Sign in to follow this  
Albion fan

Craig Mackail Smith

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Canarypops"]We have to be looking at better strikers than this look at our income some fans are so easy going he will be like Martin and Morrison useless and we will go down[/quote]

If he''s like Morison and scores 9 goals in the Premier League I''ll be happy.

I think everyone has been over dosing on crappy Twitter ''ITK'' sources and started to believe we were going to sign some exotic striker who''ll score 20 goals and cost £500k - these players just don''t exist. So many posters on here are suggesting that Norwich ''sign someone exciting'' but who is that? Hughton could go off to the Czech Republic and splash a few million on an ''exciting'' striker who we''ve never heard of, but looks great on YouTube but turns out to be f''ing Goran Maric again.

Lambert willfully neglected to get any decent scouting sorted out in Europe over the last 3 years and we are now paying the price - scouting isn''t just about spotting players, it''s also about establishing contacts with agents. Swansea are having great success signing players from Spain because Laudrup was a manager and player there and comes with an establish contact list - unfortunatley there is no one like this at Norwich.

[/quote]

At last, the voice of reason speaks amongst the shrill bleatings of the angry asnd the ignorant.

Lambert was a brilliant manager for us.  He will always have my gratitude for what he did.

But he was not perfect.  One of his limitations which was perhaps born of the dire state of the club when he took over was his short termism.   He used what he knew but he was not interested in youth development and he was not interested in European players.   Consequently, we don''t have talented young players coming through and we don''t have European links.

Hughton is interested in both but you can''t rebuild overnight.  It will take time and in the meantime, Hughton is building a squad that is competent and effective.  It is not as exciting as some and certainly not as exciting as we would likebut if we chose for a short while to live in the real world (difficult for some I agree), then it is about achieving  what is possible for this season. 

I cannot see how anyone could believe that a squad with Snodgrass and McCail Smith has fewer goals in it than one with Wilbraham and Vaughan.  

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Canarypops"]We have to be looking at better strikers than this look at our income some fans are so easy going he will be like Martin and Morrison useless and we will go down[/quote]

I think everyone has been over dosing on crappy Twitter ''ITK'' sources and started to believe we were going to sign some exotic striker who''ll score 20 goals and cost £500k - these players just don''t exist. So many posters on here are suggesting that Norwich ''sign someone exciting'' but who is that? Hughton could go off to the Czech Republic and splash a few million on an ''exciting'' striker who we''ve never heard of, but looks great on YouTube but turns out to be f''ing Goran Maric again.

Lambert willfully neglected to get any decent scouting sorted out in Europe over the last 3 years and we are now paying the price - scouting isn''t just about spotting players, it''s also about establishing contacts with agents. Swansea are having great success signing players from Spain because Laudrup was a manager and player there and comes with an establish contact list - unfortunatley there is no one like this at Norwich.

[/quote]

Isn''t Ewan Chester now meant to be that man, Bethnal? Early days, but we have already this summer signed two players from overseas leagues. As to Mackail-Smith, one oddity is that we could have bid for him at any point this summer. IF we have now made a bid it might suggest that Hughton has failed to get his primary targets (loan deal from a top six club?) and has fallen back on this option.

[/quote]

Chester has been at the club about 2 - 3 months - when he left Norwich under Lambert he was never properly replaced. These things take time to build (and I doubt Chester was working much in Europe during his time at Birmingham and their transfer embargo).

Garrido has an English agent from his time at Manchester City and Tettey was being touted around clubs by Rennes. These weren''t hard finds (and I have a feeling there wasn''t that much competition, Tettey had one other offer from a team in Turkey).

Hopefully Chester is building something, but I think everyone who was expecting wonders straight away may have got themselves a little carried away. All these lists of obscure African strikers playing France etc.

[quote user="Hog"]exactly a signing made out of panic[/quote]

Yes it may well be a fallback option but then things don;t always go as planned. We may have been priced out of moves or found our targets going to other clubs. If we are going for him in those circumstances though I can;t believe we will be shelling out a fortune.

Simple question for you though. would we be better off going into the next 4 months of the season with striker options of Holt, Morison, Jackson, Martin or striker options of Holt, Morison, Jackson, Martin and Makail-Smith?

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

At last, the voice of reason speaks amongst the shrill bleatings of the angry asnd the ignorant.

Lambert was a brilliant manager for us.  He will always have my gratitude for what he did.

But he was not perfect.  One of his limitations which was perhaps born of the dire state of the club when he took over was his short termism.   He used what he knew but he was not interested in youth development and he was not interested in European players.   Consequently, we don''t have talented young players coming through and we don''t have European links.

Hughton is interested in both but you can''t rebuild overnight.  It will take time and in the meantime, Hughton is building a squad that is competent and effective.  It is not as exciting as some and certainly not as exciting as we would likebut if we chose for a short while to live in the real world (difficult for some I agree), then it is about achieving  what is possible for this season. 

I cannot see how anyone could believe that a squad with Snodgrass and McCail Smith has fewer goals in it than one with Wilbraham and Vaughan.  

[/quote]

Agreed. Lambert is the ultimate short termist and that is because the job was always a means to an end for him - that end being jumping ship to what he saw as a bigger job. We saw this very clearly in his disgraceful attitude to the leicester game in the cup. Great first team manager. Not a club man.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Isn''t Ewan Chester now meant to be that man, Bethnal? Early days, but we have already this summer signed two players from overseas leagues. As to Mackail-Smith, one oddity is that we could have bid for him at any point this summer. IF we have now made a bid it might suggest that Hughton has failed to get his primary targets (loan deal from a top six club?) and has fallen back on this option.

[/quote]

We do have scouting network in place opperating in the scandanavian leagues.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Think back, think most supporters wanted him here a year ago. Think it could be a good move[/quote]

I never wanted him here as he is a headless chicken and he has done little at Brighton.

[/quote]

Flippin ''ell, if headless chickens can score 35 goals in a season, Coventry better drop Cody, and take an axe to the closest Farm!

Dear me, never come across someone with so little football knowledge as yourself.

Now being reported on the breaking news bit of sky sports news at the bottom of the screen that we have made an undisclosed bid- i guess this rumour has substance

Brighton must be so happy, bought a player for over two million, is a relative flop at the higher level and then they manage to sell him for a profit to a gullible Premiership club a year later.

I was very positive about this season but this proposed signing will make me very very worried about our ambition

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Hog"]exactly a signing made out of panic[/quote]

Simple question for you though. would we be better off going into the next 4 months of the season with striker options of Holt, Morison, Jackson, Martin or striker options of Holt, Morison, Jackson, Martin and Makail-Smith?

[/quote]

Nail on head - we do need another striking option;  they change games and 4 will not be available for every game until Jan.  He is underwhelming but offers movement which we need and is an option. 

Nearer the bottom of the barrell though.

[quote user="Hog"]

Brighton must be so happy, bought a player for over two million, is a relative flop at the higher level and then they manage to sell him for a profit to a gullible Premiership club a year later.

I was very positive about this season but this proposed signing will make me very very worried about our ambition

[/quote]What makes you say it''s a profit? Not acceptable for you to say "It must be because...." Facts please.

Gone are the days when you could go to Poland or the Czech republic and spend 500K on a decent player! Established young player usually go to the Bundasliga, Italy, or Spain now and command the same price as other international players.

But saying that is it not better to use up and coming youngstes in the youth team scoring goals and impressing than wasting2-3 million on a 28 year old gamble as we can''t afford anything better?

Promote Loza and put the money in the bank, better result all round as CMS has no premiership experience, Loza must play training games with the other playes in the Norwich squad, would be given more time by the fans to succeed!

[quote user="Hog"]

[/quote]

1. How do you know they will make a profit (if indeed this happens at all)?

2. Perhaps, the signing of a player who has not set the world on fire gaolscoring wise in the last 12 months shows that we are not just looking at stats to choose our targets but more looking at players who might fit into our side and work alongside Holt. Poyet has recently said they (and he) have only just learnt to play to CMS''s strengths and that has coincided with his form improving markedly.

I''m not doing somersaults over this either but we are not selling anyone to fund this move. We are not getting weaker because of it. I personally think Holt and Jackson are ok as a front two. Adding some reasonable back-up is not the end of the world.

[quote user="Hog"]

[/quote]

Absolutely no evidence of that is there.

The whole season isn''t going to collapse because we are signing CMS, get over yourself. We all wanted a big name striker to come in, but that isn''t always possible - I''d rather the club went for someone like CMS than blowing a large amount of money on a player not properly scouted out - or signed off the back of YouTube videos. It''s easy to come on here and say ''Norwich should sign x or y'' but none of us have to put our neck on the line and sign over the money to make it happen - staking our job and reputation on it.

Come on Hogesar.....  Goals in league 1 can mean very little even to a players ability to score in the Championship.  Just look at all the goals Chris Martin and Craig Mackail Smith got in League 1....  Neither player has proven themselves by scoring reguarly in the Championship.

Whilst I understand the lack of enthusiasm from people regarding the possible CMS signing, I''m not prepared to throw a wobbly and panic. I actually find this very similar to the Bassong debate - we (the fans) cry out for pace at the back and whinge a bit when we get it. Now we''re look into purchasing a striker who may not be renowned for scoring for fun, but is known for his very high work rate and fantastic attitude.

Do we know that this is the only striker we''re looking at? Who''s to say that CH isn''t thinking about moving Chris Martin on? Or even Morison at a push. I for one didn''t see the Vaughan loan coming, and CH didn''t say a word about that before it happened.

This may be our second season in the Premier League, but our budget isn''t suddenly that of an established mid-table team. We''ll do the best with what we have, because that''s what we do. So far, we''ve done it well.

Please no! would cost a few millions would rather throw that money at someone who''s scored double figures in a foreign league, or at least get someone who has scored double figures in the champ!

Some posters seem to think we have a limitless amount of money to spend, on transfers and wages. We don''t. It is all a balancing act. So far we have spent serious money, purely in terms of transfer fees, on six players (Bassong, Bunn, Snodgrass, Butterfield, Tettey and Turner), with two "frees" I suspect most posters here would simply have not believed at the start of the summer that we would get in eight players with the likelihood of one more. But that only leaves so much, especially if Hughton is being sensible and putting a significant amount aside for the January window.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?254918-Norwich-interested-in-CMS-(merged)/page7

These are the Brighton''s fan''s views, they aren''t happy to say the least.

Just playing devil''s advocate here against the anti-CMS brigade:

For those citing CMS''s "advanced age" of 28 as a reason not to sign him, it might be worth bearing in mind that he was a very late starter (bit like Grant Holt, Morison and Jackson), and did not start playing league football of any kind until 2007.

Also, the 2009-2010 Championship season in which he scored "only" 10 goals, Peterborough finished bottom by miles (15 points from safety). Common sense suggests that this must surely equate to a higher figure in a mid-table side, and an even higher one in a good Championship side.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Come on Hogesar.....  Goals in league 1 can mean very little even to a players ability to score in the Championship.  Just look at all the goals Chris Martin and Craig Mackail Smith got in League 1....  Neither player has proven themselves by scoring reguarly in the Championship.[/quote]

Oh don''t get me wrong, I''m not saying he''s going to be our new hero who fires us to a midtable prem finish, I was simply making an observation that someone who consistently praised and admired Cody McDonald to the point it must have been bordering on illegal harassment - thinks that a player with a much more proven scoring record is a `headless chicken`.

As for Martin, he might be a lot of things but he certainly isn''t a `headless chicken` either.

I fully agree with Bethnal - if we do sign CMS it would suggest we haven''t found a suitable target within our budget - if this is scouting related or what is irrelevant in relation to CMS - with him we know what we''re going to get - an extra forward. That can''t do any harm in my book.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Think back, think most supporters wanted him here a year ago. Think it could be a good move[/quote]

I never wanted him here as he is a headless chicken and he has done little at Brighton.

[/quote] Flippin ''ell, if headless chickens can score 35 goals in a season, Coventry better drop Cody, and take an axe to the closest Farm! Dear me, never come across someone with so little football knowledge as yourself.[/quote]

OK, I bow to your better judgement and feel reassured that CMS will be prolific in the Prem.   

Indeed it has been reported that Hughton wants to play 4-2-3-1

I would suggest either with or without CMS we do not have the striker to play this role. So maybe there is someone else.

This CMS news conjures up an image of Hughton sitting in Lamberts old office, with a chalk board mounted on the wall with names written on it from last season. cMS, Snoddy...

Bethnal Y&G is spot on – who would you rather have, and when did CMS become useless? He himself has said he struggled with Brighton''s passing style and took a while to get used to it, but his goals appear to have come in bursts, mostly at the beginning and end of the season, as well as him bagging a couple early this season, so who''s to say he just didn''t have a lean spell in the middle of last season which he has learnt from – and as the Brighton fan says, he was often up on his own ... he certainly won''t have had the likes of Pilkington and Snodgrass working for him, or an option like Grant with him, creating space for the sort of running striker he is.

And look at who Lambert is signing for Villa – Jordan Bowery: he is young of course, but only scored 12 in 40 for Chesterfield last year. If I was a Villa fan I''d wonder how this £400k signing is going to change anything but I suppose they haven''t yet learnt the mantra In Lambert We Trust.

The point is, Hughton doesn''t have Lambert''s blank cheque yet, and people are very quick to criticise, assuming we''re on a downward slide. I had my doubts at first (in fact I didn''t want Hughton at all) and as the summer went on it all became increasingly dubious. But the past fortnight has impressed me – there has always been a plan but it''s just bloody hard to execute in the weird world of a transfer window that barely opens until the very end of the process.

Bassong, Tenney (ok, no idea about him yet), Snodgrass, CMS and Garrido – all potentially seriously good additions, not just to the squad but to the team. And Bunn makes sense too – no more hoping the kids are up to it but never giving them a chance to really find out if they''ve got what it takes.

Fingers crossed Turner will prove a good deal in the end too. My boss is a Sunderland fan and was amazed O''Neil let him go.

Not sure how vital a new striker is, if, as Paddy Davitt''s tweets are to be understood, we are going to play 4-2-3-1 this season. We already had an array of attacking midfielders before the summer, and have added to it with Butterfield and Snodgrass, all of whom can support the lone striker. The most important signing made was retaining Holt''s services. Then with Jackson and Morison we can go to a 4-4-2 if required.