analogy we know we can''t afford to shop in Harrods but surely we can do better than Asda? (Apologies to any ASDA Workers)

militantcanary, at least your list is less implausible than the "Montero, Giovanni Dos Santos, Abdellaoue, Jackson Martinez, Briand, Agbonlahor, Javier Hernandez (loan), Bebe, Gael Kakuta, Nilmar, Bendtner & Aubameyang" we had on another thread.

There are supposed to be about 15 clubs after Guidetti.

Emnes is realistic, but I haven''t seen enough of him to judge him as a player.

[quote user="militantcanary"]Ok

On loan - Park or Guidetti would be acceptable

Permanents -Ameobi, Emnes or even Owen

Abroad is more difficult but how about Ollic possibly available from Bayern Munich, the two young strikers from Caen and the Norwegian we have been linked with?[/quote]Not to poop on your parade but;Park has signed for CeltaGuidetti is still recovering from his virus - when he can return to football is still unknownEmnes is hardly prolificOwen is a no go really, will be injured quicker than VaughanNorwegian guy - Abdellaoue played for Hannover tonight in Europa League and has only ever been linked to Norwich via Twitter - he turned down a move to Lazio alreadyDon''t know who you mean with young Caen strikers - maybe the guy who recently transferred to Milan.The only name you mentioned that would be possible is Ameobi - and he would be at least £3m - £4m and is barely a clinical striker - pretty similar to Holt and Morison in my opinion.As you can see, finding a cheap, available and decent striker is harder than it first appears.

[quote user="militantcanary"]Ok

On loan - Park or Guidetti would be acceptable

Permanents -Ameobi, Emnes or even Owen

Abroad is more difficult but how about Ollic possibly available from Bayern Munich, the two young strikers from Caen and the Norwegian we have been linked with?[/quote]Wouldn''t go anywhere near Ameobi. Not great at Newcastle and Owen has been ruled out. Emnes is okay but not significantly better than CMS imo. Park & Guidetti would be great, don''t know about Ollic or the two young lads but Abdellaoue is looking likely to stay at Hannover.

£3 million bid rejected according to the Mail , £3 million we must be bloody desperate , Bit of good news to end the day with anyway.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

think we''ve all got the drift we''ve "kick it off"....anyone that differs in opinion (whichever way the wind happens to be blowing), would appear to be incapable of rational thought/stupid/thick *delete as applicable and anything of that ilk..........card well and truly marked.

[/quote]
I don''t really have an opinion on this one way or another - I think CMS is an underwhelming signing if it happens compared to some of the names we''ve seen linked, however, if you think about it logically, it makes a lot of sense, because he is similar to Jackson, but stronger, taller and slightly more clinical, and there seems to be a consensus that we play better with Jackson in the team because of his work rate and movement dragging defenders out of position and creating space. He lacks the clinical edge to be prolific at this level. CMS on the other hand, has that poacher''s instinct and clinical touch that we lack. So to be honest it could go either way, he could be great, he could be crap. As you should be able to see, it is not because people''s opinions differ, it is the combined effect of slating the guy as not good enough before he even signs for us, and not understanding what kind of player CMS is/not knowing ANYTHING about him (as whoever compared him to Morison clearly doesn''t, they literally couldn''t have more different styles).
[/quote]Closer style to Morison than Jackson as he doesn''t even have the pace or Morison, let alone Jackson.Sorry but I don''t agree with you on the style of play of CMS and I don''t agree that CMS has a poachers instinct either. He could sign for us and it could work. Let''s face it we have signed plenty of other donkeys who have done ok for us in the past.

[quote user="Trawlerboy"]Closer style to Morison than Jackson as he doesn''t even have the pace or Morison, let alone Jackson.Sorry but I don''t agree with you on the style of play of CMS and I don''t agree that CMS has a poachers instinct either. He could sign for us and it could work. Let''s face it we have signed plenty of other donkeys who have done ok for us in the past.[/quote]
Lol. 
So you think CMS, known for his work rate, pace , hassling, running at and taking on defenders and being in the right place in the right time is similar to Morison, not Cinnamon? Are you actually serious? 
(Btw he is far quicker than Morison, it''s not even close, I don''t know how you would come to the conclusion he is slower than Moro if you''d seen him play, that''s a really weird statement)

Most people view CMS as a target-man (Holt-esque) maybe because of his prolific partnership with Aaron Mclean who was a short, nippy striker.

He''s actually closer to Jackson in terms of playing style due to his work-rate, constant running and harassing defenders.

He''s decent at championship level but won''t improve upon what we have especially if Hughton is looking to play 4-2-3-1 (as stated by Tettey).

In this formation it''s vital that the central attacking midfielder scores 10+goals similar to what Michu looks capable of doing for Swansea. It''s imperative whoever plays there (howson / butterfield / hoolahan / snodgrass) gets into scoring positions and more importantly converts them.