Sign in to follow this  
Frying Pan Eyes

Todays tactics

Well done to the lads you were excellent today in all departments.

It was pleasing to see Hughtons tactics today were spot on and totally nullified spuds midfield therefore them struggling to get hold of the game. Defensively we looked very organised and the 2 banks of four worked very well every time they tried to press us. Fair play to Hughton as not many teams would start with 2 up front from the start at Spuds.

The whole team played well and looked very strong and organised as a unit.

Have to admit Garrido, Snodgrass and Bassong all look quality signings.

Onwards and Upwards

OTBC

[quote user="Malcolm Mawkin"]Well done to the lads you were excellent today in all departments.

It was pleasing to see Hughtons tactics today were spot on and totally nullified spuds midfield therefore them struggling to get hold of the game. Defensively we looked very organised and the 2 banks of four worked very well every time they tried to press us. Fair play to Hughton as not many teams would start with 2 up front from the start at Spuds.

The whole team played well and looked very strong and organised as a unit.

Have to admit Garrido, Snodgrass and Bassong all look quality signings.

Onwards and Upwards

OTBC[/quote]
Defensively, it wasn''t a 4-4-2. Watching the game I noticed how Holt dropped into midfield to provide that extra body and help us out a bit, it was only a 4-4-2 both offensively and defensively when Morison came on and we were more direct.

I went to The Cottage but (typically) missed today!

For me the whole season was going to revolve round our approach to WHL. We all know how positive our play was (very largely) in away games last season and we finished with 5 wins and 5 draws. Compare that to the dross Worthy served up on the road (Southampton match excepted) in 2004-2005. We have never been a club who can successfully shut up shop and grind out a series of 0-0 draws away from home. In any event the travelling fans will not tolerate that  negativity and it would only lead to a truly dreadful away record and almost certain relegation.

That was why the approach to the game and the performance was far, far more important than the result. From what I heard on the radio the performance was a throw back to last season in many respects and IF that is the basic philosophy and strategy that CH will adopt this season then we''ll be fine. Even after the late equaliser, the boys were still going for it apparently and that must surely put to rest the argument that many fans were spouting after the Fulham collapse as evidence that CH was a ''dreary'', ''negative'', ''boring'' manager.    

I still have concerns about the strikers we have but if CH could not find the player he wanted without paying absurd amounts in transfer fees and wages then so be it. What is in no doubt is the improvements to defence and the additional quality, flexibility and competitiveness in midfield / wide areas.

In fairness, Hughton realised the negative approach wasn''t working at half time of the Fulham game and changed the formation for the 2nd half!

In my opinion theres no need for us to ever play one upfront ever again cause it doesn''t work!

If we play like we have in the last 2 League games, have a bit more luck and be more clinical in front of goal then we should have enough about us to stay up at the very least!

Was really good to see the lads back in form, quality performance all-round!!!!

Hughton using 4-4-2 was also a great sign, mainly that he learnt from his mistake at fulham and decided to use a formation thats best for the team and not for him. As far as ive seen Norwich cannot play with 1 striker upfront lets keep it with 2 upfront.

Obviously a great performance from all the players but a few in particular stood out to me,

Johnson had a fantastic performance his last shot was hit with such power and precision Tottenham were very lucky to have Friedel in goal.

Snodgrass, great see his persistance and ability to get the ball into dangerous areas, not forgetting he scored a superb goal was well deserved.

The Bassong and Barnett duo is looking very solid and is good to see Barnett doing so well and in the starting XII :)

Also good to see holt back to his usual self.

Bring on the goals, bring on the hammers.