Sign in to follow this  
Albion fan

Craig Mackail Smith

Not at all happy, buying a 28 year old Lower League striker when we could be being a little more adventurous and looking a little further afield....

Really wanted this guy after his season in league 1, have to say i saw very little of him last season though, although i still expect him to do a job in the prem. Slightly concerned at the price we would have to pay for him though
At least it''s not Hooper, i was dreading that rumour coming true.
Anyway i expect ''sky sports understands...'' means one of their reporters has read the pinkun

I really hate how once people decide that a player we''ve been linked to isnt good enough, they go on and on about how if said player does sign that we''ll go down.Why dont folk realise that we arent loaded and that actually, this isnt football manager!

What if he turns out to be as good as Pilkington and Bennet then?

He played most of last season as the lone striker and still hit 10 goals in a team who''s main objective was the stay in the league.

Don''t write him off yet, we dont need another Morison hating brigade.

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Sky Sports understands Norwich have tabled a bid for Brighton striker Craig Mackail-Smith, who was previously linked with Leeds.

wow, another underwhelming transfer.
[/quote]

That''s fair enough but I feel, under the present circumstances, whereby we are desperate for a new face up front, that he is worth a punt.

Ok, he didn''t set the woods on fire at Brighton and his reputation waned. There could be many, many reasons for this as we know full well that some moves (clubs) don''t suit some players. As I say, worth a punt and at a lot less than Fry''s initial valuations. 

There has been a number of threads on here since we were last interested in CMS saying how we dodged a bullet with that one , now we are in for him everyone is bigging him up . Sorry but Premiership clubs should be aiming for better , i just hope the class striker will be coming tomorrow , if not we should be odds on for the drop because that is where we are heading .

Just for the record: I would be happy if we signed him. We need a striker and this guy can score goals. I was bloody worried when people started saying we were NOT gonna sign anyone anymore (City till I die...you were one of them ;-)) ... If we can get the guy at a good price I would be satisfied.

Never scored more than 10 in a season in the CCC at the last two times of asking and at 28 isn''t exactly a player for the future either.I can''t possibly get excited about this as a potential signing, but like any new player would give him a warm welcome and hope for the best...

We need to add another striker. We clearly have been priced out of various other targets (possibly due to wages more than fees) so if the fee is right i''m not completely against this (despite my comments earlier in the thread). He''s not the kind of step up in quality I would have liked but it would add to our striking options and with his reputed work ethic he could give our front line added nuisance factor. Given how many fans moan at Morison for his work ethic i suspect CMS will very quickly become popular if he does sign.

Bloody hell Ncfc, I''m not the most positive of blokes re all things yellas but you are something else. Your prediction of being relegated has been included in every post for what seems the last two months. Lighten up mate and where is the proof that Brighton want to get rid?

The more I think about CMS the more I think he can do a good job for us.

I actually wouldn''t be unhappy with this. The guy has pace, there''s no disputing that, he''s not afraid to run at players and I think he would actually be half decent playing alongside someone like Holty. I''ve surprised myself by thinking this wouldn''t be a terrible signing. A little underwhelming and certainly not my first choice, but I think he could be decent with us.

If he comes to replace Martin then fair enough but I would still like to see some real money spent tomorrow....

We have to be looking at better strikers than this look at our income some fans are so easy going he will be like Martin and Morrison useless and we will go down

[quote user="Ncfc"]There has been a number of threads on here since we were last interested in CMS saying how we dodged a bullet with that one , now we are in for him everyone is bigging him up . Sorry but Premiership clubs should be aiming for better , i just hope the class striker will be coming tomorrow , if not we should be odds on for the drop because that is where we are heading .
[/quote]

I''m sure you''re a good bloke, but honestly your post makes you sound like such a prick... why don’t you jog on and go support one of the ''big'' teams who can afford to chuck 20m+ on players, instead of constantly predicting our downfall.... its so boring!

We looked a proper outfit against QPR and there was nothing during that 90mins that made me think we are bottom 3 club, we have brought some quality players in over the summer and we have a fantastic manager in Chris Hughton, we have a CEO that understands business and a board that loves this club... if it was a choice of a poor Delia Smith or a rich Tony Fernandes, I know which one I would take! Sadly its fans like you that what to constantly undermine all the good work that club has done over the past few years!

I never rant, but this really pissed me off - anyway i have counted to 10 and now off to get my lunch!

[quote user="Canarypops"]He will not do a job in the prem are you on crack ,brighton want rid cause he was useless[/quote]

I''m not actually and neither, I should think, are any of the other posters on this Board who advocate his signing as a potentially positive thing for our Club at this moment in time.

Why is it that some of the babies on this Board have to turn even a reasonable discussion about the pros and cons of a prospective signing into a vehicle for hurling silly insults.

Much rather a reasoned response such as the poster who followed stating that a Premiership club should look to better players. There is a lot of truth in that, but we are two days away from the deadline and we need a new input into our forward options as soon as is possible. The player ius hardly the disaster being made out either. He may or may not work for us.

CMS would not be my first choice, by a long way, but we need somebody with a bit to offer up front at this moment in time, panic buy or not.

[quote user="Canarypops"]We have to be looking at better strikers than this look at our income some fans are so easy going he will be like Martin and Morrison useless and we will go down[/quote]

If he''s like Morison and scores 9 goals in the Premier League I''ll be happy.

I think everyone has been over dosing on crappy Twitter ''ITK'' sources and started to believe we were going to sign some exotic striker who''ll score 20 goals and cost £500k - these players just don''t exist. So many posters on here are suggesting that Norwich ''sign someone exciting'' but who is that? Hughton could go off to the Czech Republic and splash a few million on an ''exciting'' striker who we''ve never heard of, but looks great on YouTube but turns out to be f''ing Goran Maric again.

Lambert willfully neglected to get any decent scouting sorted out in Europe over the last 3 years and we are now paying the price - scouting isn''t just about spotting players, it''s also about establishing contacts with agents. Swansea are having great success signing players from Spain because Laudrup was a manager and player there and comes with an establish contact list - unfortunatley there is no one like this at Norwich.

[quote user="Canarypops"]watch out sensible forum police about no opinions allowed some would call these fans yes men[/quote]

Forum policing? Express all the opinions you like my friend, but try to do it without insulting others.

Forum policing? My bum! 

Give the bloke a chance at least. Him alongside Holt could be a real handful, Didn''t set the world alight last year but was played up front on his own a lot, would of scored a lot more with a bit of assistance.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Canarypops"]We have to be looking at better strikers than this look at our income some fans are so easy going he will be like Martin and Morrison useless and we will go down[/quote]

If he''s like Morison and scores 9 goals in the Premier League I''ll be happy.

I think everyone has been over dosing on crappy Twitter ''ITK'' sources and started to believe we were going to sign some exotic striker who''ll score 20 goals and cost £500k - these players just don''t exist. So many posters on here are suggesting that Norwich ''sign someone exciting'' but who is that? Hughton could go off to the Czech Republic and splash a few million on an ''exciting'' striker who we''ve never heard of, but looks great on YouTube but turns out to be f''ing Goran Maric again.

Lambert willfully neglected to get any decent scouting sorted out in Europe over the last 3 years and we are now paying the price - scouting isn''t just about spotting players, it''s also about establishing contacts with agents. Swansea are having great success signing players from Spain because Laudrup was a manager and player there and comes with an establish contact list - unfortunatley there is no one like this at Norwich.

[/quote]

Isn''t Ewan Chester now meant to be that man, Bethnal? Early days, but we have already this summer signed two players from overseas leagues. As to Mackail-Smith, one oddity is that we could have bid for him at any point this summer. IF we have now made a bid it might suggest that Hughton has failed to get his primary targets (loan deal from a top six club?) and has fallen back on this option.

[quote user="City penguin"]Give the bloke a chance at least. Him alongside Holt could be a real handful, Didn''t set the world alight last year but was played up front on his own a lot, would of scored a lot more with a bit of assistance.[/quote]

Exactly. I would much rather give him a try than shipping out a barrow load of dosh on Andy Carroll, for example.

I still have an inkling for John Guidetti though. It now seems unlikely, but he is the sort of goal poacher who would fit in well with Holt''s style of play IMO.

CMS is a bit risky, but not at great expense. Better footballing minds than us lot possess have fancied him in the past.

As at 13.13 on 30/08/2012 we are desperate for a new face up front. IMHO.

[quote user="H4H"]

[quote user="Ncfc"]There has been a number of threads on here since we were last interested in CMS saying how we dodged a bullet with that one , now we are in for him everyone is bigging him up . Sorry but Premiership clubs should be aiming for better , i just hope the class striker will be coming tomorrow , if not we should be odds on for the drop because that is where we are heading .[/quote]

I''m sure you''re a good bloke, but honestly your post makes you sound like such a prick... why don’t you jog on and go support one of the ''big'' teams who can afford to chuck 20m+ on players, instead of constantly predicting our downfall.... its so boring!

We looked a proper outfit against QPR and there was nothing during that 90mins that made me think we are bottom 3 club, we have brought some quality players in over the summer and we have a fantastic manager in Chris Hughton, we have a CEO that understands business and a board that loves this club... if it was a choice of a poor Delia Smith or a rich Tony Fernandes, I know which one I would take! Sadly its fans like you that what to constantly undermine all the good work that club has done over the past few years!

I never rant, but this really pissed me off - anyway i have counted to 10 and now off to get my lunch! 

You sound just like one of Delias little puppets content with any old sh1te the club serves you up , supporters like you really do deserve Championship football or worse . Mickey Mouse signs you would be the first on here screaming he can do a job for us .

We are supposed to be a Premiership club , CMS would not be a great signing at Championship level , you really do need to wake up to a little realism .

[/quote]

But thats my problem, doing things on the cheap. We shouldn''t have to now, second season in Premiership and we are bringing in a player nobody suggested yesterday. I''m not saying we should go bust but saving our money so we can be debt free next year is not going to be much consolation if we are relegated. The money for Prem clubs next season will dwarf this seasons payout....