Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

Worthy should have been gone months ago!

I said it 4 or 5 months ago & i still stand by it.... Worthy should have had the chop at the very latest in december. Yes i know he a relatively young manager,but his inexperience,lack of qualities,unable to get the best out of players,happy if we lose 4-0 but played well & totaly bizare line-ups & substitutions ect ect has certainly had a major part in our lack lusture season & relegation is staring us in the face! Yes you dont have to tell me what he has done for us since coming in as manager,BUT im afraid that is all in the past & the past wont win us matches & keep us up in the Prem which has been proven thus far. Its the same with Hucks,a great season last term,BUT very average this season! Worthy is a lovely fella & deserves all the aplause & gratitude from the club and us fans for what he has done over the seasons,but surley he should have put his hands up & said ''thats the best i can do,i cant take the club any further''. I also remember saying a new manager is sometimes worth 12 or 15 points alone.Robson has picked a few up & good old Redknapp has changed the fortunes of Southampton & i believe they will end up above Palace leaving us 3 promoted teams relegated. Of course the hardest thing would have been who we would have got in if Worthy went or if he goes.Your guess is as good as mine as theres not many options out there at the moment.

Now before any of you start comenting & calling me a non City suporter or simular,i would just like to say this is not a personal dig at Worthy,its my honest opinion as a City suporter who wants the best for his beloved club!

Cant agree, we have waited 9 seasons for someone to get us back into  the premiership and that man was worthy and now you want to get rid of him .We knew it was going to be hard ,yes he has made mistakes as have most of the playing staff .Yes the situation looks bleak but at least give the man until its mathmaticaly impossible to stay up before you throw the baby out with the bathwater. The vast majority of fans understand what he has done for the club and will support him , so get behind him  remember he was the one who got us promoted OTBC

What good would it have done us?  This club has had years of swapping managers.  We need some stability.  Last time I checked we were modelling ourselves on Charlton, not sheffield Wednesday.  Worthy is the right man for the job

what do you know about football hey? worthy gives us stability and is the biggest reason we are in the prem not division 2

We should aknowledge his achievements. He did very well to persuade Board and player to bring Huckerby to Norwich, even if the player has been slightly less effective in the Premiership. We should add Ashton and Bentley, and prospectively we all thought that he had done well with Helweg and Jonson. But he has also bought some dross, - no names but we could all mention a few, some of whom have gone but one or two remain. Some of his purchases were in an attempt to gain Premiership permanence on a very small budget, - if you pay peanuts you get..... Perhaps we reached the premiership too soon, - before we could assemble a better side!

Many are beginning to question team selection, especially those of us who have been urging a place for Shackle for several weeks. In some positions Worthy has had no cover, right back for instance, or wide right, and a terrible list of injuries savaged an already small squad. The fact remains that he seems to have favorites, to whose faults he seems to be blind. Some would suggest that Holt is out of his depth, or Fleming, or Edworthy. Drury has shown determination and become a better player for being dropped. Perhaps it''s time for others to be dropped?

Throughout his time he does seem to have been unable to motivate the team to a consistent level, to play for ninety minutes and to be legally aggressive. He used to overlook poor performances, he sometimes complains , but the team play as if they have learned nothing since last August. Concentration wanders, panic sets in and shape is lost. Perhaps he is too much of Mr.Nice Guy.

For several matches, because of injuries, he has had to send out a patched up team, and we sympathise with him, but motivating players, improving their performances on the field and consistent tactics seem to be lacking. Some have suggested that he is a young manager learning his trade, and we must be patient, but he is not on his own. He has two assistants. What do they contribute out of their wider experience?

A very likeable man, but even if we had the money to assemble a good team could we be confident that we would have a consistent performance every week?

Sorry, but i think Worthy is learning just as much as everyone else. I think he is the man who can get us back up and with the experience he can keep us up second time round

no, no, no. unless we could have gotten someone like bruce, curbs, hughes, etc, there wud have been no point. we will take us up again next year!

I have had my doubts about part of the overall package that is Worthy...several of his purchases have been big question marks with me...some of his tactics confusing...some of his management decisions dubious.

However, he did get us promoted and he has brought 2 or 3 good players to the Club (Huckerby, Francis, Ashton), so on balance he is on the plus side.

We are almost certain to go down now.  Worthy should be given at least to the halfway point next season.  If we are challenging for promotion then he should stay.  If we lose our way in the Championship then he should be dispensed with quickly.

Personally, I think we will get straight back up......then the BIG question is how well he strengthens the squad for another attempt at establishing ourselves in the Premiership -  he would need to do better than he did this time around.

If you were to read it properly you would have seen that i said he should have gone long ago.Its to late in the season now to worry who the manager is.Also i stated that i admired him for what he has done for the club,but the past doesnt keep us in the Prem,or if the past does then maybe we should bring Ken Brown back.As for Loughs reply,well that isnt worth a reply!

No doubt Worthy will do a fine job neat season in the fizzy league if he''s in charge,BUT how many people out there would have faith in him and the staff if we were to get back in the Prem the following season?

Lets put a slightly different angle on this debate, if a club comes in for NW will he up sticks? loyalty is a two way thing  & for all the rhetoric about stability & continuity it wasn''t that long ago when sheff wed were making noises, NW was quick to use the situ'' to his advantage by ruling nothing out in order to gain an improved contract. He is one of a small number of non continental managers operating at the highest level, he is single minded & extremely ambitious so it wouldn''t surprise me if an opportunity presented itself he would leave. 

These Worthy bashers make you sick. There is no other manager in this country that could prevent Norwich from being in the position they are in at this time.

If and when we do go down Nigel Worthington is the ONE MAN to steer us back into the Premiership and keep us there.

Worthy bashers are just short-sighted and looking for excuses when the fact is, the gulf between the Premiership and Division One is just too great for Norwich City Football Club at this time. We need to yo-yo for a few seasons to establish ourselves, not go gung ho sacking managers and buying expensive players and ending up like Barnsley, Wednesday, Forest etc.

Cant believe im actually hearing this!!

Nigel Worthington has transformed this club from a lowly division one side to a premiership outfit on a shoe-string budget! Why on earth would we want to destroy the foundations of something that could be very competitve in the premier league next time round?

Um...Harry Redknapp has brought success to a reasonable club by buying 5 players, who are on a combined wage of around 100k a week. I think that says it all.

Worthington i feel, is a better manager than a coach. He does get the best out of players (contrary to other posters), and he talks a good game. I feel he just needs some experienced premiership coaches in his back-up team. (what is Dave Williams doing these days btw?)

The man has made so many mistakes this season it would be quicker to write a book than list them all. And the biggest shame is he does not seem to have learned anything. Whats todays great tactical escape plan ...we need mental strength . God help us.

[quote]We should aknowledge his achievements. He did very well to persuade Board and player to bring Huckerby to Norwich, even if the player has been slightly less effective in the Premiership. We should add...[/quote]

Wrong Salopian ! ... the only players less effective in the prem  have been most of the other players !  .....  time after time Hucks has seen his  crosses wasted  by incompetant " strikers " ......  I just wish Worthy had seen the light  before xmas  and  got him up front  instead of being stuck out on the left  ....  as it stands  its Hucks crosses that have got  the goals we have ... not his fault  he`s stuck with  crap players ....it IS a team game ..... do you expect him to do it on his own .... hmmm ?

this is where i get caught in two minds!
worthys done brilliantly getting us this far, but i sometimes think this is as far as he can take us. and we cant keep him here just because of his previous achievments as this club is wanting to go further. but then also ...i dont think that sacking him would have been the answer, as i dont see another manager suitable to have brought in.

Without a doubt worthy has struggled enormously with the demands of prem football and has made plenty of mistakes along the way - as has every single NCFC player.  Worthy past record suggests he will review the season and improve again for it next year. 

Basically we are out of our depth and a new manager would not have changed that - there is no transfer budget for a Redknapp to squander (how much for Quashie on £40k pw??!) - and the upheaval was more likely to have been so disruptive to have sent us down faster.

What the board seem to have done is accept that relegation is more tha likely and take a longer term view that strengthens the club overall & puts us in a position to do a West Brom next season, financially stronger and with a manager who knows what it takes to get out of the fizzy pop league with all of its competitiveness. 

More astonishingly you also advocate the selling/dismissal of Hux - well if hux has been average I hate to think how you rate the rest of the squad.   Even by prem standards hux has been a threat in just about every game and above average.  In the context of a below prem standard city squad he has been a shining light of consistent quality. No, his impact has not been the same as last year but then again look at the double marking and better defenders he has faced - remember that few strikers have scared the Arsenal back 4 as he did back in August (when played as a striker) and he has carried this form through the season.

I too have been critical of Worthys tactics, selections and blatant blind favouritism - however I remain convinced that changing him wont help my proud club one iota.

OTBC 

Around December I did think that the best way to stay up would be to change managers BUT as a long-term option it is worth sticking with Nigel.

The bar has now been raised. Worthy needs to get us promoted next season and then keep us in up in order to keep his job (football is a tough sometimes). He has to prove that he has learnt from this season.

I am already looking forward to seeing whether he can meet the challenge.

As I''ve said before it''s Foley and Livermore I would look at before Nigel. OK his signings have been mixed but the basics come from the training pitch and that''s where we have failed this season. Marking, passing, positional awareness, closing down, ball control, communication- all areas where we have not been up to scratch.

Just remember last season for a minute- many times we played just like this especially in the first halves of many matches. We didn''t get punished and often ran out winners (the home game against Ipswich is a good example). Some of these problems were evident last year- they have been brutally exposed against better sides.

Who do we want as manager next season? Someone with experience of getting a team out of Div 1, like.... Nigel Worthington!

Worthy has done a damn fine job here at Fortress Carrow Road, taking a team that was ridiculously structured (Hamilton''s exceptionally poor transfer signings, our monetary budget the back room staff were all wrong!) and gradually turned it all around.

If nothing else, Worthy DESERVED a season to attempt attaining Premiership survival.

Yes, he''s capable of being criticised - most definatly for tactics and player selections, in my opinion. His transfers - if you ask me - are good for the budget he''s on. I think I can honestly say, hand on heart, that everyone of our additions is a good addition, and surely has a place in the squad.

George Burley, with Ipswich, was given half a season in the Championship to see how he coped with relegation. As it happened, the side ended up nearly in the relegation zone. While I don''t see this occuring to us, if it does, I fully expect Worthy to get the sack then.

Premiership survival is a gradual thing for some teams. Yes, teams with big money rolls (ie Man City & Portsmouth) have done it first time, as have teams with incredible luck (ie Ipswich that year, and Palace this if they do it) but for other clubs (like Charlton) it takes a season or two of yo-yoing before we''re really in a position to push for safety. And at the end of the day, which of the clubs I''ve mentioned above are in the best position? Charlton.

I think relegation was far more likely this season than survival, but we''ve given it a good go, and proven that we''re not walk overs, and here for the trips to Old Trafford/Highbury. And let''s face it, with a little more confidence, patience and some clever transfer moves, we could be back in two seasons time in a far, far better position to make a push for Premiership survival.

OTBC!!

Zipper has hit the nail on the head when he says that there is not another manager in the Country who could have kept us up with the funds that Worthy has had at his disposal.  To be perfectly frank I believe we have the man to get us where we ultimately want to be and that is Premiership survival.  At least we do not have somebody who throws his toys out of the pram when he is told we do not have the maney to spend and then walks to find another club with the millions to spend.  Worthy has shown his loyalty to the club with regards this point and I believe the manager and all connected with the club have learnt a hell of a lot this season and will be stronger in the Fizzy League next year than we were last.  I believe we will come straight back up.  Why - because we have not gone mad this season and believe we have a good pot of gold in order to improve the team once we have got rid of the deadwood at the end of this season.  At least we will win more than three games and have the excitement of challenging for promotion instead of the dead beat feeling of being relegated.

We will be there next season with Worthy as the General.

I disagree, I think there are managers who could have kept us up with the 5+ million Worthy has had to spend. That doesn''t mean to say I''m in the "Worthy out" camp, far from it but I think the board have backed Worthy reasonably well in his time in charge.

I think Worthy has had a bad season, this season. His signings have been nothing short of diabolical, his tactics baffling and he still seems to be a little on the negative side. However, I think that he is still the best man for the job and I have no doubt we will make a swift return to the Premiership when we are relegated. I would just urge him to be a little more careful in the transfer market.

[quote]I disagree, I think there are managers who could have kept us up with the 5+ million Worthy has had to spend. That doesn''t mean to say I''m in the "Worthy out" camp, far from it but I think the board h...[/quote]

You just about sum up my feelings about NW, WN - he has been found as wanting, if not more,  as Flem and Eddy, frustrates the hell out of me as there appears to be no appreciation of what is actually happening on the pitch compounded by a reluctance to coach any changes into the team (which as a qualified coach he should lead on the training field)  yet I still want him to be our manager for the start of next season, no matter where we finish - even if its adrift at the bottom and dont win another game all season.

OTBC

Curbishley didn''t keep Charlton up first time.  Allardyce didn''t keep Bolton up first time.  We can''t expect miracles in such a short space of time.

I know it''s a cliche but this season has been a massive learning curve.  For the players and the management.  And yes both have been caught out at times this season.  But I''m damn sure they''ve learned from their mistakes and will come back all the stronger.  When Worthy next gets us into the Premiership he will have a lot more knowledge of the game than he did this season 

I find this thread sad and typical of some supporters? on here.

Nigel is a fine captain of the good ship city. I would also add that some posters are ungrateful, forgetful and damn right vindictive!.

These fans? make me vomit!, they are fools of the first degree. They should be careful of what they wish for, it just might come true.

Leave Nigel alone, he doesn''t deserve this spiteful criticism, he''s human and will make mistakes, we all do, whatever our occupation, so live with it shipmates!.      

[quote]I find this thread sad and typical of some supporters? on here. Nigel is a fine captain of the good ship city. I would also add that some posters are ungrateful, forgetful and damn right vindictive!....[/quote]

Cpn Jack - the majority of posts are supportive of keeping Worthy but like the players Worthy has not met the premier mark and just because he got us here in the first place does not mean he has diplomatic immunity from criticism.

Most of the posts recognise the valid reasons why change may not be the most sensible option and some feel he has taken us as far as he can, both are valid opinions and supported with reasoned arguments;  it is because of the reasoned discussion over him stewardship that I have rated this a 5 star topic, not because I agree with the heading.  This post again demonstrates why I enjoy this board - the posters take a practical view of what the club needs from its management team overall and are prepared to question in a constructive way what the best route to acheive this is. 

Overall Niges tenure has been a successful one and we all rejoice in that, despite this seasons agreed shortcomings.

OTBC