Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Pros and Cons of signing CMS

Pros:-International experience-Fairly decent goal scoring record at League One level-PacyCons:-28 so won''t get much better and not much of a prospect-Didn''t set the championship alight at either Brighton or Peterborough-Can''t play up front on his own well so doesn''t really fit into Hughton''s supposed plans much-Not a major improvement on any ofour strikers other than Chris Martin IMO

Weighing up both sides of the argument I think that personally, this is a bad move on our part and that there are better younger prospects abroad for similar prices or at the very least strong loan signings, such as - Montero, Giovanni Dos Santos, Abdellaoue, Jackson Martinez, Briand, Agbonlahor, Javier Hernandez (loan), Bebe, Gael Kakuta, Nilmar, Bendtner & Aubameyang

phew !

thank god someone has posted up a CMS thread

I was wondering where to put my thoughts, and .............

[quote user="City1st"]

phew !

[/quote]Same here, I clicked on it in case it was a different CMS.

And followed by another Pi55y comment by the high and mighty City1st.

You can always count on certian things!

[quote user="City1st"]

phew !

[/quote]The point of the thread was to collect both sides of the argument instead of a pathetic slanging match in the cluttered main thread.

28 years old the same age as Grant Holt when he signed for us? And we all know he never got better did he?

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Pros:
-International experience
-Fairly decent goal scoring record at League One level
-Pacy

Cons:
-28 so won''t get much better and not much of a prospect
-Didn''t set the championship alight at either Brighton or Peterborough
-Can''t play up front on his own well so doesn''t really fit into Hughton''s supposed plans much
-Not a major improvement on any ofour strikers other than Chris Martin IMO

Weighing up both sides of the argument I think that personally, this is a bad move on our part and that there are better younger prospects abroad for similar prices or at the very least strong loan signings, such as - Montero, Giovanni Dos Santos, Abdellaoue, Jackson Martinez, Briand, Agbonlahor, Javier Hernandez (loan), Bebe, Gael Kakuta, Nilmar, Bendtner & Aubameyang
[/quote]

Why dont we see if we can temp Messi with some of Delia''s cooking?

"You can always count on certian things!"

your double standards regarding people being entitled to their opinion, perhaps ?

[quote user="Indy"]

And followed by another Pi55y comment by the high and mighty City1st.

You can always count on certian things!

[/quote]Got a point to be fair though hasnt he?

Does this really warrent a new thread, or can it go in the numerous CMS threads already clogging the board up?

Jackson Martinez went for €8.9 million last month.

Briand went for €6 million in 2010, and at Lyon would be on huge wages.

Javier Hernandez would be on really high wages way, way above our ceiling, so extremely doubtful we could do any sort of loan deal.

Bendtner is quoted as wanting Champions League football.

Agbonlahor is injured, and Lambert would almost certainly want to keep him anyway.

Don''t know much about the others, but those I''ve mentioned are simply not comparable to CMS wage wise, loan fee-wise or transfer fee-wise.

I wasn''t aware Hughton has said anywhere that we will be playing one up top every game this season...

I like him, we lacked a finishing touch in the game against QPR, and when you score 35 goals in any league, you obviously have a clinical finish..

Behind Rooney, RVP and Welbeck in the pecking order and not getting game time. By spending a season on loan at us he could have a stellar season and attract some of the other bigger clubs to clamour ofr his signature at the end of the season. Not any more farfetched than West Ham signing Carroll or Reading signing Pogrebniak(sp?) so not exactly unimaginable but I guess you suffer with a small club mentality like many of our fans sadly.

[quote user="charlie92"]I wasn''t aware Hughton has said anywhere that we will be playing one up top every game this season...

I like him, we lacked a finishing touch in the game against QPR, and when you score 35 goals in any league, you obviously have a clinical finish..[/quote]According to Tettey, Hughton wants to play him in a 4231 formation.

Morison''s Prozac, your tenuous grasp of football finances suggests you have indeed been taking Prozac.

Reading signed Pogrebniak with the aid of Russian billions, or maybe you missed the Russian takeover there. He may have been a free transfer, but he''s on about 3 times our wage ceiling.

West Ham''s Chairman is David Gold, who alone has a family fortune of 360 million, dwarfing our Board''s few million. That helps explain the Carroll loan.

If you still think you''re right, I suggest you get on the phone to McNally now. There are plenty on here who would think your post is deluded.

I''m not disputing that but I felt that we could afford all the players I suggested in one capacity or another, other than Jackson Martinez who I hadn''t realised had just moved.God there are so many arrogant know-it-all a***holes on this forum. FFS we''re all fans of the same f***ing club not against each other so why do so many posters trat everyone else with so much contempt

"why do so many posters trat everyone else with so much contempt" - M Prozac 9.38pm

"but I guess you suffer with a small club mentality like many of our fans sadly" - M Prozac 9.18pm

Two more from your list, Morison''s Prozac:

Kakuta is reportedly wanted by Olympiakos, a Champions League club.

Nilmar is a full Brazilian international.

Of course, they may both want to take an 80-90% wage cut just to come and play for Norwich, but I doubt it. Because that''s what these players will be on. The same sort of level as players at Man City, many of whom are earning 100,000-200,000 a week, while Holty is earning 20,000.

It does rather limit our options, and thinking otherwise is just fanciful.

O P  take no notice of them they only get upset because they have posted there superior opinion on another thread ,and they are worried that it will end up slipping down the board and not enough people will read it [:D]

[quote Morison''s Prozac]

"Behind Rooney, RVP and Welbeck in the pecking order and not getting game time. By spending a season on loan at us he could have a stellar season and attract some of the other bigger clubs to clamour ofr his signature at the end of the season. Not any more farfetched than West Ham signing Carroll or Reading signing Pogrebniak(sp?) so not exactly unimaginable but I guess you suffer with a small club mentality like many of our fans sadly"

Not small club mentality, perhaps our owners just are mindful of becoming the next Pompey?

Old bacon face (Fergie) would have to sanction it but he likes having 4 strikers fighting it out for a starting position (think 1999 when they had Yorke, Cole, Solskjaer and Sheringham when going for the treble). At the moment Rooney is probably out for 2 months, RVP could break at any moment given his injury record and they have just sold Berbatov to Fulham. This leaves Welbeck and Kagawa (as a support striker/attacking mid). They need Hernandez unfortunately. If he went anywhere on loan I''d suspect it would be to a relatively big European club (think Macheda to Sampdoria last season).

Carroll has left because he doesn''t suit Rodgers brand of football remember, Hernandez definitely suits Manchester United''s attacking style of play.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]He bagged 35 goals at Posh in the championship!! Fairly impressive...[/quote]Posh were in League 1 when CMS scored those goals. It was the same season we were promoted from the Championship and were heavily linked with him as a loan to see us over the line.

Hi.  I do not post here often but read the board regularly.  I''ve been a bit concerned and quite angered by the negativity regarding this potential transfer but have tried to summarise my thoughts in a rational way below for anyone that cares. It''s probably all been said before but here goes:

Pros:

£3m - £4m is around the half the price of Jordan Rhodes who has a similar goal to games ratio as CMS did at L1 level but has never played in the Championship.

Many wanted Rhodes and although he is younger, I beleive CMS would offer a lot more all round for half the price. 

Has good range attributes: Realtively pacy, strong, determined, hardworking, eye for goal. Note: I''m basing this on having watched him several times LIVE at London Road in his Peterborough days both in the Championship and L1. I have not seen him play for Brighton other than on highlights.

Adds something different to our attacking options from what we''ve already got.

A good runner who would hassle defences and make clever runs opening up the play for others.

Best when played off another striker and may thrive off Holt/Morisons style of play.

Potentially more influential than Wilbraham who he is effectively replacing in the front line.

Late starter but with lots of experience, albeit at a lower level and potentially a good few years left before retirement - ''a good age'' as Hughton would say.

Cons:

Goalscoring record at Championship level is not great, however by all accounts this seems to be due to having played in a very side (Peterborough relegation season - finished bottom by a mile) or spending a lot of tie up front alone which doesn''t suit his game (Brighton).

He is not the marquee signing that many naive ''fans'' seem to unrelaisitically crave and many seem to be against the signing due to indifferent championship scoring record which would mean he is up against it from the start. Much like Wilbraham last season who took a while to win everyone over.

Would not suit the 4-2-3-1 that has been talked of, unless the 3 got well forward and supported him which may be hard against top teams.

The money could perhaps be gambled on an unknown European youngster instead.

The money could potentially be saved for January and we could risk the first half of the season with what we already have.

Overall, in my humble opinion and having seen CMS play live on at least 10 occasions I would be happy with this signing.  Not blown away but happy that it would strenghten the SQUAD. Strengthening the squad does not necessarily mean getting better than what we have, it means making the squad stronger by adding more options. However, I would say he offers more all round than Martin, Jackson and Morison (when he''s not firing on all cylinders).

I personally rate CMS and hope this comes off.  And if it does come off, people need to realise the importance of getting behind players to get the best out of them for the good of the team.

Excellent post Nobody. I now wait for all the anti''s who will be so sure of their ''facts'' and have repeated them numerous times in the last 24 hours