Sign in to follow this  
Clint

The Real Reason We're Going Down.....

.....is funnily enough, because thats what everyone connected with the club has expected from day 1!  I personally will be disgusted if we finish bottom of this league, we''re the Div 1 champions, finshed 8 points clear of W Brom & 20ish clear of Palace last season, why are we now six points behind Palace with a far inferior goal difference & looking half the team they are....because they want to stay up & show the passion & commitment in order to do so.

They play 25 mins with 10 men at home to Man U & hold out for a draw, we throw away a 2-0 lead at home to a very mediocre Man City & end up losing 3-2.  Still we cheer the boys off the pitch after more Sunday league defending, never mind, we never expected to win.  We play like we''re not good enough to win games in this league, which is why we capitulate every time a goal goes against us - oh well, we never should have been in the lead anyway.

The teams around (or just above!) us are no better, Palace & W Brom in many peoples opinion man for man are worse, hence we''ve got points of all the teams around us.

The board are content with going down in the hope we''ll come back up stronger but how many teams do - where are Wolves, Leicester & Leeds in the fizzy league?! Worthy has always been happy to go down as he''s under no pressure to keep us up & it will make his life easier, his latest comment, ''if we lose we''ll be dissapointed but thats life'' isn''t acceptable.  This attitude definately transpires onto the pitch & do you think Dowie, Robson, Redknapp would ever say this - I think not.

I didn''t spend 9 years going to Turf Moor, Gresty Rd & the Bescott to roll over & die after 1 season in the big league because no-one at the club wants to stay up.  I have yet to renew my season ticket & won''t do unless I see some fight in the last 9 matches!

PS it would also be helpful if Feming & Eddy are dropped come the Bolton match for Charlton & Helveg!

Quote "I have yet to renew my season ticket & won''t do unless I see some fight in the last 9 matches!"

If there are a few thousand more like you hopefully there will be lots of season tickets up for grabs, cheers Clint ! 

Helveg and Charlton will be no better. Our entire defence is rubbish.

As for not renewing you''re season ticket, thats ridiculous. Did you have a season ticket during the Chase era when the club was on the verge of being destroyed? Relegation really isn''t that bad if it means we come back stronger. And the lads are trying, they''re just not good enough thats all.

No mate the real reason we are going down is because there is a massive gap in class and finances between the Championship and the Premiership and we just haven''t been able to bridge this gap in one go!

West Brom and Palace have both spent a lot more money than us (on transfer fees and wages) and they''re not really that much better off. We''ve had pretty bad luck with injuries as well. (If you''ve got a bit of time on your hands sit down and work out how many points Palace would have without Johnson''s goals this season - and he''s never been injured!!)

You can whinge and moan on about Worthy, the Board, the players etc etc until you''re blue in the face, but the fact is that the gap - as we have found out this season - is just huge.

Of course there is no guarantee that we''ll come back up again next season, but we will go down a much stronger team than we were when we came up and so should have a really good chance.

Of course it''s your decision whether or not you renew your season ticket (but I guess that deep down you know you will). If you don''t there will be thousands of others who will willingly take it off your hands!

I think clint has a point though- expectation. Were we sufficiently committed to this fight? I hate to say it but there is evidence that we were not. We have definitely underachieved and that''s depressing, but whilethe club may have been too cautious and expected too little hopefully we have built for the long term. Those who have spent more and still likely to go down will be in much deeper doo-doo. Clint should renew his season ticket like all proper fans will and enjoy the fruits of long term sustained progress which may have blips along the way but will ultimately be far more rewarding.

I dont think Palace have spent huge sums of money at all , they have a team that battles for 90 minutes and a manager who can get them motivated . To be honest their form last season from when Dowie arrived was that good that had he been there from the start of the season they may have been Champions.

I have to say that I agree with much of what is said in the original thread here. The number of senior people within the club who seemed to accept that we were likely to go down and that it would all be ok as we will go straight back up again has concerned me from day one. This sort of attitude was evident in our summer transfer activity and has also been evident in the attitude of the manager and the players to defeats all season.

I do not hwoever accept that the gulf in class is as large as people choose to make out. Yes at the top of the table it is but in terms of the sorts of teams floatsing around the 8th to 16th place mark my own view is that we were quite capable of taking points off all of them but due to a combination of shambolic defending and simply not turning up for periods of matches we have not done ourselves justice.

[quote]No mate the real reason we are going down is because there is a massive gap in class and finances between the Championship and the Premiership and we just haven''t been able to bridge this gap in one g...[/quote]

Can somebody tell me how much Palace have spent? I didn''t think they''d hardly spent a bean but I''ve heard one or two posters say about how they''ve spent a lot of money.On who have they spent it Mr Rosario and how much did they spend?I''m not being sarcastic, just genuinely want to know...

Very well said Mr Rosario, and also Leicester and Leeds had to sell when they went down because of their precarious financial situation. Wolves I am not so sure about, but hopefully we will not need to sell (with the recent performances of our so caalled top assets Green and Francis there may not be buyers anyway).

It is not all over until it is mathmatically imposssible, but if it is I will feel very confident about next year.

I agree with you 100% except the renewal bit. Worthy when interviewed after the everton at home debacle at 2:2 did you think you could go on and win the game NO said worthy. and on saturday after losing 1:3 at home he was pleased. the only thing on chelseas mind was barce we should have gone after them from the start with hard crunching tackles what did we do stand back and admire. Its the attitude as much as the brain dead defense why were down already. And no i don''t want worthy sacked just to pull his finger out. 

The reasons we''re going down, in no particular order

1) Lack of willingness on the board''s part to bankrupt the club. Personally I''m with them on this one. For those who are still calling this lack of ambition, we tripled our transfer record to sign Dean Ashton. What more do you want?

2) The start to the season. We played pretty well in August and September, and were bottom at the end of it. All the confidence gained by being champions, 20 points better than Palace etc gone. We got used to losing.

3) Team selection. Our two most talented outfield players, Huckerby and Bentley, don''t fit into the 4-4-2 that the rest of the team would be most comfortable with. There''s no consensus on this board as to our best XI (or even as to where Hucks should play) and I don''t think Worthington knows his best team.

4) Loyalty to those not good enough. Any team with Edworthy, Fleming and Holt in the first team regularly is not a Premiership team. No disrespect to those players - they''ve worked their arses off all season and I love them to bits, especially Holt, who I think has taken an absurdly unfair amount of stick this season. Without them we wouldn''t be in the Prem, but with them, we''re going down.

5) Injuries, especially the ones to Svennson, Francis and Bentley when they were playing close to or at their best. No way a club with all the issues listed above could cope with this.

6) Signings. Bentley, Helveg and Jonson have all played well, I think, but none have made the impact we all thought they would. Can''t see how you can criticise the manager for this - they looked great acquisitions at the start of the season. 

7) Defending. This is the big one, I think, and the reason why I''m so disappointed. A combination of second-rate players, no consistency of selection and clearly poor coaching has sunk us. We''ve scored enough to stay up, and, at times, troubled pretty much every team. Organising the defence should be the easy bit. As far as I''m concerned this is where Worthington needs to take the blame. Finger out, indeed.

8) Harry Redknapp and Andy Johnson.

Worthy Nigelton. I think I heard that Palace brought in 11 new players this season. I''m answering this off the top of my head because I haven''t got time to research the full answer, but here are the ones I can remember.

2 goalies - Speroni & Kiraly for a total of £2.25 million

Sandor Torghelle (Hungarian international striker now playing in their reserves) £1.5 million approx

Mark Hudson - central defender from Fulham £1 million approx

Koolka - Finnish winger £700,000 approx

Some Ecuadorian international (can''t remember his name). He was there for about 4 months before going home without playing a game. According to some reports they paid £2 million for him, but I read somewhere else that they just paid his wages. Although if he signed on a three year contract and they had to pay this up before he left you can only guess at how much that cost them.

Emerson Boyce - on a free transfer from Luton.

Lakkis - Greek international who got sent off on Saturday. Don''t know how much he cost.

That''s not 11 I know but its all I can remember. And all those signings were at the beginning of the season. So they''ve certainly spent more than ''hardly a bean''.

[quote]The reasons we''re going down, in no particular order 1) Lack of willingness on the board''s part to bankrupt the club. Personally I''m with them on this one. For those who are still calling this lack...[/quote]

Spot on mate. Couldn''t agree more.

Worthy Nigelton

And of course I completely forgot Fitz Hall who they signed from Saints for £1.5 million. So you see they have definitely spent quite a bit more than us this season.

Another point to note about them (although it won''t help us any this season) is that they don''t own their own ground, but are still renting it from Ron Noades (I think). In four years their lease is up and they will either have to buy Selhurst Park or find another ground.

They may be in a better position than us in the short term, but long term I''m not quite so sure.

We''re going to be the first Division 1 champions to be relegated straight back down again since Bolton a good few years ago, which I find very sad.

Sounds a bit harsh all that but see where you are coming from.  I forget who we were playing, possibly the liverpool game, but Helveg played at right back.  He played a blinder.  One or two minor mistakes but then he''s not a defender by nature.

Jason has livened the back row up no end, I think the problem was Docherty.  Still, only time will tell.  get helveg back and play him at the back and who knows.....