Sign in to follow this  
The Gingerking

Anyone else get sick of BBC pundits writing us off?

Usually pay no attention but it''s grinding my gears a bit so far this season. Lawro and his predictions (love to see how many times last season he predicted us to win- single figure of games no doubt). And Shearer tonight and the rest of them. Just what evidence are they basing our predicted struggle on?  The bookies too. Lazy journalism. 2 out of 3 games now with absolutely nothing to suggest we will be relegation fodder in the long term but hey.......it''s all about big names and big money isn''t it? 

It''s annoying, but at the same time I like that we can just go about our business and by the end of the season hopefully they''ll all be like ''Norwich had a great season again when there were concerns about them at the start'' etc etc blah blah blah

It''s just par for the course - we are just unfashionable in the eyes of some of the wider media so will have to put up with it, but can just carry on doing what we do and come in under the radar again. It was exactly the same approaching the end of the transfer window: we all knew CH wanted a striker as he''d pretty much said as much, but both the bbc and mail (at least) had decided we had done all the business we were going to do and weren''t looking.

I used to get a bit annoyed at the lack of interest in us, being remote as I am and finding it difficult to get info between matches, but don''t really care nowadays as can keep abreast of all things NCFC via the net

[quote user="The Gingerking"]

2 out of 3 games now with absolutely nothing to suggest we will be relegation fodder in the long term but hey.......it''s all about big names and big money isn''t it? 

[/quote]We''ve yet to win a game. Do youi want them to suggest that some of the teams who have won games will be relegation fodder instead?

Think about how they are analysing the game. Brad making numerous saves to keep them in the game compared to how many stops by Ruddy? It makes complete sense, to someone.

"Just what evidence are they basing our predicted struggle on? The bookies too"

err, the bookies do not predict, they merely adjust the odds to reflect the bets made

Certainly not. I don''t think it''s fair to suggest anyone will ''struggle'' or indeed be ''alright'' after such few games. They shouldn''t bother with the question at all at this embryonic stage of the season. Lawrenson with his West Ham will be ''alright'' after 2 games evidence before they went out and broke the bank. Short of the traditional top six or possibly up to eight teams, forcasting the team''s that will be in a relegation battle is close to russian roulette. No one''s but no one has got a the faintest clue who will be in the mire come April/May ''13. Fortunately for them, most of us will have forgotten the cr*p they get paid to talk in 9 months time.

Well I have to be honest and say I think we will be right in the relegation battle, just because this season will be so much tougher than last.

All the teams have improved and ATM I can''t say who I think will go down. It''s probably early for that.

But I don''t care who ever writes us off now, just what they think. If the other teams think that as well, maybe they won''t "turn up" when they play lol.

The more sh ite they spout the longer the odds you get on City not being relegated - which is quite handy for the ''betting man''

Some decent prices to be had on Betfair after Fulham

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="The Gingerking"]

2 out of 3 games now with absolutely nothing to suggest we will be relegation fodder in the long term but hey.......it''s all about big names and big money isn''t it? 

[/quote]We''ve yet to win a game. Do youi want them to suggest that some of the teams who have won games will be relegation fodder instead?[/quote]
completely agree, how about teams that are lower down the table than us?
at this point last season, we were yet to win a game.

Aston Villa are a big club with money who are tipped to struggle by pundits at the Beeb. I would say having low expectations and not being a prominent club works to our advantage, ask Spurs fans!

H

[quote user="The Gingerking"]

Usually pay no attention but it''s grinding my gears a bit so far this season. Lawro and his predictions (love to see how many times last season he predicted us to win- single figure of games no doubt). And Shearer tonight and the rest of them. Just what evidence are they basing our predicted struggle on?  The bookies too. Lazy journalism. 2 out of 3 games now with absolutely nothing to suggest we will be relegation fodder in the long term but hey.......it''s all about big names and big money isn''t it? 

[/quote]

look at this for lawro''s predictions last year

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Mark_Lawrensons_Predictions_2011-12.html

Does not bother me in the slightest. Last year at this point we had not won a game, been hammered by MK 4-0 and were considered nailed on to finish in the bottom 5.

Walking away from yesterday''s game I felt that we had moved on well from last year and that there is a momentum gathering to our season.

So let them, and a fair few of our own supporters, write us off. We proved them wrong last season and I am confident that we will look back at the Fulham defeat and say that it was a defining moment for another great season.

RP

To be fair Shearer didn''t right us off, he said sonething along the lines of:

"They''ll be right in the battle, Norwich, have they good enough to survive? Only time will tell"

It''s a fair comment really. It don''t think they''ll be any teams getting cut adrift at the bottom this year, and any 3 from probably 12 teams could end up going down.

What do they know there will be a lot of teams in the premier struggling the season has only just begun. Christmas time is when we will see who will struggle until then Mr Shearer and Co. Shut up: Saw the match yesterday and I thought we really played well. Yes we could have won it but it was a good valuable away point. Well done the Lads.

"what do they know" that`s nail on head Eggy, they dont know any more than the rest of us so not much point in getting wound up over it. The sad thing for me is that so many on this board have been writing our team off, people talking about betting on us getting relegated, that`s what really winds me up!

To be fair, given that the majority of posters on here have been expressing great concern, including some of the generally measured and intelligent ones, it is unfair to criticise pundits for expressing a lack of certainty about our prospects.

I do think it''s far too early to tell how anyone''s season will pan out. Maybe Villa will pick up steam and Swansea lose it? We are used to being written off or ignored and, as others have said, that suits me. I say let the BBC punditry focus on ''you''ll never walk alone'' Liverpool and ''forever blowing bubbles'' West Ham, their comments lack insight and originality anyway.

The BBC will not say Norwich will do well and promote the city of Norwich. Think about it there main tv rivals ITV based in Norwich of all places. Gotta have something to do with it surely

One thing that really annoyed me on bbc was on final score yesterday, dont know if anyone else saw it but honestly it may have just been called swansea tv. Im not joking when Sunderland scored Savage, Logan and co started sighing and when Swansea equalised they couldnt hide their excitement. Wish Sky Sports news was still free so could watch soccer saturday instead of that amateur nonsense.

It does seem that Swansea are still the media darlings, but c''est la vie.

It is just far too early to call anything, we have all only played 3 games and all against different sides so it is impossible to determine what''s what. There isn''t much point until at least 10-12 games are played as then at least teams will have played a comparable mix of sides.

I remember at this stage last season Wigan had played each of the promoted sides and we''re on five points after three games, the beeb did an article about their ''good start'' - they then lost 8 on the bounce or something daft and struggled thereafter.

Now are these pundits writing us off, or just saying that we''ll find this season tough?  There can''t be many who''d argue with that, this is a tough tough league and all the clubs look half-decent on their day.  I watched that QPR game last night and Granero looked a right handful, he''ll do well and might give them a kick up the jacksy.  Even Reading got that Russian fellow up front who looks like the sort of player I hoped we''d get.  I still reckon we''ll be alright but there''ll be a lot of nails bitten up until April.

Has there ever been a season when we haven''t been favourites for relegation, regardless of what league we were in? Even the inaugral year of the Premier League we were tipped for the drop, yet finished third. I will never listen to pundits relegation predictions, they seem to automatically base them on prior bias, rather than how the squad is currently set up.I''m confident we have a better squad than last season, without losing anyone important. I am extremely optimistic after such a good performance yesterday. Lawro et al can p*ss off. OTBC.  

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Mark_Lawrensons_Predictions_2011-12.html

Brilliant! I sincerely thank you Newcastle uni canary. My point illustrated perfectly. He did indeed only predict 8 wins for us all season. His weird predictor final table has the big names/ big teams totally dominating, this despite the performances of lesser reputable teams throughout the season. Poor Swans got it even worse than us! Well found, Sir!

As I said in the OP, I don''t generally get wound up about it but even the coolest amongst you must admit that the fact they don''t learn and always go with the safe bet, does get tiresome after a while. Point taken on ''fuel for the fire'' though.

Better to be under rated than over rated cause it takes the pressure and expectations of you!

I remember being in 7th place in the Premiership at Xmas 1994 and then we ended up being relegated!

From what I saw of the QPR and Spurs games, if we play like that regularly and get sharper in front of goal with a bit more luck thrown in as well then we probably won''t get relegated!

My only concern is an injury crisis amongst our threadbare strikers would see us struggle bigtime!

to be fair to them, unless theyve studied our last two performances closely what they will see is a team murdered 5-0 on the first day of the season and then drop 2 home points vs QPR before a good draw yesterday......we''d pobably say much the same about another team with that record from the first 3 matches if we hadnt watched them?

I hope they keep writing us off, it encourages teams to be complacent against us. We''ll be fine and they''ll claim they predicted it from the start.