Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Best City goal you ever saw...

I have seen mentioned on another thread today, Flecky''s last minute goal at Millwall in the televised match some years ago which brings me to this topic...That goal is up there with the best but also worth a mention are Fash''s goal of the season against Liverpool and i dont know if anyone else remembers a goal by Andy Townsend at Port Vale in the FA cup when he ran from the half way line and beat a couple of players before chipping the goalkeeper exquisitly...it was a miserable game which we were on the verge of losing til that piece of brilliance. I think we won 3-1 in the end.

Anyone else have any great goal memories to share??

Martin Peters overhead kick against Wolves?

Roger Gibbins late 20 yard winner against Birmingham when the game was so boring i spent the afternoon wandering around the southstand & river end (we had that little gate between the two in those days) catching up with some old friends.

Theres only one goal that still brings back great memories & that was Justin Fashanu''s goal against Liverpool when we lost 3-5 at home to them! Justin who i hear some of the younger ones ask?

Aside from some of the more obvious ones, ie Goss vs Leeds Utd (during the Goss mania era), one that sticks in my mind was one from Tim Sherwood vs Sunderland. I recall it was a header from a corner, the ball swung out to the edge of the area, and Sherwood met it fully, sending it into the top corner.

Another I fondly recall, was away at Barnsley one rather chilly Tuesday night in September ''98. Ashley Ward scored to put the home team one up, but the 2nd half saw an inspired comeback (after we''d changed our shirts cuz the Barnsley players were moaning), with Bellers, Lee (leaving Norwich for bigger and better things - where is he now?) Marshall and big Iwan all scoring, Iwans being the best, he took the ball, with his back to goal, on the edge of the area, then turned and hit a peach into the bottom left hand corner.

Shan''t go on further, for fear of rambling, howvere another one I remem...........   oops sorry

Fashanu vs Liverpool - simple as that.  
In more recent years, I suppose you have to look at some of Jerry Goss''s screamers - Munich and all that - but for sheer class, brilliance - and God love him the complete nonchalance of his celebration - it has to be Justin Fashanu.

Too hard to pick the best goal seen but the one I enjoyed the most was Goss''s goal against Munich at home to send us through, never been so happy!! Remember thinking as a young fan that this was how it would be forever!!!

Wow, still somebody remember Justin Fashanu goal vs Liverpool.  This game was my very first impression at NCFC back then!! :w00tI believe it was a 1 week delay Div 1 Tape on Free TV here)

I''m of a younger generation so my memory doesn''t quite stretch that far back, but last season paul McVeigh''s Volley from the left on the edge of the box was a beauty, can''t remember who it was against though but it was at home i think. Hucks'' goal vs Cardiff where he took it past 3 defenders and finished beautifully in his last game on loan was, if not one of the best, certainly one of the most emotional in recent times.

As a younger fan, I have to rememba a few good goals, Steen Nedergaard with a 30 yard strike against Coventry at home the season b4 last, Last season against Wigan when Hucks ran from the halfway line taking on a defender and then he ran into another, the ball trickled along to Svensson unmarked from the edge of the area, instead of taking it for a 1 on 1 with the keeper he took it first time and as soon as the ball left his left foot it just curled straight into the top left hand corner, leaving the keeper with no chance.

Francesco,

I think you''re referring to the Millwall game (Hendo also scored two in quick succession in that game). Not forgetting McVeigh''s against Wolves at home which started with Libbra''s flick, or McVeigh''s header against Wolves in the playoffs. Scores some good uns that one...

I am just old enough to rember that Fleck Volley but my favorite goal has to be Marc Libbra''s goal against Man City.

...... (the mists decened)

In our first game of the season we had been thump 4 - 0 by Millwall and after just avoiding relegation the season before I was not in a great frame of mind about NCFC.

Man City had just been relegated and appointed Keegan as Manager. Everyone was expecting them to finish comfortably top (which they did do). No one gave us a chance.

We played excellent for 75 minutes but couldnt make a break through. A long ball was kicked up field.Libbra let the ball go over his shoulder, chiped the Man City defender and then volleyed it into the net, without the ball touching the ground once. Class.

Even though he disapointed after that and I always defend his record as a City player. Without that moment of insperation we would of never got to the play offs.

got to be rosario''s for skill and goss for memories. hey can we have a poll on this webteam 

JUSTIN FASHANU i was right behind the goal when it went in i can still picture it now as he turned and beat one of the greatest keepers at the time Ray Clemence, brilliant just brilliant R.I.P FASH thanks for the memorys.

For me it has to be the win against Chelsea at Carrow Road in one of the opening matches of the 1992/1993 season. Long through ball by Megson (or crook) to Mark Robins who takes it on the volley with the outside of his right foot lobbing the ball delightfully over a stranded Dave Beasant.

bit reminiscent of Ashton''s goal against man city on mon

delightful

Svensson''s secong goal at Burnley last year was pretty special, in terms of the team effort and fast, flowing attacking football - it also put to bed the idea that Drury couldn''t cross, and Svensson couldn''t head the ball......

There are loads of contenders, but how about Iwan''s at Cardiff? Even though we lost, one of the best ever matches I have been to.

I remember the Fashanu goal well - I was in the Barclay standing right in line with the ball.

A moan went up when he hit it - everyone want him to cross it - then there was silence that seemed to go on for a lifetime as it curled round (Clemence''s ?)hand and went in off the inside of the post to make it 3-3 with 5 mins left. Cue going bananas.

Shame they scored twice in the last 5 minutes but Jimmy Case (if you remember him) called it the best game he''d ever played in.

Ah memories... :-)

This is really tough, but I''ll go for Gossy''s goal in Munich. I think seconds before I die and my life flashes before my eyes, that goal will be included in it.

But I also have to mention Mulryne''s goal at Reading last year as I can''t remember a goal that has caused more ecstatic mayhem. Big assist from the ref I know, but the Garden House pub went completely mental when that ball hit the back of the net.

A Martin O''Neil solo effort at Spurs in 1981 sticks in my memory, anyone else remember it?

fave goal would have to be the Mcveigh goal against wolves.

i no there are great goals like flecky and fashuau, but when mcveigh put us 2-1 (i think) against wolves in the play off semi final at carrow road - that was magic.

easton put a stunningh flick into the box and out of no where mcveigh comes flying in, heads it and dips over the wolves keeper

My two choices have already been mentioned - for overall tenacity and skill it has to go to Justin Fashanu''s screamer against L''pool and then for total satisfaction and wild celebrations Steve Bruces header at Carrow Road V the Scum in the Milk cup semi 2nd leg! unfortunately I was not in Munich on the night of Gossy''s wonder volley but seen it numerous times since.

I notice there are a lot of shouts for Gossy''s goal in Munich but what about the one on the return game at Carrow Road. Not a great goal admittedly but i doubt i have ever celebrated a goal more...I just couldnt believe it, we were about to knock out one of the most famous club sides ever!!!!

for sheer excitement when the ball went in iwan at cardiff or mulryne at reading last season. I would still love to see a pitch level camera view of us lot celebrating when it sailed in with the fans just behind the reading goal

Steen Nedergaard.

Easy winner for me.

i think the best in recent years was libbra''s against man city - having been on the pitch ten seconds or something....

btw - did anyone see the free-kick he took at while warming-up at half-time in the play-off final. amazing!

i don''t like man city!