Sign in to follow this  
Buzz Killington

I wonder who we missed

I wonder who we missed out on yesterday. If, as CH said previously, we were trying to sign a striker before yesterday, it wasn''t going to be Harry Kane. unless we always wait until an hour before the deadline to sort it. If it was him, he''d wouldn''t have been running around the spurs training ground at 10pm. As Dowie said, he''s not there because he forgot his boots!

With all the talk, and rumours, I think nobody had a clue. All the posters on here, who claimed a ''source'' can now feel free to tell us all who they are, as they obviously don''t know a thing.

We didn''t miss our target as it''s Guidetti. We could not go ahead with the signing until his illness is cleared up. He will come in January.

Then I woke up!

My only thought if it was always going to be Kane is if Spurs had us waiting on them signin a striker before we could go ahead. Maybe the Dempsey signing tilted it our way. Yes I know he is a midfield player but he will ag some goals too.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]I wonder who we missed out on yesterday. If, as CH said previously, we were trying to sign a striker before yesterday, it wasn''t going to be Harry Kane. unless we always wait until an hour before the deadline to sort it. If it was him, he''d wouldn''t have been running around the spurs training ground at 10pm. As Dowie said, he''s not there because he forgot his boots! With all the talk, and rumours, I think nobody had a clue. All the posters on here, who claimed a ''source'' can now feel free to tell us all who they are, as they obviously don''t know a thing.[/quote]

I suspect Hughton was waiting for this signing.   Spurs were always going to buy a striker and struck gold with Dempsey.  Hughton would have been waiting for Spurs to get their man before being able to go for Kane. He would also know that Spurs like to do things late (thats how they got Dempsey). Hence the last minute rush.    It would have been lined up for quite a while.   

CMS, who we are supposed to have put a bid in for would have been a squad strengthener too.   Maybe Hughton wanted to get two strikers in, but with the five we now have, I don''t think anyone has cause for complaint.  

To send a striker out on loan who was scoring preseason AND then to offer another experienced striker out on loan after one of the backup strikers has been offloaded would suggest that we missed a significant transfer target.

Assuming we know what we are doing.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]It wouldn''t surprise me if the Kane deal was done and dusted long before the deadline[/quote]

Nope, official NCFC Tweet "Apologies for the late news and lack of updates. This was a very late deal requiring an extension allowing us to complete the paperwork by 1am"

Think we definatley missed out on our preferred target, which in my opinion was CMS

I think that it is possible that with an apparently limited budget all we were ever going to sign was a loanee. CH said more than once that if no striker came, he was happy with what he has. If so, given his knowledge of and reputation with Tottenham, I think it quite possible that there were discussions with Spurs over Kane some days ago. He was told that with Van de Mart likely to go, Spurs would not release Kane until they had signed another striker. When they did sign Dempsey on the final day, then, perhaps conversations started again and.......

Kane seems more of an advanced midfielder who plays off a striker, and thus fits in with CH''s preference for a lone striker or a 1+1 up front, so he would seem to be an ideal candidate for this game. It could be a very subtle signing.